CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

james bond has always been a reactionary franchise anyway. it's been years and years of "oh, that's cool right now? let's put bond in it"

The most embarrassing moment was when Bond aped Star Wars with Moonraker. :rofl:

• Like 3

Using Marvel as an example again- I think Daredevil is some of the finest work in the MCU, and it's of completely different tone and feel than the movies, and doesn't seem studio made at all. Obviously it's a TV show on Netflix, not a major movie, but it's gained a massive audience and widespread acclaim without having to bend its will to references to Infinity Rings and power orbs. Presenting the characters, story, and world in an interesting way should be the first priority, and fitting the pieces into the larger puzzle should come AFTER that's ensured. 

It's completely studio made and Marvel was very hands on with producers who are also creators whose job it is to make it good, make it entertaining and fit it within the MCU.  Daredevil fills the street level super-hero niche for them and all the other street heroes on Netflix will fit together and all will exist under the greater MCU world.

At the very top it's Feige's job as producer and the man who runs the studio, which he is immensely talented and yes creative at, to make it all work.

He's knows the material on an interconnected and individual level that almost any director he will hire does not.  That was his job when he was working at Fox all these years ago, that's how he climbed to a position of power, that's how he created the MCU and made it immensely popular, that's why he's the boss.  That's why when Sony decided to work with Marvel on Spider-man they didn't insist on a director they insisted on Feige as producer.

• Like 4

What the fuck, dude? An animated movie hitting 300m DOM is NEVER "mediocre".

How about 260m? Because that's where Pixar's outing is at right now.

And for Minions that is chump change.

Not to mention the laughable

Foreign:  $117,300,000

of Inside Out.

Lol, too late, I mentioned it, so I burst laughing again. Ahahahahah!

Surprised at the Minions number. I think that number is fine. My only disappointment comes from the marketing side. I don't care if I'm pessimistic fuck you, they put those bad boys on AMAZON BOXES. The marketing was off the chain and I feel like with a sub-110 weekend, a lot of it just went to waste. 

McDonald's decorated in Minions, Minions appearing on Shark Week, national morning news shows, ESPN, etc. And then all the insane marketing prior to this week. As I'm typing this theres a Minions commercial (not a movie spot) popping up on TV. Hell they even got free publicity with the "Minions McDonalds toys are swearing!" controversy. Universal did an insane job marketing, I mean insane, but now I feel like a lot of it wasn't even necessary. They probably didn't need to be on Amazon boxes to drum up huge awareness. IO pulled $90 and didn't do even half as much. Main tie in I see for IO is a State Farm commercial.

Cue others coming in and saying I'm overreacting, but i don't give a flying shit so don't bother. I'm still happy with over $100M+ and I think this will play well throughout the rest of the summer, but I just honestly feel like this is one of those insane marketing efforts that didn't pay off as much as it couldve. It's only day 1, maybe it'll pay off in the long run, I guess we'll see. But we can probably scratch Amazon off the list for DM3.

• Like 3

We need records in our veins to live.

So when BvS opens up to 160M next March, we should just expect this place to be completely ridiculous.

• Like 2

So when BvS opens up to 160M next March, we should just expect this place to be completely ridiculous.

Yes. Haven't you seen the OW record predictions being thrown around? :lol:

It's completely studio made and Marvel was very hands on with producers who are also creators whose job it is to make it good, make it entertaining and fit it within the MCU.  Daredevil fills the street level super-hero niche for them and all the other street heroes on Netflix will fit together and all will exist under the greater MCU world.

At the very top it's Feige's job as producer and the man who runs the studio, which he is immensely talented and yes creative at, to make it all work.

He's knows the material on an interconnected and individual level that almost any director he will hire does not.  That was his job when he was working at Fox all these years ago, that's how he climbed to a position of power, that's how he created the MCU and made it immensely popular, that's why he's the boss.  That's why when Sony decided to work with Marvel on Spider-man they didn't insist on a director they insisted on Feige as producer.

Yeah and people forget how young Feige is, he was in his mid twenties when he became an intern for Lauren Shuler Donner back in 1998-1999 on the first X men film.

The fact that he has been involved with every Marvel film since shows that he really made an impression on people.

He was 34 when he contracted a 500m credit to do the first 3 Marvel studios films.

At 40, the guy became one of the most powerful Hollywood players.

I have nothing but admiration for the guy, he s probably not perfect, but who is ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1