kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

3 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

ah, so you just have a boner for Blake Lively and everything else has to be put down for not being a Blake Lively movie.  Gotcha

Edited by That One Guy

4 hours ago, Kingp0va said:

JL's audience is teen girls-boys so nah

Can I ask you for source, or you are just making stuff up ?

Joy OW :

The demographic breakdown for Joy was 66% female vs. 34% male with 77% being 25 years or older. In terms of playability, Joy over-indexed in the Midwest and Northeast.

Passenger was 61% over 25, no indication that her movie play particularly young, Hunger Games was 5 year's ago, SLP/Hustle were not popular only among young people (nor were Hunger Games). Mockingjay part 2 was 62% over 25 and in 2013 Lawrence was a top 3 favorite among American adults according to the Harris polls and the academy that nominated her many times is in average above 60s.

Actors are not really popular among teens nowadays (less than youtube stars)

Edited by Barnack

50 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Can I ask you for source, or you are just making stuff up ?

Joy OW :

The demographic breakdown for Joy was 66% female vs. 34% male with 77% being 25 years or older. In terms of playability, Joy over-indexed in the Midwest and Northeast.

Passenger was 61% over 25, no indication that her movie play particularly young, Hunger Games was 5 year's ago, SLP/Hustle were not popular only among young people (nor were Hunger Games). Mockingjay part 2 was 62% over 25 and in 2013 Lawrence was a top 3 favorite among American adults according to the Harris polls and the academy that nominated her many times is in average above 60s.

Actors are not really popular among teens nowadays (less than youtube stars)

You're actually so reasonable all the time, its cute, im usually trolling dont mind me

Joy had no appeal, dont know why she signed on that, it did well for the kind of movie it was

Edited by Kingp0va

4 hours ago, Kingp0va said:

sure, jan. the delusion of thinking this will do lucy numbers. jlaw isnt nearly the same star she was in 2012-2015

JL's audience is teen girls-boys so nah

Oh fuck off, you Lively freak. When Blake Lively has just 1% of the box office prowess Jennifer has then come talk. Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

You're actually so reasonable all the time, its cute, im usually trolling dont mind me

Joy had no appeal, dont know why she signed on that, it did well for the kind of movie it was

I get that you do, do not take my response to you, as response to you necessarily, just for the fun to find out and for others that could read the threads as general info.

Joy was probably for the director, a studio head personally proposing a no-ip mid budget movie in this day in age to a director/actor combo must be rare and feel special, studio accepting the creative control + final cut condition is really interesting to have. A story about a woman that is being gracious with her power with everyone (something that is probably a goal for a young actor getting used to power).

The movie needed to be good to have any chance, but it did open like Hustle heavy assemble did and Leo-DiCaprio Wolf of Wall street opening around the same time of the year, if the movie would have delivered and connected it would have done really good business.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Oh fuck off, you Lively freak. When Blake Lively has just 1% of the box office prowess Jennifer has then come talk. Ridiculous. 

somebody got mad.

Passengers (with bo draw prat did 303m on a 110m budget)

The shallows did 119m on a 17m budget, and blake carried the whole movie

Of course jlaw is more famous and succesful, but dont act like blake is a flop or something because after the emmas and jlaw she's the biggest bo draw of the girls under 35

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I get that you do, do not take my response to you, as response to you necessarily, just for the fun to find out and for others that could read the threads as general info.

Joy was probably for the director, a studio head personally proposing a no-ip mid budget movie in this day in age to a director/actor combo must be rare and feel special, studio accepting the creative control + final cut condition is really interesting to have. A story about a woman that is being gracious with her power with everyone (something that is probably a goal for a young actor getting used to power).

The movie needed to be good to have any chance, but it did open like Hustle heavy assemble did and Leo-DiCaprio Wolf of Wall street opening around the same time of the year, if the movie would have delivered and connected it would have done really good business.

