CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Inside Out did wonders for Pixar's image. Before it released, people were accusing PIXAR of having sunk to the level of cash-grabbing. It reached its peak when Toy Story 4 was announced (and BTW, I've heard rumblings that TS4 won't really be a true TS4, but that it will be some kind of story taking place in the Toy Story universe but supposedly not centering around the main characters of the original trilogy, not involving humans at all. So basically, that it will be more a spin-off than a sequel?)

Boy, what one great movie can do to "rehabilitate" a studio whose reputation was "declining".

Minions is a cash grab, make no mistake.

This one has less story than the previous 2 DM movies. Lotsa action and goofy stuff, but we shall see whether Minions alone is enough to go beyond DM2's $368M. Universal has another $1B WW grosser here? !!!

• Like 1

Does mahamaha not realize all movies are cash grabs? This is a business. Business exists to make money.

Oh no, another discussion about what "cash grab" means...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Inside Out did wonders for Pixar's image. Before it released, people were accusing PIXAR of having sunk to the level of cash-grabbing. It reached its peak when Toy Story 4 was announced (and BTW, I've heard rumblings that TS4 won't really be a true TS4, but that it will be some kind of story taking place in the Toy Story universe but supposedly not centering around the main characters of the original trilogy, not involving humans at all. So basically, that it will be more a spin-off than a sequel?)

Boy, what one great movie can do to "rehabilitate" a studio whose reputation was "declining".

Stop smoking the pipe, nothing was wrong with Pixar lol. People overreact to everything, it's the most influential animation studio in the world & has been for a decade now.

I'm not smoking the pipe. I'm pointing out the fallacy of the perception that anything was seriously wrong with Pixar. My point is, they were being pilloried in some circles, up until Inside Out came out and reminded them "Oh wait, Pixar DOES still make good movies!"

Edited by TServo2049

This one has less story than the previous 2 DM movies. Lotsa action and goofy stuff, but we shall see whether Minions alone is enough to go beyond DM2's $368M. Universal has another $1B WW grosser here? !!!

Pixar had Cars 2 & then Cars land so studios def can compromise artistic integrity for the power of the $$$$ merchandise machine.

• Like 1

I like how Pixar doesn't give a shit about the people complaining about them making sequels 

Stop smoking the pipe, nothing was wrong with Pixar lol. People overreact to everything, it's the most influential animation studio in the world & has been for a decade now.

Plus moviegoers could really care less about Pixar's quality. They just going to be the theaters to be entertained.

I want this to obliterate the animated records, both OW and DOM total. Maybe then well be done with all this 'Minions is only for kids, adults wont enjoy it'. Speaking of, it has ridiculously strong late night sellouts here and a lot of them are high end expensive shows, so adults are definitely interested. 

• Like 1

I'm not smoking the pipe. I'm pointing out the fallacy of the perception that anything was wrong with Pixar. My point is, they were being pilloried in some circles, up until Inside Out came out and reminded them "Oh wait, Pixar DOES still make good movies!"

My point is that perception is insane, the studio is a major force in the Disney brand. Nothing has changed there.

• Like 1

I'm not smoking the pipe. I'm pointing out the fallacy of the perception that anything was seriously wrong with Pixar. My point is, they were being pilloried in some circles, up until Inside Out came out and reminded them "Oh wait, Pixar DOES still make good movies!"

Most of the general public could care less about how good Pixar's films really are.

Edited by Insidearcher