grim22

The Emoji Movie | Sony Pictures Animation | July 28 2017 | Reviews coming in, more entertaining to read those than watch the movie. Current consensus: " 🎥 ➡️ 💩💩💩💩"

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

The saddest truth about this film is it will not lose money nor contend for flop of the summer.

Not going to see a sequel either but it'll just be another middling film as far as returns for a SONY movie go. 

It got announced for Christmas 2019 :lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Son of a bitch...  

www.variety.com/2017/film/news/emoji-movie-2-release-date-302784978/

An Emoji Movie sequel was dated for 12/25/19. Tony Leondis is to return to both write and direct. Interestingly Micheal McCullers (from Boss Baby and Austin Powers) has been added on to write.  T.J. Miller is confirmed to reprise his role as Gene. 

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Son of a bitch...  

www.variety.com/2017/film/news/emoji-movie-2-release-date-302784978/

An Emoji Movie sequel was dated for 12/25/19. Tony Leondis is to return to both write and direct. Interestingly Micheal McCullers (from Boss Baby and Austin Powers) has been added on to write.  T.J. Miller is confirmed to reprise his role as Gene. 

Haven't clicked on link but I'm assuming it's Ninjago

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Emoji Movie is going to damage Sony Pictures Animation in the long run, not financially as the movie was inexpensive but future films are going to see lower audiences.

It's not a good image, when you read some of the comments for SPA on The Star's teaser.

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

More dislikes than likes as well! I think The Star will be lucky to do $10-15m OW

The type of film The Star is a $35M-$60M result domestically minimum due to the built in audience. Again I think the teaser was an attempt to attract the GA but then again the guy who wrote Open Season 4 wrote it.

Edited by YourMother

On 8/1/2017 at 1:15 PM, Jonwo said:

The Emoji Movie is going to damage Sony Pictures Animation in the long run, not financially as the movie was inexpensive but future films are going to see lower audiences.

I don't know if I agree with that. SPA isn't Disney or Pixar. Very few, if any, parents will see this as "the new Sony Pictures Animation movie", like they might with Disney or Pixar (or even DreamWorks to an extent). SPA just doesn't have the brand. Most people probably won't even know this is from Sony, and future projects' box office will probably be completely unaffected by this.

Now what I could see happening is that SPA are offered fewer potentially successful films, because of industry reputation. But audiences probably won't judge by the studio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick64 said:

I don't know if I agree with that. SPA isn't Disney or Pixar. Very few, if any, parents will see this as "the new Sony Pictures Animation movie", like they might with Disney or Pixar (or even DreamWorks to an extent). SPA just doesn't have the brand. Most people probably won't even know this is from Sony, and future projects' box office will probably be completely unaffected by this.

Now what I could see happening is that SPA are offered fewer potentially successful films, because of industry reputation. But audiences probably won't judge by the studio.

I completely agree...Sony has no rep for animated movies among GA, so its fails and successes don't really lift or drop it, unless they are literally putting out a sequel to one of their successes/failures...

I'm also not gonna drop The Star over one trailer...I've seen many good movies with woeful trailers and vice versa...and I've seen trailers improve drastically...we'll see where Sony goes with the tv advertising, which is way more crucial for family audiences anyway...if they flub that (or if they really have no product even though they have such a wonderful diverse cast and movie), then I'll predict its crash and burn...

11 hours ago, nick64 said:

The fact that none of their films this year will crack $100m at the domestic box office is concerning, even if the budgets are low enough that they don't lose money, that's not good for an animated studio and for Sony trying to compete in the family space.

9 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I completely agree...Sony has no rep for animated movies among GA, so its fails and successes don't really lift or drop it, unless they are literally putting out a sequel to one of their successes/failures...

I'm also not gonna drop The Star over one trailer...I've seen many good movies with woeful trailers and vice versa...and I've seen trailers improve drastically...we'll see where Sony goes with the tv advertising, which is way more crucial for family audiences anyway...if they flub that (or if they really have no product even though they have such a wonderful diverse cast and movie), then I'll predict its crash and burn...

I have a feeling The Star is going to be another flop, the animation looks woeful and it's not offering anything new. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I have a feeling The Star is going to be another flop, the animation looks woeful and it's not offering anything new. 

It can't flop it has an $18M budget. Absolute worst case scenario is $50M WW with $30M-$35M domestically. That cringey looking teaser imo was an attempt to attract the GA since they have their main audience locked. I'm thinking around CU numbers both domestically and worldwide. 

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

It can't flop it has an $18M budget. Absolute worst case scenario is $50M WW with $30M-$35M domestically. That cringey looking teaser imo was an attempt to attract the GA since they have their main audience locked. I'm thinking around CU numbers both domestically and worldwide. 

I doubt it'll crack $20m OW, not against Daddy Home's 2 which will eat into its family audience, I won't be surprised if it barely cracks the top 5 on OW. 

2 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

The Star is gonna do worse than Norm of the North.

Christian films tend to have an audience who'll see the movie no matter how bad. $30M is the absolute minimum for domestic numbers.

Also I doubt it'll be that bad. Then again same writer as Open Season 4.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Christian films tend to have an audience who'll see the movie no matter how bad. $30M is the absolute minimum for domestic numbers.

Also I doubt it'll be that bad. Then again same writer as Open Season 4.

I'm thinking $40-60m domestic similar to what Free Birds did in 2013.

• Like 1