Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

WB - Vacation or Agent of UNCLE

FOX - Fantastic Four

Sony - The Meryl Streep movie

Impossible. There is no way the budget was high enough for it to even remotely become a bomb. Besides, Sony already had their epic loser this summer with Aloha.

• Like 6

I honstley do not know why Hollywood thinks they need to bring these series back from the dead. Jurassic Park was a success Terminator however well nothing was ever going to top Terminator 2 and now there bringing back Ghostbusters in a different twist we'll see how that goes next year.

It's really quite simple.  As some of you here know, I have a somewhat decent on line relationship with Brad Fuller, the producer behind films like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and many many others.  He told me in an email once that studios are so hesitant about financing original films today because of three things.  1) the cost of making movies, including distribution and marketing 2) the HV market is dead 3) no built in audience makes it a tougher sell.  

So studios are much more willing to finance projects that have built in audiences already.  Doesn't mean that the films will be good but that's just the reality of it.  The film industry has changed in the last 5 years, drastically.  

This is coming from a very well known producer.  So there you go.

• Like 5

Impossible. There is no way the budget was high enough for it to even remotely become a bomb. Besides, Sony already had their epic loser this summer with Aloha.

Forgot about that shit because it is FOX OS :lol: 

It is interesting that after a couple years of trying new original action pictures together and seperate Arnie and Sly have just returned to do their most popular characters again (for the last time?) this year. of course creed will make less than genisys and still be seen as way more successful.

He told me in an email once that studios are so hesitant about financing original films today because of three things.  1) the cost of making movies, including distribution and marketing 2) the HV market is dead 3) no built in audience makes it a tougher sell.  

It's actually so easy for Hollywood to look at Tomorrowland, Chappie, Jupiter Ascending, etc. from this year and go, "Well these movies failed because they had no built in audience." Sure, in reality they failed because they were all bad, and marketing bad original movies well is neigh impossible. But increasingly the investment doesn't seem worth the risk for them. Even a critically lauded and audience appreciated movie like Edge of Tomorrow can't recoup any form of its megabudget. 

• Like 2

It is interesting that after a couple years of trying new original action pictures together and seperate Arnie and Sly have just returned to do their most popular characters again (for the last time?) this year. of course creed will make less than genisys and still be seen as way more successful.

Because of the films budgets.

I'd wager Creed will also have more heart and be a creatively better film. 

• Like 1

It's actually so easy for Hollywood to look at Tomorrowland, Chappie, Jupiter Ascending, etc. from this year and go, "Well these movies failed because they had no built in audience." Sure, in reality they failed because they were all bad, and marketing bad original movies well is neigh impossible. But increasingly the investment doesn't seem worth the risk for them. Even a critically lauded and audience appreciated movie like Edge of Tomorrow can't recoup any form of its megabudget. 

San Andreas did fine and it was also original. 

I honstley do not know why Hollywood thinks they need to bring these series back from the dead. Jurassic Park was a success Terminator however well nothing was ever going to top Terminator 2 and now there bringing back Ghostbusters in a different twist we'll see how that goes next year.

Im interested to see how Independence Day 2 does as well. There is another Friday the 13th reboot, Finding Dory, Ice Age 5, another Bourne movie---- I feel like we're going back in time for 2016.