grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Summer movies I saw last year:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION

MALEFICENT

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN II

GODZILLA

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON II

LUCY

EDGE OF TOMORROW

HERCULES

I don't think I'll see as many this year.

I saw last year:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Million Dollar Arm
Godzilla
Neighbors
Chef
22 Jump Street
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Maleficent
Edge of Tomorrow
The Fault in Our Stars
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Snowpiercer
Begin Again
Guardians of the Galaxy
Boyhood
Lucy
A Most Wanted Man
Into the Storm
The Hundred-Foot Journey
Magic in the Moonlight

This summer so far I've seen:

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Mad Max: Fury Road
Tomorrowland
Pitch Perfect 2
San Andreas
Jurassic World
Inside Out
Spy
Ant-Man
Mr. Holmes
Pixels
Minions

Worth bearing in mind about Ant-Man - Guardians of the Galaxy had a similarly steep drop in its second weekend; its later legs are what pulled it to 300M and a 3.5x.

• Like 3

How is this a bad drop for Ant-Man? Its 2nd weekend will be pretty close to CA 2nd weekend, despite opening considerably lower.

150M is almost locked, and even 160M may be possible.

• Like 3

How is this a bad drop for Ant-Man? Its 2nd weekend will be pretty close to CA 2nd weekend, despite opening considerably lower.

150M is almost locked, and even 160M may be possible.

With a lower opening and a real lack of competition, it really shouldn't be bordering on -60%. This is the weekend it gets on its own before Mission Impossible and Fantastic Four brush against it.

Edited by Tree-5000

Worth bearing in mind about Ant-Man - Guardians of the Galaxy had a similarly steep drop in its second weekend; its later legs are what pulled it to 300M and a 3.5x.

GOTG also had one of the worst Augusts on record post TMNT, we went 5 weeks with a GOTG-TMNT top 2, that is how bad the new releases were that month. It gave TMNT a 3.2X as well.

GOTG also held on to IMAX for those 5 weeks, Ant-Man loses IMAX and a few PLF screens next week and the remaining PLF screens the week after.

Edited by grim22

GOTG also had one of the worst Augusts on record post TMNT, we went 5 weeks with a GOTG-TMNT top 2, that is how bad the new releases were that month. It gave TMNT a 3.2X as well.

I know, and obviously with two major action films releasing in the next couple of weeks, it's gonna be a lot more difficult for AM. I just think it's something that needs to be reminded of:)

It's tracking a bit below TS3 at the same point during its run, TS3 made 9 million in its 6th weekend, IO will do around 7.7 or 7.6

TS3 made 35 million after its 6th weekend. (so IO is around 15% behind it at the same point).

IO: 313 + (85% x 35) = 29.75 = 343 million, 

I would say between 345 and 348 million DOM

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=toystory3.htm

You forgot to add IO's 6th weekend ( ~7.6M) to its total

320.6 + 29.75= 350.35M.

• Like 1

There is definitely a box office vacuum which Rogue Nation can fill next week. Only 2 or 3 of the holdovers will likely be above 10M next week. That is a perfectly depressed box office ready for a breakout.

Vacation may do around 30-35M for the 5 day opening leaving the rest of the field wide open for Mission Impossible. If Paramount picks up the marketing in a big way, we might see a 75M+ bow.

I know, and obviously with two major action films releasing in the next couple of weeks, it's gonna be a lot more difficult for AM. I just think it's something that needs to be reminded of:)

I know..... and even with 50-55% drops on these two weekends, it will still finish with 150M+, which is very good for a superhero like Ant-Man.

There is definitely a box office vacuum which Rogue Nation can fill next week. Only 2 or 3 of the holdovers will likely be above 10M next week. That is a perfectly depressed box office ready for a breakout.

Vacation may do around 30-35M for the 5 day opening leaving the rest of the field wide open for Mission Impossible. If Paramount picks up the marketing in a big way, we might see a 75M+ bow.

Nah we won't see $75m, very little chance that happens.

• Like 1

The fact that you are saying "If the studio picks up the marketing" just 5 days before the film opens is pretty telling, tbh.