WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Maze Runner - 30.3M | Black Mass - 23.4M | Everest - 7.5M | The Visit - 11.4M | Perfect Guy - 9.7M

It didn't grow for Divergent either. Maze Runner is unique. We haven't had a male centric YA adaption since Harry Potter, and that was a whole different beast. I think with a movie like that a compelling story and characters are very important and I think they failed in that respect. Hopefully it's last outing can redeem the franchise.

Yeah, no growth for the second film is a problem.

Divergent is in a shitty situation right now, splitting the last apparently terrible book into two movies and trying to fool the audience by not using the Part 1 Part 2 in the title. :lol:

Edited by Mojoguy

I wonder if both these movies coming out same weekend potentially hurt each other. There could be some crossover in the college age crowd

I doubt it. College crowd is most likely to pirate films, so they make the less impact these days.

MR2 is going for the teens and kids.

BM is clearly going for adults.

Yesterday I said I'd be shocked if that initial $10M for Mass didn't go up. "Shocked" might be too strong but I'm very surprised it went down. Assuming a combo of older folks waiting to go, mixed WOM and Everest performing well. Also, that's a fantastic opening for Sicario. Seeing it on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Mixed WOM? I guess if you pretend a B+ grade is bad, sure. Halfway to its production budget after opening weekend is pretty good.

And a big laugh at MR being like "every other YA adaptation out there". No. The violence and no shoe horned love triangle alone says that is incorrect. Also think Dylan O'Brien does laps around Jennifer Lawrence with his performance. JL is a terrific actress but man can she be wooden at times in THG.

• Like 1

JL is a terrific actress but man can she be wooden at times in THG.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nope

• Like 2

Mixed WOM? I guess if you pretend a B+ grade is bad, sure. Halfway to its production budget after opening weekend is pretty good.

And a big laugh at MR being like "every other YA adaptation out there". No. The violence and no shoe horned love triangle alone says that is incorrect. Also think Dylan O'Brien does laps around Jennifer Lawrence with his performance. JL is a terrific actress but man can she be wooden at times in THG.

Might not be mixed but folks don't seems to be raving. No shit doing half its budget is great. Didn't say it was underperforming; just spitballing why it didn't do more from that great Thursday number.