grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

If I was Marvel I'd start getting nervous about Doctor Strange and Black Panther as well. They aren't very well known characters either.

It depends where the bar is.

The bar used to be 350-450 m WW. That was enough to earn a sequel.

But now the bar has been raised. Marvel has 5 franchises that can pull in over 600 m each.

But Marvel might lower the bar again to rebuild MCU after Chris Evans and RDJ retire.

If that's the case, Black Panther and Dr. Strange making around 500 m would be a perfectly acceptable launching point.

• Like 3

People said Guardians was a certain failure and that was wrong too.

But there were an equal number of people yelling about how GotG was a sureshot success right from the start. For Strange, all there is right now is Cumberbitches, who aren't really good for the one thing needed of them, boosting Cumberbatch's BO.

Also, dysfunctional family-type team of lovable underdogs in a space-faring sci-fi vs. eccentric, douchey character played by an unconventional looking actor in a mystic fantasy. 

Not surprised by Ant-man drop the film isn't that good.

Seen it twice. It's one of those movies that are enjoyable, but not anything you need to go out of your way to see in cinemas.

They better work to keep the budgets down for both those movies. I can see the Strange budget being around what AM was but the BP movie should have an even lower budget than that. If they can do a Dead Pool movie for 30-40m then there's no reason they need to spend more than 70-80m on BP.

There's no reason BP should have half the budget on Ant-Man.

You can make an argument for the same budget but not less.

Ant-Man will be profitable and I'm certain BP can at the very least match it's box office.

My top five is so weird in comparison lol.

1. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence

2. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

3. Inside Out

4. Mad Max: Fury Road

5. Testament of Youth

If Testament of Youth is in a theater by you, GO SEE IT. It is fantastic and emotional as hell.

• Like 1

Oh, best of the summer, you say?

Fury Road

Inside Out

Look of Silence

Amy

Magic Mike XXL

These five are GREAT. I've liked some other stuff this season but nothing really comes close to this. (though to the poster above me, bravo, Pigeon is such a cool movie)

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

There's no reason BP should have half the budget on Ant-Man.

You can make an argument for the same budget but not less.

Ant-Man will be profitable and I'm certain BP can at the very least match it's box office.

Nah Black Panther is gonna be IM1 massive.

A badass, rich, brutal, genius African King. That thing is gonna sell itself.

• Like 2

Ant man was pretty mediocre. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Had some serious pacing issues, and the daughter of Scott Lang was a freaking plot device. As generic as they come. I don't want to see a sequel.

Edited by StarWarsBuff
  • Like 2

The online box office of our main theater chain is dead due to capacity problems. Minions killed it :lol: One of the biggest weekends ever over here.

Ant man was pretty mediocre. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Had some serious pacing issues, and the daughter of Scott Lang was a freaking plot device. As generic had they come. I don't want to see a sequel.

I could live without a sequel. I like the characters though.