Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

I believe Catwoman is the only other 100m+ budget superhero flick to open lower than Fant4stic.

Yeah, I was just checking this.

Fant4stic & Catwoman have a lot in common :

Terrible reviews, tepid bo, big budget, known brand.

There are the two biggest superhero tentpole flops ever, with maybe Superman IV back in the late 80's.

• Like 1

Its OW will rank 50th or 51st among the 100 or so releases BOM classifies as superhero movies. Except all the ones below it were either much older or way lower budget/little known or original characters(again, except Catwoman lol).

Neck and neck with the TMNT OW

The one from 1990

There are the two biggest superhero tentpole flops ever, with maybe Superman IV back in the late 80's.

I think a lesson can be learned from all this...

DON'T HIRE THAT TRANK GUY. :ph34r:

Where were you when you first heard Fant4stic opened to 25M?

That s why I said Fant4stic was the movie event of summer 2015 and I stand by it :

Between the reviews, all the scores on various movie sites, the bo performance, the post production clusterfuck ( reshoots were still happening in July !), Trank committing career suicide live on Twitter, Kinberg trying to damage control this mess the day before release in an hilarious interview in EW ( "I am proud of the movie ! It s not a mess, I promise !"), Fox asking its audience what to do with the franchise, I mean this movie keeps on giving.

Jurassic World got nothing on this.

• Like 6

Yep, brought this up last night. The two are total parallels and really are the two biggest SH duds ever when you factor everything in.

• Like 1

How many careers did FF just kill?

Uh.. one? Maybe? Trank will be fine if he works himself up again clean. Kinberg has a huge franchise and Teller/Mara/Jordan are all doing great work outside this movie. 

Uh.. one? Maybe? Trank will be fine if he works himself up again clean. Kinberg has a huge franchise and Teller/Mara/Jordan are all doing great work outside this movie. 

What about the person that greenlight this thing? :unsure:

Again, I'll say...I called a $15-25 mil. OW a week or so ago.    A few people laughed...  ;-)

Also, so-called "tracking" has been *way* off this Summer.

Unfortunately, we'll have to resort to calling it "tranking" now for predicting flops...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3

If this was a movie that Fox had some semblance of faith in the marketing team might be in trouble, but most of them would get more work anyway. If they weren't deeply in bed with the producer there might be an issue there, but again the producer would just move to another studio

As things stand Trank's the only one who's really screwed. Delivered the final blow himself on Twitter, too

• Like 2

Again, I'll say...I called a $15-25 mil. OW a week or so ago.  A few people laughed...  ;-)

Also, so-called "tracking" has been *way* off this Summer.

Unfortunately, we'll have to resort to calling it "tranking" now for predicting flops...

Well to be fair it was nearly unprecedented as only one other high profile CBM has ever opened in that range. I was starting to think maybe 35m as the week went on, but 25m is just such an epic disaster.

Some really bad shit went down behind the scenes, there s no other way :

Some personal hate between Trank and people involved in the movie, Trank rumored meltdowns are probably true too, there s a reason Disney panicked and fired him from the Star Wars gig.

It s incredible that Fox & Kinberg decided to scrap half of the movie this late into production &  shoot a last minute, terrible 3rd act that will live in infamy.

It s like the movie was sabotaged on purpose, it s quite incredible if you think about it.

• Like 1

I can only imagine the meeting Monday morning at FOX over this bullshit.. I knew from the damn get go this was a bad idea.. The re-imagining, the casting, everything was a total wash with this.. I wish MARVEL would hire me to steer this bitch back on course and I would to..

The idea, concept is actually  very good. The execution is poor. The executives who conceptualize this thing has the right ideas but has poor handling of talents, people management & operation controls.