Wrath

BOT User Tracking, 10/2-4 Martian, Sicario

The fun gets kicked up a notch!

Our predicts this week are all kinda... well, non-descript, honestly.  Which is fine. The ratios (Stndev/Mean) for all 3 movies are right about where you'd expect, and our Martian and Sicario predicts are pretty close to the middle of the pack compared to the other predictors, though we're modestly optimistic about The Walk.

As usual, I went through the various predicts (25 for The Martian, 24 for Sicario and 11 for The Walk) and here's what we ended up with:

The Martian

Mean: 52.5M

Median: 53.0M

StnDev: 7.74M

Ratio (StnDev/Mean): 14.74%

High: 66.0M

Low: 37.3M

BO.com 56M

ComingSoon.com 49M

Deadline 42M

ScreenRant.com 52M

Variety 45M

Sicario

Mean: 12.5M

Median: 12.5M

StnDev: 3.57M

Ratio (StnDev/Mean): 28.53%

High: 19.2M

Low 7.5M

BO.com 14.3M

ComingSoon.com 12M

Deadline 9M

ScreenRant.com 

Variety 9M

The Walk (IMAX)

Mean: 5.0M

Median: 4.5M

StnDev: 1.93M

Ratio (StnDev/Mean): 38.59%

High: 8.4M

Low 3.0M

BO.com 4.2M

ComingSoon.com 2.6M

Deadline 3M

ScreenRant.com 

Variety 3.5M

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

*BOOM*. Now THAT was some good predicting.  Ok, The Walk wasn't so hot, but *damn* did we do well on the other two.

Martian

Prediction: 52.5M +/- 7.74M (1 standard deviation)

Actual: 54.3M (off by 1.8M, so 0.23 stndev)

Darn good. Our 5th most accurate predict (#1 was MI:5 which we called almost exactly perfectly, Minions was #3, and The Gallows was #4. I'll get back to #2 in a minute.) and while everyone was pretty close on it, we essentially tied with BO.com for the best predict. Ethan Hunt had the best predict at 54M. Interestingly, while we called it pretty closely, we actually had a decent range on our predicts, they just all averaged out to the right place.

Sicario

Prediction: 12.5M +/- 3.57M (1 standard deviation)

Actual: 12.1M (off by 0.4M, so 0.12 stndev)

Second best predict ever, very narrowly edging out Minions (0.119 stndev vs 0.121). Comingsoon.com edged us for the best overall predict (their 12.0 beat our 12.5) but we were dramatically closer than everyone else. Hilariously, our collective predict was *much* better than every single individual predict, as not one person turned in a predict anywhere between 11 and 14. Best predict was a tie at 11 between DAJK and DamienRoc.

The Walk (PLF release)

Prediction: 5.0M +/- 1.93M (1 standard deviation)

Actual: 1.6M (off by 3.4M, so 1.76 stndev)

Well, they can't all be winners. Fortunately, we had a big stndev so the result wasn't as bad as it probably looked, though it was still pretty bad. No one else did well either, but we picked the wrong movie to "go big" on, relative to the field. I'd be surprised if anyone else tries the "PLF to Wide" release strategy again anytime soon. Best predict was a tie between TalismanRing and WrathofHan at 3.0M.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

Ooh, I just noticed something else. WrathofHan is the last person standing in terms of turning in a valid predict for every movie we've done so far (38 for those scoring at home). This was something I'd been pondering in the back of my head, but as will soon be obvious I didn't realize how close we'd gotten. 

It turns out that prior to last weekend we were down to three people who had predicted for every single movie: Me, DAJK, and WrathofHan. I, embarrassingly, simply forgot, not realizing the title was in reach. DAJK, however, was eliminated on a bit of a technicality as he (I'm pretty sure DAJK is a he) did turn in a predict for every movie, but it was a 5-day predict for The Walk instead of a 3-day. So, sorry about that DAJK :(.

The people who've submitted 30 or more predicts are:

WrathofHan 38

DAJK 37

Wrath 35

Cjohn 33

Maxmoser3 32

Ethan Hunt 31

mahnamahna 31

DamienRoc 30

One thing that's kinda funny is that I have indeed been including predicts made in the Weekend Predict thread. So there are people who have quite a few predicts (like bapi at 28) but I don't think have been into one of these threads in quite some time and may have no idea this is even going on. Their lack of intent has no bearing on my appreciation for their dilligence!

Also, in case anyone is curious, 91 different people have submitted at least 1 predict, and there are 7 people who have submitted exactly 1 predict. Most notable is Halba, who made one predict (26M for Fantastic Four), won the closest predict for that movie, and hasn't predicted anything since.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

Ooh, I just noticed something else. WrathofHan is the last person standing in terms of turning in a valid predict for every movie we've done so far (38 for those scoring at home). This was something I'd been pondering in the back of my head, but as will soon be obvious I didn't realize how close we'd gotten. 

It turns out that prior to last weekend we were down to three people who had predicted for every single movie: Me, DAJK, and WrathofHan. I, embarrassingly, simply forgot, not realizing the title was in reach. DAJK, however, was eliminated on a bit of a technicality as he (I'm pretty sure DAJK is a he) did turn in a predict for every movie, but it was a 5-day predict for The Walk instead of a 3-day. So, sorry about that DAJK :(.

WrathofHan 38

DAJK 37

Wrath 35

Cjohn 33

Maxmoser3 32

Ethan Hunt 31

mahnamahna 31

DamienRoc 30

One thing that's kinda funny is that I have indeed been including predicts made in the Weekend Predict thread. So there are people who have quite a few predicts (like bapi at 28) but may have no idea this is even going on. Also, in case anyone is curious, 91 different people have submitted at least 1 predict, and there are 7 people who have submitted exactly 1 predict. Most notable is Halba, who made one predict (26M for Fantastic Four), won the closest predict for that movie, and hasn't predicted anything since.

The Wrath cannot be contained  :shades:

• Like 2

WrathofHan 38

DAJK 37

Wrath 35

Cjohn 33

Maxmoser3 32

Ethan Hunt 31

mahnamahna 31

DamienRoc 30

One thing that's kinda funny is that I have indeed been including predicts made in the Weekend Predict thread. So there are people who have quite a few predicts (like bapi at 28) but I don't think have been into one of these threads in quite some time and may have no idea this is even going on. Their lack of intent has no bearing on my appreciation for their dilligence!

Also, in case anyone is curious, 91 different people have submitted at least 1 predict, and there are 7 people who have submitted exactly 1 predict. Most notable is Halba, who made one predict (26M for Fantastic Four), won the closest predict for that movie, and hasn't predicted anything since.

Nobody's got time for technicalities :P

Congrats WrathofHan!

now I just have to wait for you to miss a week

• Like 2