CJohn

The Star | 17 NOV 2017 | Sony Pictures Animation | Twerking doves and stealing Lone Ranger jokes in the trailer on pg. 5 | Re-releasing this year on December 7 & 8 (don't ask)

I guess the moral of the story is always bet against SPA. Still think domestically it'll be SPA's highest grossing 2017 film.

At least their movies are super cheap, but SPA really needs to come up with more successes like their Hotel Transylvania franchise if they are going to last.

Just now, Jonwo said:

So much for outgrossing Coco. Coco's OD will be more than The Star's OW

Still thinking along the lines of $20M/$80M but Coco has a chance for its five day to be bigger than Star's domestic gross. However I think the only animated film over $200M this year will be DM3. Kind of like a slightly better 2011 domestically for animation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

At least their movies are super cheap, but SPA really needs to come up with more successes like their Hotel Transylvania franchise if they are going to last.

2018 is their make or break year and they have 4 films, however 2 of them imo will do over $100M domestically (SM and HT3) and 2020 is all original under a new leading approach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Making movies on the cheap is going to backfire on them eventually if they're making sub $50m domestic and $100m OS

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still thinking along the lines of $20M/$80M but Coco has a chance for its five day to be bigger than Star's domestic gross. However I think the only animated film over $200M this year will be DM3. Kind of like a slightly better 2011 domestically for animation.

Even $20m/80m seems like a stretch. I imagine both Murder on the Orient Express and Daddy's Home will outgross it on its OW. Smurfs TLV OW but a slightly higher total seems more likely.

• Like 1

I know it's early but on paper it should've done much better. I mean the last big Religious animated movie by the big six did near $180M adjusted. I think if The Star looked better and perhaps had a more epic tone with some musical aspects it would have been huge. At least it looks better than Smurfs or Emoji but that's not saying much.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I know it's early but on paper it should've done much better. I mean the last big Religious animated movie by the big six did near $180M adjusted. I think if The Star looked better and perhaps had a more epic tone with some musical aspects it would have been huge. At least it looks better than Smurfs or Emoji but that's not saying much.

It's SPA, an epic tone was unlikely

• Like 1