grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Pretty dark indeed when a character nobody knows, starring an actor whose movies never make any money, makes more money than a highly recognizable comic book character starring a very recognizable actor.

Let's be honest though, Ryan Reynolds' movies never make any money too these days.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

No it isn't. These movies are cheap as chips to make, given that they are dramas with actors who are just starting out and can't demand big salaries. They will be small but consistent, and maybe every now and then one will really break out like Fault.

Alaska has that potential, its easily his best novel and his most liked critically. There's a lot of comedic moments mixed with melancholy and a hint of tragedy (however its more about recovering from tragedy and coming to peace with oneself, not the tragedy itself which is a bit more fresh).

Paper Towns on the other hand is easily his worst and not something that's all that striking. It beats me why they adapted it first.

• Like 1

I think within an hour we get some estimates. Some pretty close battles. Pixels-AM for the top, Minions not far behind, then Trainwreck-Southpaw for fourth. Will be hilarious to see how badly PT falls and IO-JW having another nailbiter.

Still can't believe we will have a movie topping a July weekend with 25M. I guess we had to compensate for the amazing June we had this year.

• Like 1

Tom Cruise is ready to bless the box office.

What about Vacation? I am thinking Lets Be Cops numbers for OW. It doesn't look as appealling as We're the Millers.

True, but not a single movie over 10M on Friday on a July weekend is pretty bad. Hell, there is an (admittedly extremely outside) chance that no movie hits 10M today either.

EDIT: Just went through BOM records, and the last July weekend when no movie hit 10M over any of the days of the weekend was in 2009 when Funny People released. An Adam Sandler release may repeat history.

Hence why I said Pixels performance is the only truly bad thing here. Otherwise, nothing ever had a chance to hit 10m this Friday.

Alaska has that potential, its easily his best novel and his most liked critically. There's a lot of comedic moments mixed with melancholy and a hint of tragedy (however its more about recovering from tragedy and coming to peace with oneself, not the tragedy itself which is a bit more fresh).

Paper Towns on the other hand is easily his worst and not something that's all that striking. It beats me why they adapted it first.

I agree that Paper Towns is the weakest of Green's books that I've read (I have yet to read Katherine's). But I still think it is a fantastic book; the "worst" out of a group of amazing works is still a great book.

From what I've heard, Katherine's is pretty great, but would be hard to adapt. As I've mentioned before, I think Alaska should be aimed at older teens/adults and be an Oscar bait drama rather than a teen film. But I digress :)