baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

Inside Out has had a rather disappointing set of numbers since opening weekend.

I mean, being original and having stunning reviews should have ensured much better numbers than what we are seeing. Will it even beat MU on the weekend?

For me, legs are as important as opening as if the legs are mediocre there is less fun tracking the run.

Inside Out will obviously have a better 4th than MU but Minions still arrives the week after and besides the opening, IO has shown no signs of being able to withstand Minions better than MU could withstand DM2.

Jurassic World, even if it fails to reach Titanic or whatever has already had a superb run. In the top 10 in less than two weeks, second weekend and week records, $1b etc.

Man of Steel is the movie I've been comparing it to this week. Other than the horrible Wednesday drop for JP4, the two of them are pretty much in line with each other day to day. Man of Steel jumped almost 40% on its third Saturday (which was June 29th). That kind of jump for JP4 pushes it pretty close to $50m or over for the weekend.

Why are you comparing JW to MOS, which had like horrible legs? :P

I mean, being original and having stunning reviews should have ensured much better numbers than what we are seeing. Will it even beat MU on the weekend?

For me, legs are as important as opening as if the legs are mediocre there is less fun tracking the run.

Inside Out will obviously have a better 4th than MU but Minions still arrives the week after and besides the opening, IO has shown no signs of being able to withstand Minions better than MU could withstand DM2.

Jurassic World, even if it fails to reach Titanic or whatever has already had a superb run. In the top 10 in less than two weeks, second weekend and week records, $1b etc.

I think it could. MU only made $45M on it's 2nd weekend.

I see people have boarded the 'I'm not surprised about Ted 2' train, but I haven't - regardless of quality sequels to comedy smashes usually open huge.

I think lots of us aren't surprised because it was easy to sense the complete lack of buzz leading to release. You're right though, most first sequels to comedy hits open huge. Ted 2 is acting more like it's Ted 3. That's usually when the comedy franchises take big hits.

• Like 2

It's a Pixar film.

Their second weekend drops for their original films behave like second weekend drops for sequels, 45%-50% drops for their recent films. It is the rush factor from the diehard Pixar fans on OW. :)

Edited by Mojoguy

If this weekend is disappointing for new openers then....

Save us, Terminator Genisys!

Remember, Terminator and Magic Mike open on Wednesday next week. Well, actually Tuesday at 7pm, so coming up in just 4 days.

And as with most Wednesday openers, the question asked on this board will be "is that a good number?" or "is that a good number for Thursday?"

Why are you comparing JW to MOS, which had like horrible legs? :P

Just comparing the daily percentages because their runs are on basically the same day of the calendar. The percentage decreases are similar once you take out the Father's Day boost from Sunday. Even the Discount Tuesday jumps were pretty similar this week between the two.

You're right though, most first sequels to comedy hits open huge. Ted 2 is acting more like it's Ted 3. That's usually when the comedy franchises take big hits.

Blame it on AMWTDITW

(Not really of course, but it's probably not much of a stretch to say that AMWTDITW didn't help sell a single ticket to Ted 2.)

• Like 1

PDC and I said earlier that IO would not see that huge jump today. It's increasing as much as TS3 did its second Friday.

Comparisons:

Inside Out: +35%

TS3: +37%

MU: +51%

Cars: +73%

Brave: +56%

Wall-E: +7.5%

Ratatouille: +20%

Cars 2: +52%

What are you talking about? A $14.7m Friday gives IO a 55% jump from thursday.

:ph34r:

You mean actually "beloved", or "beloved" as used by BO prognosticators? In terms of the latter:

Anchorman was "beloved", Anchorman 2 barely outsold its admissions.

How to Train Your Dragon was "beloved", and we all know how the sequel performed domestically.

Kung Fu Panda was "beloved", its sequel also underperformed domestically.

Happy Feet was "beloved", and its sequel absolutely tanked.

And The Avengers being "beloved" didn't really help Age of Ultron.

The only recent films I can think of that were talked up as "beloved" and actually had their first sequel break out (or at least have a monster opening) were The Hangover and Pitch Perfect. Pitch Perfect absolutely fits the "original was beloved, sequel breaks out" template everyone always says is going to happen to other sequels that end up not actually taking off.

And in the case of TH2, I think it might have actually had the potential to outgross TH1 off of that huge OW, if the film had actually been good and hadn't gotten bad WOM from the people who did see it over the first weekend. (And just as TH2 opened huge off of the goodwill of TH1, TH3 dropped like a rock coming off of the buyer's remorse of TH2.)

Most of the big sequel breakouts in recent years have not been sequels to originals that people on BO forums have talked up as being "beloved". Despicable Me wasn't hailed as "beloved." Transformers wasn't hailed as "beloved."

Anchorman and HTTYD were definitely beloved. Anchorman was a cult classic and Dragon not only had phenomenal legs, but almost every single person I spoke to in real life liked it a lot - and this goes on even years after it was released. The whole pet thing it has going on for it surely helped.

Anchorman never needed a sequel however and waited way too long for one it did.

I honestly don't know why Dragon disappointed. I wanted a sequel.

Panda I'm not sure was beloved. J-Katz announced a billion sequels after opening weekend. I'm sure everyone took note.

Happy Feet was not beloved.

The Avengers was definitely not beloved. Everyone knows the sequels are endless with the Marvel universe. Half their movies aren't even full stories but setting up shit. Well received, yes. Beloved, no.

I know you're saying the same thing but I don't think the GA thinks that those three movies are beloved so your point is moot.

Passing Avengers is still guaranteed. It's got a 43m lead for God's sake!! That is too big a lead to cover and after 3rd weekend no less! That too when it has the extra advantage of july eekdays coming. The Chances of passing Titanic are a little tougher but still no worse than 50:50.

I don't know exactly how much of a factor it was, but does anyone else feel that Kunis' absence might've hurt this?

I know she's not a bonafide star, Jupiter Ascending alone already proves that, but the first film was really about the relationship between Kunis and Wahlberg. Then the sequel comes along and just writes her off like no one would notice? I think this might have turned off a few people.

lol at Ted 2. And MAJOR lol to people who said this was going to kill Spy. 

I called it!  I said major disappointment because of

-gay marriage burnout (despite a relentless push by corporate America)

-the MacFarlane brand of humor - middle-aged dudes dressing like teenagers, guzzling beer, and making pop culture references - is completely exhausted.  I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did

If I'd been paying more attention, I would've spearheaded the under 50m OW thread.

lololololol

I see people have boarded the 'I'm not surprised about Ted 2' train, but I haven't - regardless of quality sequels to comedy smashes usually open huge.

Ted was not a comedy smash.

People kept and keep telling me that its legs point to it being well received and what not but it has always seemed to have lukewarm reception to me.

I'm glad it's disappointing. The first shouldn't have made so much for such a crappy movie.

Disclaimer here to say I hardly find any American comedy funny anyway, at least not to the extent Americans seem to find it funny. Bridesmaids, Hangover, Knocked Up, Sandler etc. But in this case it seems the masses agree with my own perception that Ted was a dud.

I called it!  I said major disappointment because of

-gay marriage burnout (despite a relentless push by corporate America)

-the MacFarlane brand of humor - middle-aged dudes dressing like teenagers, guzzling beer, and making pop culture references - is completely exhausted.  I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did

If I'd been paying more attention, I would've spearheaded the under 50m OW thread.

lololololol

Wtf. It did not disappoint because of gay marriage burnout.

It's people like you who often sully legitimate claims of pre-opening calls with stupid reasons for your purported calls.

• Like 4