CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

It's going to be interesting to see how BVS performed. It will make lots of money for sure, but I have a feeling that WB wants Avengers numbers and they will accept nothing less.

BVS will do strong numbers no matter what but that's not going to happen. BVS will do on the low end 350 and on the high end 400 domestic which isn't bad for either franchise but nothing amazing.

It's crazy how deep the whole film was. On the surface it was about these guy's takes on life, but they obviously were having deep conversations. But as you unmask their interactions it is maybe more about ego, respect and almost selfishness. At least that was my interpretation.

I've tried to message you like forty five times to tell you that you have fabulous taste and you've further proven that. (Clear your inbox.).

Still don't see any messages :0

I really liked Mistress America too (saw it a few weeks ago with Greta Gerwig!), feels like more of a screwball lark than any of Baumbach's more recent stuff and at the same time still feels about something.

Next on my indie list are Diary and Best of Enemies.

can someone explain why Uncle is doing so meh, while Kingsman: The Secret Service did really well? was it just timing?

Release date and genre saturation, probably. Despite the period setting, it didn't look different enough from what came before to break out.

Kingsman was the first of... six spy movies this year. UNCLE is the fourth.

• Like 1

Release date and genre saturation, probably. Despite the period setting, it didn't look different enough from what came before to break out.

Kingsman was the first of... six spy movies this year. UNCLE is the fourth.

Yes agreed.

Plus Kingsman just looked...more fun.

1). Straight Outta Compton (UNI), 2,757 theaters / $22.8M Fri.* / 3-day cume: $55.1M / Wk 1
*includes Thursday previews of $4.96M

2). Mission: Impossible-Rogue Nation (PAR), 3,700 theaters (-288) / $4.8M Fri. (-41%) / 3-day cume: $16.6M (-42%)/ Total Cume: $138.2/ Wk 3

3). Man From U.N.C.L.E (WB), 3,638 theaters / $5.1M Fri.**/ 3-day cume: $14.6M / Wk 1
**includes Thursday previews of $900K.

4). Fantastic Four (FOX), 4,004 theaters (+9)/ $2.5M Fri. (-78%)/ 3-day cume: $8.2M (-68%)/ Total Cume: $41M /Wk 2

5). The Gift (STX), 2,503 theaters (0) / $2M Fri. (-51%) / 3-day cume: $6.8M (-43%)/ Total Cume: $23.2M /Wk 2

6). Ant-Man (DIS), 2,306 theaters (-604) / $1.7Fri. (-25%) / 3-day cume: $5.8M  (27-%)/Total cume: $157.9M / Wk 5

7). Minions (UNI), 2,640 theaters (-483)/ $1.5M Fri. (-32%)/ 3-day cume: $5.2M (-30%)/Total Cume: $312.7M / Wk 6

8). Vacation (WB), 3,088 theaters (-342)/ $1.5M Fri. (-45%) / 3-day cume: $5.1M (-43%) / Total cume: $46.6M /Wk 3

9). Ricki And The Flash (SONY), 2,064 theaters (+461) / $1.3M Fri. (-42%) / 3-day cume: $4.4M (-33%)/Total cume: $14.4M / Wk 2

10). Trainwreck (UNI), 1,998 theaters (-527)/ $1.2M Fri. (-35%) / 3-day cume: $4M (-35%)/Total cume: $98M/ Wk 5

12). Shaun The Sheep Movie (LGF), 2,360 theaters (+40)/ $832K Fri. (-32%)/ 3-day cume: $2.8M (-31%) /Total cume: $11.1M/ Wk 2

NOTABLES:

Meru (MUSIC), 7 theaters / $32K Fri. / 3-day cume: $101K / Wk 1

Mistress America (FSL), 7 theaters / $27K Fri. / 3-day cume: $86K / Per screen avg: $21K /Wk 1

Walt Before Mickey (IND), 7 theaters / $8K Fri. / 3-day cume: $22K / Wk 1

http://deadline.com/2015/08/straight-outta-compton-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-weekend-box-office-1201499183/

• Like 3

Still don't see any messages :0

I really liked Mistress America too (saw it a few weeks ago with Greta Gerwig!), feels like more of a screwball lark than any of Baumbach's more recent stuff and at the same time still feels about something.

Next on my indie list are Diary and Best of Enemies.

That's because you can only have a certain number of messages in your inbox and need to clear out your old ones. I tried messaging you before also :P

Wait wait wait.

Agent 47, UNCLE and American Ultra are all spy movies.

What the actual hell?!?

Oh, right. I forgot Agent 47 because of the video game bit.

SEVEN spy movies.

I wonder if there's ever been a year with more spies in it.

I hear the film plays like Guy Ritchie at 47, not Ritchie at 30, when he made Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. “If you’re gonna make this film, you gotta make it campy,” said one rival studio executive while another looked at the stars on the poster and asked “Who the hell are these guys?”  Other sources tell Deadline that Cavill and Hammer didn’t register high in regards to why audiences turned out.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/straight-outta-compton-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-weekend-box-office-1201499183/

:lol:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

The same can be said about superhero movies but they seem to be doing well (except F4 of course..)

Oh, c'mon, you must know F4 is the final nail in the coffin of the superhero film. :P

As a general rule, it's not as much the genre as it is if the movie looks good or not. And that's not as much critical reviews(although they can affect films if near unanimously bad or good), that's more how people feel about the the story, characters, what it's based on, who's in it and if your friend/family liked it.

Make a bad film that doesn't appeal to people and has no one they want to see in it and you have an F4. A perfect storm of failure.

In The Man from UNCLE's case, it's simply not a property that has broad appeal its star power is limited. No matter if it's on the same quality level as say Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes films, Holmes is a more popular property and more importantly, the star power there was a huge factor. Same with Mission Impossible and Tom Cruise. "That guy who played Superman and the dude who played Lone Ranger in a film about a nearly forgotten TV series" just doesn't have the same pull you know?

• Like 5