CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Plus Pacific Rim 2 ridiculous China total.

I was going to say PR2 but its a bit more risky. Though you're probably right, China will be massive.

Warcraft and Pacific Rim will be devoured by the Chinese... bearing in mind the #1 US movie ever in China is a Universal film, they are on their way to great Chinese success.

• Like 1

in the next few years, Uni has Warcraft, Pets, DM3, Furious 8, PP3, Jurassic Park 5, Bourne 5, Fifty Shades 2 & 3 (okay wont be big domestic, but huge OS), King Kong, another Dr Seuss... plenty of space for success.

I don't see any billion dollar franchises besides the big three.

The rest would be lucky to beat 500 m.

• Like 1

King Kong and Bourne 5 are gonna beat 500M easily. Pacific Rim 2 and Warcraft will as well thanks to CHINA.

Edited by CJohn

In the UK it has much more hype (it is a UK production about a famous English gangster, makes sense) and it is a wide release.

It'll be similar to Rush, do good in the UK because of the subject matter but not so well elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Warcraft is more likely to gross over 500M in China alone, than gross under 500M worldwide.

Anyway I wasn't talking only about the 300+ domestic juggernauts.

• Like 1

That's not the problem. The problem is people go to see superman because of the character and no one gives a rats ass who plays him so long as he's tall built and has a superhero face. The character itself isn't interesting enough to give who ever plays him a chance for the audience to fall in love with him in todays market. 

Nope. As long as they have a good actor playing him, I'm sure people will relate to the character. Superman has such a great mythology to begin with, anyway.

Edited by Insidearcher

Sure it's limited release? Where is that info?

I think CP is gonna do well, as horror is ready for a breakout this year.

They have gone overboard with the supernatural elements in horror. I want a great slasher like the original halloween or a half slasher half supernatural film with great acting and writing like Candyman.                                                                                    

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

Poor Man From U.N.C.L.E. Not too surprised though. It's based on an old show that is way too obscure for today's young audience, starpower was zero, and it came out at the very end of the summer when everyone is all actioned-out. Shame it couldn't have done better though.

LMFAO @ Fantastic Four looking at a drop of around 75% for the weekend. This is what legends are made of.

• Like 1

Read your comment back to yourself.

50 Shades Darker alone could plummet 50% domestically and it will still fly past $500 million globally.

Okay they'll be lucky to beat 600 m.

Even Marvel Studios by themselves could compete with Universal, let alone Disney.

Avengers is almost as big as Jurassic.

Civil War will be close to Furious.

GotG to DM3.

Then you have Thor 3 and other B-listers pulling in 500 m.

This doesn't include Pixar, POTC, Frozen or Star Wars.

Universal crumbles after 2015.

• Like 1

Even Marvel Studios by themselves could compete with Universal, let alone Disney.

GotG to DM3.

Oh FFS.

• Like 1

GotG to DM3.

I am gonna assume you using the word in a hyperbole way. Because if they are crumbling, the end of Sony, Lionsgate and Paramount is upon us :lol: 

• Like 2

The Wachowskis have a very good working relationship with the Warners guys (a couple generations of them at this point).

But shouln't 4 big budget flops sour the relationship?

There has to be limit to how much they're allowed to waste.