kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

9 minutes ago, Harley said:

I think it would less risky to ask for that kind of money if a potential franchise was involved.  

Well, a POTENTIAL franchise is involved.  The third book will be out in January. (Or February?) Having said that, I'm sure it depends on how well the first one does as a movie.  They haven't announced three or anything.

but I think THR just asked what 'her ask' is in general terms, I doubt they know what she is making on this specific film.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

Do you guys think Jennifer's ever asked Emma Stone to put in a good word with Gosling to star with her so that she could have another box-office hit in a non-franchise?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. La La Land was Gosling's first hit with him as a focal character since Crazy Stupid Love (he was hardly the focus of The Big Short), and only two of his films have made over 80M (three if you count CSL's adjusted total). Hell, Passengers made more than nearly all of his filmography.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. La La Land was Gosling's first hit with him as a focal character since Crazy Stupid Love (he was hardly the focus of The Big Short), and only two of his films have made over 80M (three if you count CSL's adjusted total). Hell, Passengers made more than nearly all of his filmography.

Still, Fracture made more money than Lawrence's non-O. Russell/non-franchise films, and had no huge budget or marketing like Passengers.  The misperception of her bankability is part of why her fans were so stunned at mother! being a big flop.  They didn't listen when sage voices said that Hunger Games making money doesn't suddenly make her 90s Tom Cruise/Will Smith.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

Still, Fracture made more money than Lawrence's non-O. Russell/non-franchise films, and had no huge budget or marketing like Passengers.  The misperception of her bankability is part of why her fans were so stunned at mother! being a big flop.  They didn't listen when sage voices said that Hunger Games making money doesn't suddenly make her 90s Tom Cruise/Will Smith.  

8/19 of her films have made less than Fracture, and here's what they were:

4 of these were small indies before THG

Winter's Bone was an indie film released in June to very few theaters that resulted in her first Oscar nomination

House at the End of the Street was a decent horror hit (largely thanks to Hunger Games afterglow)that came close to Fracture's total

mother! is a non-mainstream film that went wide

Serena was a piece of shit that no studio wanted, yet JLaw is still getting roles!

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

:rofl:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

8/19 of her films have made less than Fracture, and here's what they were:

4 of these were small indies before THG

Winter's Bone was an indie film released in June to very few theaters that resulted in her first Oscar nomination

House at the End of the Street was a decent horror hit (largely thanks to Hunger Games afterglow)that came close to Fracture's total

mother! is a non-mainstream film that went wide

Serena was a piece of shit that no studio wanted, yet JLaw is still getting roles!

How many of her films grossed more than Fracture that weren't:

Pre-existing franchises like The Hunger Games or X-Men

O. Russell films after he started exploding with The Fighter

Sci-fi films with another fake A-lister that spent many times the budget of any of his films pre-Blade Runner 2049

I'll wait.  

She's never proven herself the way even someone like Jeremy Renner has with Wind River or that crap Hansel and Gretel movie.  It's always something that would make money without her, or something that doesn't make money with her.  lol

• Like 1

Just now, Jeriosnal said:

She's never proven herself the way even someone like Jeremy Renner has with Wind River or that crap Hansel and Gretel movie.  It's always something that would make money without her, or something that doesn't make money with her.  lol

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeriosnal said:

Do you guys think Jennifer's ever asked Emma Stone to put in a good word with Gosling to star with her so that she could have another box-office hit in a non-franchise?

Post Gosling beak breakout (the notebook)

He made 16 movie

Domestic:

3 made less than 1 million

7 made less than 10 million

All of them except 3 made less than a movie like Joy

The Nice Guys was a 92% on RT co-staring Crowe from the guy of Iron Man 3 and the Lethal weapon franchise supported by a big promo budget from one of the best studio WB, didn't reach 60m worldwide.

Drive was a 93% on RT movie that got a giant marketing campaign, nice supporting cast, didn't do 80m WW.

He was supporting in 2 of his 3 biggest (is 3 only hit) post notebook.

1 hour ago, Jeriosnal said:

They didn't listen when sage voices said that Hunger Games making money doesn't suddenly make her 90s Tom Cruise/Will Smith.  

Did anyone ever thought any actor now is 90s Tom cruise ? That is just ridiculous.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeriosnal said:

Gee. Could you qualify that some more? :D

Mother! is not the normal mainstream film, but all in all it became one of the most controversial, divisive and talked about films in years. And her performance was brilliant. That pays dividends in the end. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 2

This article was written based on the 20 minutes of footage Fox showed some time ago. It says nothing you wouldn't know about the plot if you have been following the movie, even if you haven't read the book.  However, it does say a couple of things that were not in the teaser trailer, so I'll just post the link without quotes. 

https://www.popsugar.com.au/celebrity/What-Red-Sparrow-Movie-About-44109653?utm_campaign=desktop_share&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=aupop

• Like 2

On 2017. 09. 14. at 6:39 PM, Barnack said:

Keep that secret (or keep it an option to ADR some of it in test screening) look almost like a strategy by now, every demo to distributor was without any talking also I think.

Such a strange Hollywood think, to have foreign language speech people talking to each other in English but with an accent.........

The Russians will speak English to each other as well?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trifle said:

This article was written based on the 20 minutes of footage Fox showed some time ago. It says nothing you wouldn't know about the plot if you have been following the movie, even if you haven't read the book.  However, it does say a couple of things that were not in the teaser trailer, so I'll just post the link without quotes. 

https://www.popsugar.com.au/celebrity/What-Red-Sparrow-Movie-About-44109653?utm_campaign=desktop_share&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=aupop

Is Jlaw going to be naked in this and why didn't they release a redband trailer? Perhaps the latter will come eventually. 

By the sound of it, the infamous hairbrush scene is happening. 

11 hours ago, trifle said:

The teaser didn't really grab me, but the description here has instantly intrigued me. Hope it's another hit for J-Law

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, misafeco said:

The Russians will speak English to each other as well?

I am not sure but almost certain, they didn't cast many Russian to play Russian, so I suppose that dialogue between Jeremy Irons, Lawrence, Rampling, Schoenaerts, etc... will be in English even if they are alone or 100% among Russian. Almost never happen if there is a large amount of non-English dialogue in a story to be with subtitle in Hollywood studio movie (no example come to mind).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure but almost certain, they didn't cast many Russian to play Russian, so I suppose that dialogue between Jeremy Irons, Lawrence, Rampling, Schoenaerts, etc... will be in English even if they are alone or 100% among Russian. Almost never happen if there is a large amount of non-English dialogue in a story to be with subtitle in Hollywood studio movie (no example come to mind).

The man from UNCLE is a pretty good recent example. Although they speak mainly English but there are some German/Italian/Russian as well from native English speakers too. Rush is another one, but it has German/Italian actors for the non-English parts.

• Like 1