CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Sometimes I get super bummed out that users here like to crucify a film simply because it was entertaining.  JW may not be breaking any new boundaries but people, yes every day casual movie goers, enjoyed this film.  So much so that we now have a new 3rd place record holder at the domestic box office.  Why is this a bad thing?  And who are you to say which film is more deserving than another or infer that the people who put it there are dumb for doing so?  

JW set the box office on fire this summer and that alone makes me happy.  A film that opens to over 200 million doesn't get a 3x multiplier JUST because of nostalgia.  The film connected with people.  If you don't like it that's fine.  If it feel short of your expectations so be it.  But don't short change the majority who enjoyed it, supported the movie going we love and get to discuss and then in the same breath belittle them for doing so.  Get over yourself.

280.gif

• Like 8

A "3rd rate Jurassic Park" remake has more box office potential than a "glorious ground breaking culmination of multiple blockbusters coming together for the first time for a single event" :lol:

And Batman was first to get the masses to appreciate the fun of comics.

Nope, IMHO that was X-Men 1 and X-Men 2 that gave GA the confidence back about SH can be 1. ~ done more like RL and 2. not like the 1997 released Batman & Robin.

I also highly doubt WB would have even greenlit Batman Begins (2005) that early after their last Batman installment and with that kind of budget, director,.... without Singer's (and other's work) on X-Men 1&2

Sat

SOC 19.6,MI5 7, MFU 5,F4 3.3,Gift 2.7,AM 2.3,Vac 2.2, Min 2, RATF 1.8,TW 1.7 

Can pleeaaasseee someone update the title? This post is on p 48 btw

The only people who can't stand that JW did so well spend too much time online. Critics liked it, audiences loved it and a sequel is on the way. Have a good laugh at the people who go into a rage over a movies success when there are actual things in this world to get pissed about and then forget about them. I know I have a good laugh when an extremely successful movie that general audiences love pisses off the vast minority that are bloggers or those annoying YouTube reviewers. Or those that frequent message boards too.

And to the person bringing up Mad Max, you aren't serious I hope. Paper thin characters and story that are thankfully saved by great action. Then you turn around and criticize JW? Pot meet kettle.

:welcome: and interesting start post. I hope to get to read more soon :D

pretty sure I was describing AOU :)

people said the same thing after JP3 and fell flat on their faces when JW came out. And in the case of DC, BVS and SS will be their first movies since 2013 - they aren't milking it to death. But whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.   

haha I saw minions just once but saw JW 16 times! Going to be 17 later today. I'm impressed by Universal's performance in the UAE this year and happy for all 3 films. Btw, good to see a fellow member from Dubai! And since you're Lebanese, keefak Ya zalama! :D

WB has the possibility to grab any source material they like, no matter if musical, bio-pic, action or whatever.

Marvel Studio has to make a certain amount of money / give their people work to do... create also merchandise possibilities based on only one source. IMHO not compareable basic situation

edit: corrected title

Edited by terrestrial

I love it when people try to bring down Mad Max like a flimsy movie to put JW on a pedestal. Except Mad Max doesn't posit that you're a bumbling idiot if you enjoy a wacky mutant albino shredding on his flame-thrower guitar while cars are exploding all over the screen lamenting the death of "true Hollywood spectacle in the good ole days" (in the nineties LOL) saying "The Road Warrior was leggit!". No, we came for the over-the-top wackiness and Miller revels in it without any shame. Why would he, because it's exhilarating and entertaining as it is on a surface-level, you feel he truly loves the madness that he's making. The hipsters are not the ones who criticize JW's cynical pose, the hipster is Trevorrow's self-awareness attitude that thinks he's better than that and wants us to know he's above it as well while failing to stage action scenes half as exciting and involving as FF (embodied in that annoying tech guy character's attitude).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that Trevorrow is the best guy to do a Jurassic Park movie or Stars Wars sequel. But that doesn't mean he is not talented.

The decision is strange when the talent pool is so wide & diverse in Hollywood. I initially thought that Trevorrow may get a deal,

1 noisy blockbuster for 1 passion project. Kinda like Spielberg did with Universal when he gets to do Schindler's List after Jurassic Park, and Amistad after the Lost World. He is doing Book of Henry next with Focus. Focus is under Universal. Is this the deal?

Edited by zackzack

Nope, IMHO that was X-Men 1 and X-Men 2 that gave GA the confidence back about SH can be 1. ~ done more like RL and 2. not like the 1997 released Batman & Robin.

I also highly doubt WB would have even greenlit Batman Returns (2005) that early after their last Batman installment and with that kind of budget, director,.... without Singer's (and other's work) on X-Men 1&2

I was talking about Batman 89, not Nolan's trilogy. It was a breakthrough superhero movie for its time. And that was Batman Begins in 2005, not Batman Returns.

Personally I'd say Spider-Man was a lot more effective in getting the GA's confidence back for superhero movies than X-Men. It was immensely popular back in the early to mid 2000's.

The only reason JW is getting piled on with hate is because of how successful it was. If it had just stayed in its corner and done what was expected of it box-office wise, no one would still be piling on it. See - FF7.

But since it was such a roaring success, those who hated it must make their hate louder. I knew that once Trevorrow got announced for SW9 we'd get another wave of hate, and just like clockwork...

Whatever man, it was a super fun movie and audiences enjoyed it, even if some of you didn't. All this hate is so unnecessary.

