Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

Of the four biggest movies playing this weekend, there's no reason IO won't have the best Saturday hold. Up and Ice Age 3 in 2009 dropped 31-34% on Saturday. Transformers dropped 41% and the female-driven films dropped 45%. 

Are you comparing Transformers 2 with JP4? I don't think you're giving JP4 enough credit for what it has already proven every single Saturday of its run. From a pure WOM standpoint I think it's a bad comparison too.

how is 50 mil on MMxxl a bomb?

Yeah Magic Mike XXL not a bomb the movie cost 15 million and would put it on pace to matching the first movies domestic total. Terminator on the other hand, 50-55 million would be a subpar start. It would have to have decent summer legs to reach near 120 million. Then gross probably 300 million internationally to break even. While it would probably have to do 350 million internationally for the sequels to happen.

Edited by gb0708
  • Like 1

I just want to remind everyone The Lone Ranger did 48.7M on his 5 day 4th of July opening and ended with 89.3M. That is all. 

Yes, all this floppage stuff I am reading. I agree, please remember this is the fourth of July weekend. Terminator fans will still go see Terminator.

I am sure it isn't as bad as Lone Ranger...  Yes, i agree with you

50M are not confirmed yet. I think it will happen, but it might not.

Even if it did 30 I wouldn't Consider it bomb. Disappointment yes because it open less the the 1st film but not a bomb considering the budget is small.

TG/T5 was always going to be a film that would need to earn back its fanbase' trust(a la Batman Begins). While the reviews don't exactly look like they've done that, it was inevitable that it would start out soft. (Who knows, maybe this will be a crowd pleaser)

Although I distinctly remember saying these very same things about TS. Is it really that hard to make a halfway decent Terminator film without Cameron?

Yeah,  I never understood why anyone was expecting a big opening for TG. You don't get that luxury coming off a film like TS. It was always going to have to be a WOM movie. And that looks doubtful now. Audiences and critics don't always see eye to eye, but there's rarely that huge of a discrepancy between them that the GA would love a movie holding a 20 something percent on RT.

Yeah,  I never understood why anyone was expecting a big opening for TG. You don't get that luxury coming off a film like TS. It was always going to have to be a WOM movie. And that looks doubtful now. Audiences and critics don't always see eye to eye, but there's rarely that huge of a discrepancy between them that the GA would love a movie holding a 20 something percent on RT.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of positive comments on imdb so far.

Even if it did 30 I wouldn't Consider it bomb. Disappointment yes because it open less the the 1st film but not a bomb considering the budget is small.

Well, I never called it bomb either. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, there are a lot of positive comments on imdb so far.

that the IMDB message board trolls. If a movie is good, they bash it. If a movie sux ars then they love it.

Stupid trolls, lol

that the IMDB message board trolls. If a movie is good, they bash it. If a movie sux ars then they love it.

Stupid trolls, lol

Not quite.  I always filter it out by chronological order.  That gets you a better idea of what is real and what isn't.

• Like 1

so far I calculate for the 3-day weekend

Magic Mike??

Terminator - 33.82

Inside Out - 32.64

Jurassic World - 31.00

3-day weekend for me

Magic Mike 42 million

IO 33 MIllion

JW 28 Million

Terminator 23 Million

How do you get that?