grim22

Bridget Jones's Baby | Sep 16 2016 | Sharon Maguire directing | Renee Zellweger, Colin Firth, Patrick Dempsey. Trailers on Page 2

So I just got back from a screening in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the promenade! I'm not really a big fan of these types of movies, but I actually really liked it, bordering on loved it. This is a really sweet movie about really relatable people who want to do the right thing, even if it leads into conflict with other characters. I found myself rooting for both gentlemen in the end. There's also some nice closure near the end of the movie with certain characters from the previous movies in the franchise. I found the movie to be full of heart, with a terrific performance by Renee Zellwegger. She has a way of coming off being really funny/zany without it being over the top. Pacing was kind of slow through the entire film, and the story/movie took a little bit to get going. Overall, I rather enjoyed it. Had several laugh out loud moments. Nice job. Have no idea how it will play with the GA. B+/A-.

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

I just want Renee to get that Golden Globe nomination just to show that the world still cares about her. It's pretty nutty to think this is her first movie in 6 years.

She's a great actress, do you know what her reasons are for staying away for so long by any chance?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

This is getting solid reviews so far with most agreeing this is much better than The Edge of Reason. Get that comeback, Renee!

Yeah, THR's review was encouraging. Emma Thompson is apparently very good.

So far 100% fresh on RT with 9 reviews...which is nothing, but I feel like if it was going to be panned, there would have been a rotten review in the pack already.

5 hours ago, The47th said:

Yeah, THR's review was encouraging. Emma Thompson is apparently very good.

So far 100% fresh on RT with 9 reviews...which is nothing, but I feel like if it was going to be panned, there would have been a rotten review in the pack already.

I hope you're right, I really like the first and the second is, eh, OK I guess.

It's great that reviews are good, but I wonder if there's still interest. For me at least, it's just been too long since the last one. Even with great reviews I just don't care about these characters anymore.

IDK, maybe that's just me, but I fail to detect much excitememnt for this movie.

Edited by JennaJ

Just now, JennaJ said:

It's great that reviews are good, but I wonder if there's still interest. For me at least, it's just been too long since the last one. Even with great reviews I just don't care about this franchise anymore.

IDK, maybe that's just me, but I fail to detect much excitememnt for this movie.

I think it could match The Edge of Reason's numbers with 12 years of inflation. Bridget Jones's Diary is still a beloved movie.

And as others have said, this is more of an international play than a domestic one. I just hope it all works out for Renee's sake, she really deserves a comeback.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Why is it Jones 's ?

Shouldn't it be Jones' ?

Or my english grammar is bad or Am I Missing something ?

Both are right

Proper nouns (names of people, cities, countries) that end in s can form the possessive either by adding the apostrophe + s or simply adding the apostrophe. Today both forms are considered correct (Jones's or Jones'), and many large organisations now drop the apostrophe completely (e.g. Barclays Bank, Missing Persons Bureau) when publishing their name.
EXAMPLES
  • The Hughes' home (or the Hughes's home)
  • Mr Jones's shop (or Mr Jones' shop)
  • Charles' book (or Charles's book)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine Universal are banking on this being successful OS rather than domestic especially in the UK. The budget's only $35m so if it does over $100m plus $30-40m domestic then it's a win

Even the first two were bigger O/S (both did $200m+) than the in the US, and the second did more in the UK

The first movie is wonderful, the second was dreadful - but that went for the first two books as well.  If this movie had followed the third book it would have been a bust.

• Like 1

No offense to the actors involved but I couldn't help but notice how much older everyone is for this storyline. Saw a tv spot and it was pretty distracting.  Just so much time has passed. But these are some great actors here so I think I could get lost in the story once it gets going.  I love BJD and can watch that movie anytime. I don't think EOR is awful but definitely missing the charm and heart of the first one.