• Like 11

Because some of us think that we should expect better from our movies. I don't get what's so elitist about this. Especially when no one was making "it's dumb fun!" excuses about Fury Road or MI5 or Furious 7 or Inside Out this year alone. 

Ie what JW does. Weirdly some people think this is disputable. It's the text of the movie, this is what most conversations in the film are about. Audiences can still enjoy the movie anyway (they did), I can ask why.

I love u Gopher....honestly I do. But u lost me when you said Mad Max isn't dumb fun. It's about one of the silliest stupidest films you'll ever see. It's incredibly entertaining it's a lot of fun to watch but don't make it out to be some kind of Mensa project that was designed by Einstein and Plato and overseen by Hitchcock.. It's just a fun dum flick just like most summer films. Jurassic world was a lot more ambitious than Mad Max as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

I was talking about Batman 89, not Nolan's trilogy. It was a breakthrough superhero movie for its time. And that was Batman Begins in 2005, not Batman Returns.

Personally I'd say Spider-Man was a lot more effective in getting the GA's confidence back for superhero movies than X-Men. It was immensely popular back in the early to mid 2000's.

Ahh, yes, that was the first start, totally agree, but sadly destroyed again latest after the '97 one.

:D  Batman Returns was the first Batman I saw in a cinema, for some reasons I repeatedly (since years) write that title when I meant to write Batman Begins  :rolleyes:

Still think the X-Men movies brought the actual SH genre style / way on it's way.

• Like 1

I love u Gopher....honestly I do. But u lost me when you said Mad Max isn't dumb fun. It's about one of the silliest stupidest films you'll ever see. It's incredibly entertaining it's a lot of fun to watch but don't make it out to be some kind of Mensa project that was designed by Einstein and Plato and overseen by Hitchcock.. It's just a fun dum flick just like most summer films. Jurassic world was a lot more ambitious than Mad Max as far as I'm concerned.

Mad Max created a world an environment. That on its own is ambitious.

On top of its gorgeous cinematography and snappy editing it really is unlike any blockbuster over the past few years or maybe ever.

Miller created something completely new and really innovated the action film.

• Like 2

I live in pure hatred for Marvel (because I actually said some truths in the F4 thread and last weekend, even tho I hated that movie) and I love JW, so according to this forum I probably hate Mad Max: Fury Road as well. Some people in this forum are simply not capable of thinking at all. The man just did a 600M+ hit that 99% of the audiences loved and had incredible legs. He is an obvious choice. I would have said the same if they had hired Whedon, and I am not a big fan of Whedon at all. But people would be creaming in their pants if Whedon was hired instead of Trevorrow. Lord Miller have only done comedies but apparently they are great choices because they did a shit Lego Movie. And funny enough, I actually do agree they were a good choice. Anyway, this is all nonsense and what surprises me the most is that they have hired and announced a director for a movie that will only start filming in 2 and a half years. They could have waited 1 year to do it.

• Like 1

Mad Max created a world an environment. That on its own is ambitious.

On top of its gorgeous cinematography and snappy editing it really is unlike any blockbuster over the past few years or maybe ever.

Miller created something completely new and really innovated the action film.

The Mad Max world wasn't created this year.
  • Like 2

Don't condescend. :)

Fury Road is entirely new though.

It is the same world. But I do agree with the rest of your post. Fury Road is my favorite movie of the year. It was incredible.

Ahh, yes, that was the first start, totally agree, but sadly destroyed again latest after the '97 one.

:D  Batman Returns was the first Batman I saw in a cinema, for some reasons I repeatedly (since years) write that title when I meant to write Batman Begins  :rolleyes:

Still think the X-Men movies brought the actual SH genre style / way on it's way.

Oh I wasn't talking about style, X men might very well have done so as you say.

Spider-Man was widely accepted by the GA and made superheroes popular again on the silver screen after the debacle that was Batman vs Robin. It left such a big impact that the first person that comes to mind (for most people) when you say Spider-Man is Toby Maguire, not Andrew Whatshisface

I like Mad Max. Thought it was pretty fun. Doesn't mean that it's some revolutionary film or any more ambitious or any better than Jurassic world. In fact Mad Max is a film I will watch once and never see again Jurassic world is a film I have seen 6 times and I am trying to find a way to get to see it a seventh before it leaves the theaters. That is when you know you have something special. When you know you can go out and buy a copy of Jurassic world at a flea market right now. Its DVD quality I have a giant TV at home with a terrific sound system. & I have no desire to watch it at home right now. It is definitely a theater experience. It's kind of almost sort of one of a kind in that way. Maybe not one of a kind but definitely up there with other special films that you really need to see in the theater. Mad Max I might catch on Netflix sometime.

• Like 2

It is the same world. But I do agree with the rest of your post. Fury Road is my favorite movie of the year. It was incredible.

I'm not explaining myself well lol.

It is obviously the fourth movie in a series! But Miller has completely elevated his old Mad Max world and did it so thoroughly by making this "race" of people and all these surely complex back stories.

We could have spinoffs if Fury Road about the Warboys, The Brides, Bullettown and a whole bunch of other things. He really created a new, living, breathing world that can just be built off and not feel undeserved.

Still haven't explained myself well. I'm just trying to say it was genius and incredibly well done.

Oh I wasn't talking about style, X men might very well have done so as you say.

Spider-Man was widely accepted by the GA and made superheroes popular again on the silver screen after the debacle that was Batman vs Robin. It left such a big impact that the first person that comes to mind (for most people) when you say Spider-Man is Toby Maguire, not Andrew Whatshisface

Garfield. Andrew Garfield was his name.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1