Yes, you're right, im still surprised at passengers numbers, especially overseas where movies are carried by BO draws and dont really care about critics

Edited by Kingp0va
  • Like 1

Just now, Kingp0va said:

Passengers (with bo draw prat did 232m on a 100m budget)

Chris Pratt isn't even a proven draw.  Magnificent Seven made less than The Equalizer (both Denzel starring roles).  If Pratt were really a draw, M7 would've gone above and beyond and grossed more than The Equalizer.  Also, Passengers did 303M WW.

2 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

The shallows did 117m on a 17m budget, and blake carried the whole movie

Blake ain't the reason the movie succeeded, bud.  It was a PG-13 shark thriller released in the summer and had good reviews.  People just wanted to watch a decent thriller.

• Community Manager
3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

ah, so you just have a boner for Blake Lively and everything else has to be put down for not being a Blake Lively movie.  Gotcha

I will never get people like this. I think it's why I don't get The Futurist most of the time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Chris Pratt isn't even a proven draw.  Magnificent Seven made less than The Equalizer (both Denzel starring roles).  If Pratt were really a draw, M7 would've gone above and beyond and grossed more than The Equalizer.  Also, Passengers did 303M WW.

Maybe not proven, but everything suggest that he is, every movie he starred since the Lego movie overperformed a little bit or a lot for what they were, as yet to have any clear counter example of why he would not be one.

Denzel tend to be paired with an actor that appeal to is least favorable quadrant, white female under 25 in particular, younger people in general, it was Chloe Moretz for equalizer, Ryan Reynolds for some movie, Mark Wahlberg for an other movie, Pratt for this one, etc... you are not comparing him to a vacuum when you compare him to the other movies, but those others draws the studio attached to them to fill Denzel voids.

The movie did a little more than what was expected by the studio when it was a liam Neeson/Denzel project, both domestic and oversea despite a worst than expected exchange rate, lot to do with Byung-hun Lee making the movie do very well in south-korea but I think Pratt helped the movie overperform expectation (or least the expectation when Neeson was the second big supporter of Denzel) also.

For Passenger, clearly Pratt augmented the box office and he scored very well in the exit poll (significantly lower than Lawrence but still very high for an actor). Not sure how much higher than Life that movie do if you removed both stars, it did more than a well reviewed big Ridley Scott Alien franchise movie domestic....

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Blake ain't the reason the movie succeeded, bud.  It was a PG-13 shark thriller released in the summer and had good reviews.  People just wanted to watch a decent thriller.

Yet many people want to give Jennifer Lawrence credit for Hunger Games grosses, nevermind the films had good reviews and were based on international-bestselling books that were hugely popular before she was even cast.  

6 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

Yet many people want to give Jennifer Lawrence credit for Hunger Games grosses, nevermind the films had good reviews and were based on international-bestselling books that were hugely popular before she was even cast.  

There are always factors, but with the HGs you had to get Katniss right. There was no escapism to fall back on and in the first one it is often just her alone in the woods. I'd give her a ton of credit. Her talent/charisma was very much part of why that series succeeded while others fell flat. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I like Lively. She's a sweet girl, but she cannot even begin to compare to J-Law and the two Emmas when it comes to star power.

lol. yes, watson is obviously a bigger star than blake but let's not act like the girl can sell a movie, other than beauty she's been flopping non stop, even after beauty with all the hype her movie with tom hanks BOMBED. And other than Lala i dont really consider emma a draw either, johansson had a fluke with Lucy

Jlaw  is probably the only young actress who is -or was- a proven box office draw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingp0va said:

lol. yes, watson is obviously a bigger star than blake but let's not act like the girl can sell a movie, other than beauty she's been flopping non stop, even after beauty with all the hype her movie with tom hanks BOMBED. And other than Lala i dont really consider emma a draw either, johansson had a fluke with Lucy

Jlaw  is probably the only young actress who is -or was- a proven box office draw

So how is Lively even remotely a draw?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Word of advice....dont take this stuff THAT personally.

Edited by JB33