Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

It's like you don't understand a single one of my posts, but you keep replying to them

What is happening

I still need to find the post where you say JW is ambitious or even good.

Um, we've seen a great Incredibles movie already.

We still haven't gotten a decent FF movie.

But I'm not sure Brad Bird would want to deal with Disney and Marvels meddling.

Marvel & Feige only meddle when they see something the score cards don't like.

Whedon was very enthusiastic about how the making of the first Avengers went. No studio interference whatsoever. That s the reason he signed on Avengers 2 which took 3 years of his life.

Ultron had bad score cards on some scenes (the whole dance between the cave Thor scenes & Hawkeye country family scenes among others) hence Feige & Whedon disagreeing.

Marvel meddled with The Incredible Hulk, Thor 2 & Avengers 2 (strong disagreements on the final cut of the film, nothing more really).

Ant Man is a special case because Wright got out of the movie just before it started shooting.

Marvel meddled on two occasions out of 12 films : Thor 2 & The Incredible Hulk.

They avoided the need to meddle in Ant Man.

One big argument in the editing room between Whedon & Feige : Ultron.

But yeah, Marvel is evil, they meddle and ballgag their directors.

• Like 2

Excluding the indies:

1. Rogue Nation (Maybe my fav espionage film ever. Got even better upon second viewing)

2. Mad Max: Fury Road (a film I totally thought would be just for the oldies who love the originals. Wrong, wrong, wrong!)

3. Inside Out (another Pixar masterclass, but perhaps the first in that tier I think has been a little overrated. Ranks like 9th or 10th in their canon for me)

4. Spy (simply hilarious ensemble and writing. Spy spoof elements worked well too)

5. San Andreas (sorry, don't care how derivative it was it was a damn fun disaster flick. One of the only straight up disaster flicks I've ever enjoyed)

See that's what Jurassic World has been doing to me I originally gave it an A, now I think I'm at a B or B-

It happens to me all the time. I thought it was weird but the same happens to ddddeeee as well.

I wanted to wait until I saw F4 to do a top 5 of summer but clearly that isn't... nevermind.

1. Inside Out

2a. Danny Collins (doesn't count but I saw it in summer)

2. Jurassic World

3. Ant-Man

4. Avengers

5. Paper Towns

Brad Bird may be talented but he's no Russo brother or Colin Trevorrow or [some other director who made one well-regarded piece of fluff]

I remember when JAndrew mentioned something along those lines about the Russo Bros and Neo got all pissy and defensive for some reason.

As posted in the BSG thread:

Time for more speculation.

Current top 15

1. Jurassic World - $631,601,030
2. Avengers: Age of Ultron - $456,942,727
3. Inside Out - $329,587,896
4. Minions - $287,578,650
5. Pitch Perfect 2 - $183,785,415
6. San Andreas - $152,283,503
7. Mad Max: Fury Road - $152,169,645
8. Ant-Man - $132,331,563
9. Spy - $108,872,889
10. Tomorrowland - $92,468,805
11. Terminator: Genisys - $87,693,413
12. Trainwreck 

13. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

14. Ted 2 - $80,500,000
15. Magic Mike XXL - $64,761,407

MMXXL is the line to cross for top 15. Pixels looks likely to overtake MMXXL, so MMXXL is out, Pixels is the next barrier of entry. Last 2 movies with a shot at the top 15 of summer are UNCLE and Compton. Compton looks like it can hit a 40M OW and UNCLE can probably do 25-30M OW. UNCLE doesn't have enough time to overtake Ted 2 if it opens to 25-30M. It will need at least a 35M OW to make the top 15. And if Compton turns out to be majorly frontloaded post-OD, Pixels may still sneak in to the top 15.

• Like 2

Age of Adaline is probably my biggest surprise of the Summer. I was expecting an epic turd and got a really solid romantic fantasy drama with a some great performances from Blake Lively and Harrison Ford. It isn't on my top 5 but it deserves a mention.

I remember when JAndrew mentioned something along those lines about the Russo Bros and Neo got all pissy and defensive for some reason.

Cuz people love hero-worshipping nobody directors after they turn out one studio blockbuster. It's crazy.

• Like 1

Incredibles, Iron Giant, Ratatouille, or Ghost Protocol by themselves completely annihilate either's filmography.

Yes, but I still prefer the lastest movies from each of them to any of these :lol: