WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

It doesn't matter what you or I (or the critics think).

I don't know, Mad Max just doesn't seem like something the Academy will go for. It'll get a lot of technical nominations at least.

PREACH the Academy doesn't know shit

Also this.

I feel like the Academy would nominate Mad Max for BP the same day Metallica gets nominated for best song. The movie is such a radical departure from the movies they've recognized for their entire existence that I will definitely have to see to believe. There are plenty of precedents for the kinds of movies like SW, The Martian, and IO however. 

• Like 3

Tele, you going to send your kid to Andover? That's the major question of the day...

:lol:

I don't know, Mad Max just doesn't seem like something the Academy will go for. It'll get a lot of technical nominations at least.

George Miller is widely loved and much admired by the Academy, plus I think there's a great deal of admiration for the perseverance and dedication needed to get the product done. The content may be unusual for traditional Academy bait, but as filmmakers, they all love a story about a passion project that turns out brilliantly.

• Like 2

I won't get into 2014 Oscars; I know I annoyed the shit out of everyone earlier this year because of them. I'm actively trying not to care about 2015 Oscars as much

Brace yourself now for when TGD and IO also cancel each other out in the Animated category and neither makes it in over Minions and Hotel Transylvania 2.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Brace yourself now for when TGD and IO also cancel each other out in the Animated category and neither makes it in over Minions and Hotel Transylvania 2.  :ph34r:

If both miss, it'll be:

Anomalisa 

When Marnie Was There 

Shaun the Sheep Movie

The Peanuts Movie 

Obscure indie film

Not that both would miss. Only one would - at least one Pixar should make it. 

• Like 2

Mad Max shouldn't have any problem getting like 4 technical nominations just for the sheer craft involved in making the film that shows up on screen. But yeah, there's no way it's happening in Best Picture, WB isn't gonna go the extra mile for what will at best be a fringe contender when there are too many other factors at play for them this year and probably want to keep any other potential losses at a minimum.

• Like 4