WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Maze Runner - 30.3M | Black Mass - 23.4M | Everest - 7.5M | The Visit - 11.4M | Perfect Guy - 9.7M

I think the problem with Maze Runner imho is that the story just isnt that interesting. If it did about 10 mil on Friday without the Thursday number then it will probably finish right around 30 million for the weekend.

I think the problem with the MR is that outside of the maze gimmick from the first movie, it looks like every single YA dystopian franchise out there. :ph34r:

The most troubling thing about MR2 is that the audience failed to grow.

• Like 2

I think the problem with Maze Runner imho is that the story just isnt that interesting. If it did about 10 mil on Friday without the Thursday number then it will probably finish right around 30 million for the weekend. I think the problem with the MR is that outside of the maze gimmick from the first movie, it looks like every single YA dystopian franchise out there. :ph34r:   The most troubling thing about MR2 is that the audience failed to grow.
It didn't grow for Divergent either. Maze Runner is unique. We haven't had a male centric YA adaption since Harry Potter, and that was a whole different beast. I think with a movie like that a compelling story and characters are very important and I think they failed in that respect. Hopefully it's last outing can redeem the franchise.

MovieMan89, cmasterclay and some others are right. The people who predicted or hoped for a breakout for Black Mass like me were not only wrong but probably misled mainly by the percentages at MT (and being #3 at imdb in my case). There were some other factors that did not completely fit into the mould.

Obviously MT is a good indicator if there is interest in a film or not, but that's it. I have to be more careful in the future.

I can't help myself I'm still very disappointed with „only“ around 25M for BM although I know it's indeed a (very) good opening.

Maze Runner 2 is in line with my expectations, even a bit better.

Friday #BoxOffice Estimates: 'Maze Runner: Scorch Trials' $11 million; 'Black Mass' $8.8 million... full top ten to come.

Those numbers for Black Mass are what I expected, but they are not too good. They are good in relation to everything else that he has released this decade, but considering its budget and the fact that it is going to open below The Perfect Guy and The Visit, those numbers are unimpressive. The film's audience ratings and the reviews are not anything about which to write home, so I do not see it hitting $100,000,000 or being particular enduring as The Town.