kayumanggi

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE | 388.5 M overseas | 543.9 M worldwide

6 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I still think they really dropped the ball here by not casting another Chinese actor as a mutant like they did for DOFP. I think it would have made even more money over there if they had.

Nope, XMA has a worse release date than DOFP in China yet it will do better.

And trust me if you are referring to Fan Bing Bing, she did not help DOFP at all, I am pretty positive about that, in fact her last 3 movies were flops. She needs DOFP more than DOFP needs her.. 

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Nope, XMA has a worse release date than DOFP in China yet it will do better.

And trust me if you are referring to Fan Bing Bing, she did not help DOFP at all, I am pretty positive about that, in fact her last 3 movies were flops. She needs DOFP more than DOFP needs her.. 

Really? Are you saying that her casting and a big part of the movie taking place on the Great Wall didn't help it in China at all? Cause I'm sure that's what FOX was trying to do.

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Really? Are you saying that her casting and a big part of the movie taking place on the Great Wall didn't help it in China at all? Cause I'm sure that's what FOX was trying to do.

That's definitely their intention, it is obvious isn't it? Haha. Same as Casting Daniel Wu as Gul'Dan in Warcraft, and Jay Chou in Now You See Me 2, Angelababy in ID: Resurgence, but trust me when I say this, it doesn't really help.  Those movies will earn because of WOM or nostalgic buzz, not these chinese actors. Filming in China may have helped, but casting stars with a cameo may actually cause more harm than good.

Look at Zootopia and Civil War, Zootopia earned a lot due to many factors, but one factor was because the chinese were saying that Zootopia is a "genuine" movie which did not purposely try to cater to chinese taste by giving small or villain roles to Chinese. Did Civil War purposely cast an Asian? hem. Fast and Furious 7? Nope.

XMA did well also, without Fan Bing Bing from DOFP, despite a much worse release date. I think Hollywood needs to learn that casting Asians may not really help the box office. Even if they did cast Chinese actors, we need to look at actual Box Office draws like Jackie, Jet, Donnie, Jiang Wen.. Females they have Zhao Wei. And provided they have significant roles, because the Chinese are tired of cameos, seeing their stars on the poster and only appearing for 3mins in the film.

Fan Bing Bing is well known in China, but she is more "infamous" than famous in recent years, with her acting being criticized repeatedly, and her last 3 movies flopping badly..
We all know Fox's intention, but trust me, they gave too much credit to Fan, DOFP did well because it is a freaking Solid, best X Men movie the chinese audiences have ever watched (WITH OR WITHOUT FAN Bing Bing). 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

We all know Fox's intention, but trust me, they gave too much credit to Fan, DOFP did well because it is a freaking Solid, best X Men movie the chinese audiences have ever watched (WITH OR WITHOUT FAN Bing Bing). 

And why do you think XMA is out grossing DOFP considering it wasn't that good? 

did it have good WOM? was it because of the actors? What are the chinese in general saying about the movie?

I was checking Weibo and I saw a lot of users sharing pics of Kodi Smith Mcphee (Nightcrawler) and Evan Peters (Quicksilver), did they become famous in some way?

9 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

did it have good WOM? was it because of the actors? What are the chinese in general saying about the movie?

I was checking Weibo and I saw a lot of users sharing pics of Kodi Smith Mcphee (Nightcrawler) and Evan Peters (Quicksilver), did they become famous in some way?

Many reasons, haha. There are infinite reasons to watch a movie, but why XMA beats DOFP in China, well, i will try to address some reasons.

XMA isn't good? That's debatable. =) 
I think it depends on the Chinese's definition of good. Looking at Douban(which works like IMDB, based on audience ratings) https://movie.douban.com/subject_search?search_text=X战警&cat=1002 
You can see DOFP is rated 8.2/10 while XMA is rated 8.1/10, which is almost exactly identical, so XMA is considered AS GOOD as DOFP.
(As you know, Chinese Taste hasn't mature that much yet, in general. Films like Expendables, Fast and Furious, Transformers do extremely well because of their action, despite glaring plotholes and incoherent storytelling, so XMA's plotholes are considered almost non-existent, lol) 

Next, as you know in 2016 this year alone, the number of New Cinemas appearing in China has increased tremendously
“China is going to have 30,000 cinema screens by the end of this year” 
Thus even though the competition this year is worse, with Warcraft releasing within a week, but the number of screens and showtimes are enough to support 2 wide release movies and make sure both are box office success. Take a look at CNY this year, Mermaid, Monkey King 2 and Vegas to Macau 3 all did well, and cannibalism is almost non existent. In March, Ip Man 3 and Zootopia both did well despite having no public holidays and the former having Bluray release coinciding with the theater release.
This wouldn't be possible a few years back, when Dark Knight Rises came out with Amazing Spiderman on the same date in China, both suffered.

3rdly, DOFP's reputation and quality --> It definitely helped XMA, if XMA was released after X Men: First Class (assuming DOFP did not exist), then it wouldn't have done so well. The chinese had fond memories of DOFP and remembered X Men as a high quality franchise worthy of the ticket price.

