grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

It did not flop in Japan. It just opened below expectations. Moreover its holding very well there this weekend. Much better than all the other openers from the previous weekend and also much better than other older films, both animated and live action. It will end up above (or atleast close to) Wall-E or Ratatouille there. It has also overperformed in South Korea and is holding well in other markets. Plus China is still an unpredictable variable. Thus, I believe its gonna easily make it past 750m even if not by much distance. 

Cool. Last weekend people were riding the negative train of saying that it flopped, so glad to hear that's not exactly the case. I am nervous for China, that's really the wildcard but if it has strong holds in the UK, I really hope Disney is able to really ride this wave out and end up with 750 mil. 

I mean, it is ridiculous that the company nowadays seems to rely on the policy of needing a movie (unless you're Cars) to do 1 bil WW to lavish it pure attention (in that I mean other areas such as theme parks, cruise line, TV and merch), so I really hope they recognize its American success and build on that.

Edited by goldenstate5

I saw that at the now demolished Century 5 dome in Pleasant Hill, CA, possibly on opening NIGHT. It was inside the main dome, the huge 70mm-sized auditorium. I'm not sure how full it was, I've liked to say it was packed with kids, but I honestly can't remember.

Pokemon has one of the worst multipliers off of a 5-day I know of, at least for a film that wasn't a bomb. Only worse ones I know of are Matrix Revolutions and Fifty Shades. (Yes, the Twilight movies had BETTER multipliers off of their first 5 days.)

Edited by TServo2049