CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Those newcomer directors get a HUGE boost to their careers after directing their first mega blockbuster though. I don't think many of them mind being lead around by the studio. :P

Where's that boost though? Webb hasn't made another movie, and Trevorrow seems like he'll be sucked back up into another megafranchise. I've never heard of the "one for you, one for me" system actually working in today's Hollywood. 

• Like 2

Where's that boost though? Webb hasn't made another movie, and Trevorrow seems like he'll be sucked back up into another megafranchise. I've never heard of the "one for you, one for me" system actually working in today's Hollywood. 

Nolan and Snyder. 

• Like 1

No film is a "solo" film. Spy is a Melissa McCarthy vehicle.

True. That is what I meant. Maybe solo wasn't the right word but in her other 100m hits she split the honors evenly. Not here.

• Like 1

Ummm...Inception.

And Sucker Punch. Also, Peter Berg. Battleship was the studio's project and in exchange Peter Berg would be able to make Lone Survivor.

And Sucker Punch. Also, Peter Berg. Battleship was the studio's project and in exchange Peter Berg would be able to make Lone Survivor.

Sucker Punch and Battleship were both enormous flops. WB/Nolan both benefited a shitload from the "one for you, one for me" on Inception and TDKR.

Nolan and Snyder. 

I'll give you Nolan because Inception only happened because Nolan agreed to come back for a third Batman. But even then that man has full creative control over his movies. He's not slave to whatever producer/executive. 

And sometimes the "one for me" is the far far bigger hit.  :)

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

I'll give you Nolan because Inception only happened because Nolan agreed to come back for a third Batman. But even then that man has full creative control over his movies. He's not slave to whatever producer/executive. 

And sometimes the "one for me" is the far far bigger hit.  :)

Guys like Nolan, Burton, Verbinski seemed to have A LOT control over their recent mega budget studio films.

It didn't only happen because of TDKR, but TDKR probably helped give it a really big budget. The script went back many years and I think Nolan said WB had greenlit the film back around the time of Insomnia, but I'm guessing the budget was nowhere close to what we ended up seeing in the actual movie.

Either way they both made a shitload of money on Inception/TDKR. Even when Nolan goes off the rails with a 3 hour hard sci-fi movie, he still delivers the goods with $670m worldwide. That's why the studios love him.

It didn't only happen because of TDKR, but TDKR probably helped give it a really big budget. The script went back many years and I think Nolan said WB had greenlit the film back around the time of Insomnia, but I'm guessing the budget was nowhere close to what we ended up seeing in the actual movie.

Either way they both made a shitload of money on Inception/TDKR. Even when Nolan goes off the rails with a 3 hour hard sci-fi movie, he still delivers the goods with $670m worldwide. That's why the studios love him.

I feel though he might have a tougher time enforcing no-3D the next time around.

I feel though he might have a tougher time enforcing no-3D the next time around.

He can do whatever he wants. I sense his next movie will be with WB again. WB will just give him a blank check and that is it. 

• Like 1

Depends on what his next film is, I think after directing big budget films, it might be good for them to direct something that smaller in scale.