CJohn

The Star | 17 NOV 2017 | Sony Pictures Animation | Twerking doves and stealing Lone Ranger jokes in the trailer on pg. 5 | Re-releasing this year on December 7 & 8 (don't ask)

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

You guys really think that poster looks good? I think it looks pretty terrible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

YourMother is just trying to convince himself this movie will still do well because he has a stake in Sony Animation for whatever reason :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

YourMother is just trying to convince himself this movie will still do well because he has a stake in Sony Animation for whatever reason :lol: 

Nah. I pretty much gave up on The Star. And Sony to a lesser extent.

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's not outgrossing Coco that's for sure! 

No need to salt the wounds.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aabattery said:

You guys really think that poster looks good? I think it looks pretty terrible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The goat and sheep lowkey look like they're tripping on something.

• Like 1

Not sure I love the date change, although it does guarantee its theaters all through the Thanksgiving weekend, which should give it a bump off of whatever it can squeak out against JL...

I'm pretty sure they felt like there would be a wide opener theater squeeze on Nov 10 and then are leaving that...but...

Guess they are hoping for a Jurassic World/Inside Out kinda weekend on that pre-Thanksgiving one (that there are so many movie goers, there's still some space for 2 movies to attract the same family audience)...and to still get the jump on Coco for the next weekend, when folks do want to start thinking Christmas all day every day...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Guess they are hoping for a Jurassic World/Inside Out kinda weekend on that pre-Thanksgiving one (that there are so many movie goers, there's still some space for 2 movies to attract the same family audience)...and to still get the jump on Coco for the next weekend, when folks do want to start thinking Christmas all day every day...

It's not going to make $90m total, never mind $90m OW. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's not going to make $90m total, never mind $90m OW. 

Oh, it's not making $90M OW - never was on either weekend...I'm not writing off a total yet, since Emoji may get almost to $90M with critical ratings under 10%...and Thanksgiving/Christmas time is family time and families go to movies at that time...so this movie doesn't need to be deep or critically acclaimed to find a place - it just needs to not be offensive to its chosen topic and to stay in theaters til New Years...opening a week later will help that path if some of the newer releases perform less positively...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Oh, it's not making $90M OW - never was on either weekend...I'm not writing off a total yet, since Emoji may get almost to $90M with critical ratings under 10%...and Thanksgiving/Christmas time is family time and families go to movies at that time...so this movie doesn't need to be deep or critically acclaimed to find a place - it just needs to not be offensive to its chosen topic and to stay in theaters til New Years...opening a week later will help that path if some of the newer releases perform less positively...

Emoji benefitted from a dire August, The Star has to compete with a lot more competition in November and December

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Emoji benefitted from a dire August, The Star has to compete with a lot more competition in November and December

But it's animated competition is one movie...Coco...misplaced if you want a "holiday" theme...

That gives it room to find a spot...just like we've seen all summer, theaters love to open animated movies all over and these movies get more theaters than they usually should...Lego and Pony will be almost gone by this opening, so it's gonna have a chance...more of one if it's better than its current advertising...

And it's a premier concept...never underestimate premier animated concepts made for North America...

This is a 10 and unders movie when there won't be any movies for 10 and unders other than Coco (and even then, skeltons don't scream little kid)...that's gonna keep it around if it doesn't completely crash and burn against JL...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

To make it to New Years this film has to hope Coco and Ferdinand both bomb while avoiding being kicked out of extra screens used for Star Wars. That doesn't include Jumangi 5 days after Star Wars. Now there's a very good chance The Star will stay in the majority of theaters till Dec. 15th just because nothing comes out those first 2 weeks of December but after that, good luck. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But it's animated competition is one movie...Coco...misplaced if you want a "holiday" theme...

That gives it room to find a spot...just like we've seen all summer, theaters love to open animated movies all over and these movies get more theaters than they usually should...Lego and Pony will be almost gone by this opening, so it's gonna have a chance...more of one if it's better than its current advertising...

And it's a premier concept...never underestimate premier animated concepts made for North America...

This is a 10 and unders movie when there won't be any movies for 10 and unders other than Coco (and even then, skeltons don't scream little kid)...that's gonna keep it around if it doesn't completely crash and burn against JL...

Ferdinand is out in December and there is Daddy's Home 2, another family film out the week before and then Jumanji in December as well so there are more family films not to mention Thor and JL. 

I just don't have much hope for it succeeding.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

Ferdinand is out in December and there is Daddy's Home 2, another family film out the week before and then Jumanji in December as well so there are more family films not to mention Thor and JL. 

I just don't much hope for it succeeding.

Well, that's why we watch the box office play...few people had much hope than GOTG 2's DOM BO would get beaten this summer after its opening, and it's gonna lose the summer by more than $20M...

There will be a holiday surprise...either high or low and probably both:)...there always is...

• Like 1

The holiday season for family films is looking like 2011 all over again. And only 2 did over $100M.

Coco = PIB

Daddy's Home 2 = Muppets/Hugo

The Star = Arthur's Christmas/HF2

Jumanji = Alvin 3 

Ferdinand = Tintin

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

To be honest. I don't think Coco is going over $200M either. The holiday season is packed for families. Thor and JL can and will draw families. Daddy's Home 2 and The Star open the following weeks before it. That Frozen short will probably be on TV in a few weeks. Jumanji and Ferdinand also open during the holidays if families don't see VIII.

• Like 1