CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

If this still can't beat Shrek 3 even with inflation+3D+PLF, all it shows is how much of a beast Shrek 3 was.

As I said before, my opinion is that Minions is cinematic cotton candy and is no more/less "deserving" of the record as Shrek 3 was.

If anything, Finding Dory will get $125-127 million OW and just narrowly take the record next year.

If Dory can't do it, the record will stay until the 2020s lol. 

If anything, Finding Dory will get $125-127 million OW and just narrowly take the record next year.

If Dory can't do it, the record will stay until the 2020s lol. 

THE INCREDIBLES II might do it.

If this still can't beat Shrek 3 even with inflation+3D+PLF, all it shows is how much of a beast Shrek 3 was.

As I said before, my opinion is that Minions is cinematic cotton candy and is no more/less "deserving" of the record as Shrek 3 was.

Little in film history was worse than Shrek 3.

Though it did give us a series of Tim & Eric gems:

http://youtu.be/aWLiZhdvZ_Y

You mean 3-day beast as a direct result of Shrek 1/Shrek 2. The others were actual beasts overall in the WOM department. Shrek 3 is like SM3. Benefited a ton from the previous 2 and then collapsed after opening.

• Like 2

druv10, I was going to add a remark about Shrek 3 being one of the biggest "goodwill from the last breakout movie" OWs, but couldn't figure out a way to phrase it. You're right, it shows how big Shrek 2 was, and how much goodwill it had, and how anticipated Shrek 3 was. (I meant it was a beast on OW, after all.)

Disney's Hercules got screwed then

Hercules

Domestic Total Gross: $99,112,101 Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: June 15, 1997 Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 32 min. MPAA Rating: G Production Budget: $85 million

I'm one of those people who remembered that awesome movie.

It's sad that it didn't make more than what it ended up with.....cause I loved Hercules.

But still did well with nearly $253M WW.

I hope Disney's re-releases it in theaters when it's the perfect time. Just so many people can feel the nostalgia watching it.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

THE INCREDIBLES II might do it.

If it opens over Thanksgiving 2017, this sadly won't happen. It will probably do $110-130 million over the 5 day, but the Wednesday OD would prevent the record. Its actual weekend would be $80-90 million. 

During the summer of 2018? If it's on par with, or surpasses the original, $125-130 million OW is certainly possible. 

Edited by mahnamahna

I just realized now BOM counts the 900k Thursday midnights of Shrek 3 separately. So... if Minions does 121.7M or more does it break the record officially?

You mean 3-day beast as a direct result of Shrek 1/Shrek 2. The others were actual beasts overall in the WOM department. Shrek 3 is like SM3. Benefited a ton from the previous 2 and then collapsed after opening.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. As I just said, I was going to add clarification, but couldn't figure out how to say it (and know that by the time I would have finished editing, people would have replied to the original version).

druv10, I was going to add a remark about Shrek 3 being one of the biggest "goodwill from the last breakout movie" OWs, but couldn't figure out a way to phrase it. You're right, it shows how big Shrek 2 was, and how much goodwill it had, and how anticipated Shrek 3 was. (I meant it was a beast on OW, after all.)

What's interesting about it...Shrek 2 might have hit $120m opening in 2004 if it opened on a Friday. So Shrek 3 didn't even increase that much (if at all) from the previous movie's opening, despite incredible legs and amazing WOM for Shrek 2.

• Like 1

I just realized now BOM counts the 900k Thursday midnights of Shrek 3 separately. So... if Minions does 121.7M or more does it break the record officially?

That 900k was actually from 7pm previews. I remember because I was there.

I WAS THERE, CJOHN.

• Like 3

I think DM3 would have beaten the record. I think Minions will fall short by a few millions with a 117-121M OW.

I think DM3 can beat the record, if it's moving to a safer release date. It's a direct sequel to DM2, after all. And it could be the better film.

Universal just have to massively market the shit out of that movie and have many theater counts as well.