Lastly, which is pretty unbelieveable, is that.. Warcraft helped X Men. Haha, let me explain this, Warcraft actually united Marvel Fans. On many forums, including one of the most popular Chinese Box Office forums, there was a topic trending which is literally Marvel Fans against Warcraft fans. And many chinese doesn't know that Sony owns Spiderman, Disney owns Marvel Studios, Fox owns Deadpool, X Men etc... Many of them think that Marvel itself is a company and brand.
So.. Warcraft fans were saying that Warcraft is gonna beat X Men so badly, and easily overtake Avenger's and CW's box office in China, and this sparked a lot of anger in Marvel Fans. Warcraft fans were posting Rotten tomatoes score of XMA in forums to deter people from watching it, only to find out Warcraft ends up having a worse RT score
And guess what happened yesterday when XMA surpassed DOFP's overall China BO? Warcraft just beat Civil War, so we will be seeing marvel fans re-watching XMA to support Marvel.
So while DOFP help gained fans through WOM, XMA should be registering more repeated viewers. =)

Kodi Mcphee and Evans Peter are definitely becoming more high profile in China! =) More people are getting to know them, and becoming fans of them especially teenage fan girls! haha. But if there is one thing I learn from China box office is that, there is no consistent box office draw... not even local superstars. Even Vin Diesel, whose FF7 is still all time Hollywood record in China.. well The Last Witch Hunter flopped in China, haha. Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen.. 3 local superstars and worldwide draw all have their fair shares of China BO flops, even though almost everyone in China knows them. 
China BO is still in a growth and vunlerable stage in stage of uncertainities, it is always good to become more famous and more mainstream, it can reduce the probability of a flop but too many other factors in play... 

PS: The list is non-exhaustive, but this is what I feel and am seeing on Weibo, forums etc. =)

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

:apocalypse:

Better than Civil War, just as good as DOFP. :ph34r:

27 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:
Spoiler

Many reasons, haha. There are infinite reasons to watch a movie, but why XMA beats DOFP in China, well, i will try to address some reasons.

XMA isn't good? That's debatable. =) 
I think it depends on the Chinese's definition of good. Looking at Douban(which works like IMDB, based on audience ratings) https://movie.douban.com/subject_search?search_text=X战警&cat=1002 
You can see DOFP is rated 8.2/10 while XMA is rated 8.1/10, which is almost exactly identical, so XMA is considered AS GOOD as DOFP.
(As you know, Chinese Taste hasn't mature that much yet, in general. Films like Expendables, Fast and Furious, Transformers do extremely well because of their action, despite glaring plotholes and incoherent storytelling, so XMA's plotholes are considered almost non-existent, lol) 

Next, as you know in 2016 this year alone, the number of New Cinemas appearing in China has increased tremendously
“China is going to have 30,000 cinema screens by the end of this year” 
Thus even though the competition this year is worse, with Warcraft releasing within a week, but the number of screens and showtimes are enough to support 2 wide release movies and make sure both are box office success. Take a look at CNY this year, Mermaid, Monkey King 2 and Vegas to Macau 3 all did well, and cannibalism is almost non existent. In March, Ip Man 3 and Zootopia both did well despite having no public holidays and the former having Bluray release coinciding with the theater release.
This wouldn't be possible a few years back, when Dark Knight Rises came out with Amazing Spiderman on the same date in China, both suffered.

3rdly, DOFP's reputation and quality --> It definitely helped XMA, if XMA was released after X Men: First Class (assuming DOFP did not exist), then it wouldn't have done so well. The chinese had fond memories of DOFP and remembered X Men as a high quality franchise worthy of the ticket price.

Lastly, which is pretty unbelieveable, is that.. Warcraft helped X Men. Haha, let me explain this, Warcraft actually united Marvel Fans. On many forums, including one of the most popular Chinese Box Office forums, there was a topic trending which is literally Marvel Fans against Warcraft fans. And many chinese doesn't know that Sony owns Spiderman, Disney owns Marvel Studios, Fox owns Deadpool, X Men etc... Many of them think that Marvel itself is a company and brand.
So.. Warcraft fans were saying that Warcraft is gonna beat X Men so badly, and easily overtake Avenger's and CW's box office in China, and this sparked a lot of anger in Marvel Fans. Warcraft fans were posting Rotten tomatoes score of XMA in forums to deter people from watching it, only to find out Warcraft ends up having a worse RT score
And guess what happened yesterday when XMA surpassed DOFP's overall China BO? Warcraft just beat Civil War, so we will be seeing marvel fans re-watching XMA to support Marvel.
So while DOFP help gained fans through WOM, XMA should be registering more repeated viewers. =)

Kodi Mcphee and Evans Peter are definitely becoming more high profile in China! =) More people are getting to know them, and becoming fans of them especially teenage fan girls! haha. But if there is one thing I learn from China box office is that, there is no consistent box office draw... not even local superstars. Even Vin Diesel, whose FF7 is still all time Hollywood record in China.. well The Last Witch Hunter flopped in China, haha. Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen.. 3 local superstars and worldwide draw all have their fair shares of China BO flops, even though almost everyone in China knows them. 
China BO is still in a growth and vunlerable stage in stage of uncertainities, it is always good to become more famous and more mainstream, it can reduce the probability of a flop but too many other factors in play... 

Wow, that's quite the update you're giving us regarding China! Fascinating, thanks for all that.

• Like 1

On 2016年6月18日 at 7:41 AM, A District 3 Engineer said:

Jubilee has chinese blood...

Yup, Fox dropped the ball. 

:sadben:

Fox never takes China seriously.If they do,China can do more than $150M without any Chinese actress.XMA hold very decently after ow,even Warcraft Can't impact much.XMA has so little promotion and showtimes.They miss a $200M big cake here.XMA takes over DoFP this weekend.So pity.It can be more and more

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, XMenSaga said:

with just those 12m this weekend.... even 550m arent a guarantee, right? oh well...

unless Japan numbers are a surprise, with more than 20m, but that wont happen, so.... around 530-540m I guess

Yeah, that seems to be the range. What a shame.