Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

Magic Mike has a much lower bar of what constitutes a good number. It's perfectly fine.

It'll do great relative to budget, but based on this number it ain't breaking out big like MM1, and that makes for a lame holiday weekend.

Difference between this and a comic book reboot is that Terminator wasn't based on existing material. At least with Batman Begins you could say "we're throwing out the old movies and looking at some different comic books for inspiration."

With Terminator when you fuck with the story that was created in the original, it can create a mess. There just isn't the wealth of source material to draw on like with comic book characters and it could easily be seen as disrespectful to the original story if you pull some crazy twist on it, which apparently this movie does. Some people will be completely on-board but quite a few probably won't.

Doesn't Batman has among the richest CB material that makes it easy to reboot. I wonder how would a Batman Beyond movie would do.

T5 will bomb pretty hard, the highest OW from 2.3m previews or less in the summer was Hercules under 30m, and that opened on Friday.

Under 20m OW incoming

this gonna be good

iRpDD.gif

• Like 3

T5 will bomb pretty hard, the highest OW from 2.3m previews or less in the summer was Hercules under 30m, and that opened on Friday.

Under 20m OW incoming

this gonna be good

Read all of that in Shirley's voice.

• Like 7

Bad preview for Terminator Genisys, but this stil gives me hope.

Terminator Genisys goes wide in 3,758 locations today. Over the weekend, Terminator Genisys collected $8.4M in 10 foreign territories. According to Fandango’s presales, Terminator Genisys is pacing ahead of San Andreas at the same point in its sales cycle.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/magic-mike-xxl-starts-dancing-at-tuesday-night-previews-inside-out-crosses-200m-1201465698/

• Like 1

Doesn't Batman has among the richest CB material that makes it easy to reboot. I wonder how would a Batman Beyond movie would do.

Yes, Batman has some of the best graphic novels out there from the last 30 years. There was some pretty strong stuff for Batman in 70's comics as well. But heck, even some of the earliest material from the late 30's/early 40's inspired films like B89 and TDK.

Batman Beyond would probably do pretty well at this moment. Franchise is in a good place with the public thanks to the Arkham video games and the Nolan movies.

• Like 1

Terminator Genisys goes wide in 3,758 locations today. Over the weekend, Terminator Genisys collected $8.4M in 10 foreign territories. According to Fandango’s presales, Terminator Genisys is pacing ahead of San Andreas at the same point in its sales cycle.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/magic-mike-xxl-starts-dancing-at-tuesday-night-previews-inside-out-crosses-200m-1201465698/

Yeah but didn't fandango say Ted 2 was outselling the original Ted last week?

• Like 2

Yes, Batman has some of the best graphic novels out there from the last 30 years. There was some pretty strong stuff for Batman in 70's comics as well. But heck, even some of the earliest material from the late 30's/early 40's inspired films like B89 and TDK.

Batman Beyond would probably do pretty well at this moment. Franchise is in a good place with the public thanks to the Arkham video games and the Nolan movies.

It would be awesome if WB can convince Nolan to at least approve in continuing Batman Beyond in the same universe may be 10 years in future. Bale as old Wayne and some young actor as Batman in a futuristic Gotham would be a nice departure while still retaining strong Batman brand. I am more interested in that than Justice League world.

Yeah but didn't fandango say Ted 2 was outselling the original Ted last week?

I'm getting tired of Fandango announcing "X movie" is outselling "Y movie from three years ago". Doesn't mean shit anymore.

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 1

San Andreas was not a fanbase movie so it would hardly attract much presales. Most of its business would be walk ups. Terminator is a franchise with a fanbase.

Whenever the box office explodes, a "cool down" period always follows, especially when the movies released during that period don't look immensely appealing. At least this Independence Day weekend won't be nearly as boring as the deadly dull frame this time last year.

Which I would say is appropriate. Enjoy the 4th of July with family and friends. Fuck the box office, haha.

4th of July used to be a killer at the box office for new openers, with movies like Spider-Man 2, Transformers 1, War of the Worlds, MIB 2, Hancock, Superman Returns, and more. And while DM2 did great a couple of years ago, the 4th has been weaker lately when it comes to live action movies. Last year was an absolute disaster, with a Transformers holdover and Tammy leading the weekend.

It would be awesome if WB can convince Nolan to at least approve in continuing Batman Beyond in the same universe may be 10 years in future. Bale as old Wayne and some young actor as Batman in a futuristic Gotham would be a nice departure while still retaining strong Batman brand. I am more interested in that than Justice League world.

It would be possible and a nice tribute to Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, especially given the parallel between the two (Bruce's fake death at the end of the story). But for Batman Beyond it would be pretty cool if they got Bruce Timm involved. Matter of fact, I think Timm should be involved in every live action Batman production.