grim22

The Emoji Movie | Sony Pictures Animation | July 28 2017 | Reviews coming in, more entertaining to read those than watch the movie. Current consensus: " 🎥 ➡️ 💩💩💩💩"

http://deadline.com/2015/07/emoji-movie-sony-pictures-animation-anthony-leondis-kung-fu-panda-secrets-of-the-masters-1201482768/

In a deal near seven figures, Sony Pictures Animation won a three-studio auction for an animated movie pitch centering on the Emoji, those lovable round headed figures that are as much a staple of social media correspondence as adverbs and adjectives. The project will be co-written by Eric Siegel and Anthony Leondis, with the latter directing the feature. Leondis pitched the project around to studios, with storyboards for how the movie would play out. Three studios bid–I’ve heard Warner Bros and Paramount were the others–but none more aggressively than Sony. It’s a big project for SPA president Kristine Belson, who got a quick decision from studio chief Tom Rothman to move aggressively. This appears to be a zeitgeist moment for these ideograms that hatched in Japan and have spread worldwide. Unlike like, say Lego, there are also no underlying rights here to purchase, which makes this as much a catnip idea to Hollywood as public domain fairy tales that fuel so many blockbusters. I’ve heard that another pitch is going to be shopped shortly, so there might be reason for Sony Animation to move quickly.

• Like 1

In all honesty, it reminds me of a film concept I once came up with where websites on the Internet are personified and have to face an threat from a virus, a bit like Inside Out but based on the Internet rather than human emotions. If it's like that, it has promise. Otherwise, I don't know what the hell they're going to do with this.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

In all honesty, it reminds me of a film concept I once came up with where websites on the Internet are personified and have to face an threat from a virus, a bit like Inside Out but based on the Internet rather than human emotions. If it's like that, it has promise. Otherwise, I don't know what the hell they're going to do with this.

Inside Out was what I was guessing emboldened this. Hopefully it's something like what you are saying.

• Like 2

I need to get started on a script about CAPS AND BOLD. Maybe a suspense/thriller about a really loud text that won't stop shouting at the other text messages. Maybe a comedy about twitter hashtags? Who wants to pay me a million dollars?

Edited by Eddy BRUSIER Hayes
  • Like 1