Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

http://variety.com/2015/data/box-office/digital-tracking-terminator-mike-1201532942/

Digital Tracking has Terminator Genisys at 51 million in five days  and Magic Mike at 42 million in five days.

“Terminator: Genisys” actually compares favorably to critical darling “Mad Max: Fury Road” on video views, with an advantage of about 50 million views between YouTube and Facebook. Coupled with an almost identical search volume, “Terminator: Genisys” looks set to top the $45 million “Mad Max” pulled over its three-day opening weekend. Arnie has a couple of extra days in his favor, too, which should see him able to blast his way past $50 million for the five days

and

On Twitter, “Magic Mike XXL” is ahead of “Gone Girl,” which opened to $37.5 million with 150,000 tweets and “No Good Deed,” which opened to $24.3 million with 100,000 tweets, suggesting it will play well with both younger and older female audiences. This sexy sequel looks set to top $40 million for the five-day weekend, potentially going as high as $46 million.

Terminator Genisys would need to make 55 million in 5 days to match Fury Road total. While the first Magic Mike was at 49 million after 5 days.

None of this is taking into account the current estimates. If this actually ends up making 9.5-10 million today, I don't think it's getting above 50.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Damn Paramount really had to f*ck this up... seriously, they had one simple job, do a god damn good terminator film..

btw i'll be seeing it tomorrow, with the lowest expectations ever :3

Actually both T3 & T: Salvation have some redeeming qualities.

None of this is taking into account the current estimates. If this actually ends up making 9.5-10 million today, I don't think it's getting above 50.

I disagree it's way to early to call that. With a lot of people off work Friday, Genisys Thursdays numbers might be ahead of the actual Wednesday numbers(without the previews). While a 32-33 million is still very possible for this movie as well.

Also theses openings are not that great either but Magic Mike seems to be more of a profit than Terminator.

Budgets are the reason. 50 million is great over 5 days for a movie that cost 15 million. For a movie that cost 155 million, well it's not good and will need solid legs and strong international numbers to be successful now. That said, it's not a 215 million dollar movie like Lone Ranger either.

• Like 1

Can't keep track of who's a fan of what. Are you a fan of the ending?

Ya I think the ending is great, overall I think T3 is a solid big budget scifi action movie.  It got some warts for sure, but I'd take it over all the comic book movies these days.

Edited by Ozymandias

JP3 still made over 300m WW. Terminator Genisys will probably be lucky to reach that much worldwide.  ;)

Genisys still easily makes 350 million worldwide as long as it opens in China. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over 150 million worldwide by Monday. The Terminator movies have done huge money in Japan and South Korea as well.

Edited by gb0708