kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Have you even seen Detroit? Don't call it bait unless you've seen it, and you'd still be wrong. It might not even get nominated.

The theme is what makes it a new type of a bait. Also, I can't stand Bigelow procedural style of film-making so it's a pass particularly since I also can't stand Poulter and Boyega, two of the three most punchable faces in the cinema atm (the other one is DeHaan). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes they are. The nature of Oscar bait has changed because themes that bait have changed. Once it was Holocaust, now it's race relations and gay relations. Those are now sure-fire nominees and winners. AMPAS moved with time and will keep moving as slow as ever but it will.

So any movie that focuses on a group of people that aren't straight white men is automatically "Oscar bait." Gotcha.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So any movie that focuses on a group of people that aren't straight white men is automatically "Oscar bait." Gotcha.

Nope. Just Detroit/Selma/12YS stuff. I wouldn't call Moonlight bait cause it was too small and not political. Also, Hidden Figures cause that's a crowd pleaser, definitely not made just for AMPAS unlike the trio I singled out. 

Edited by Valonqar

49 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

I know it's premiering at TIFF and Venice, I wonder honestly if they're moving it up right after the festival circuit to sustain immediate hype from the festival and limit spread of spoilers.

Risky operation, but we'll see how it goes.

Venice had to insist to get the movie and Paramount changed the release date because Aronofski wanted it that way.

Hot take: Oscar bait is a really stupid name people use to denounce otherwise decent-to-great dramas or biopics in an attempt to sound above films made for "snooty elites," and I hate how it's used as a pejorative term, as if making a good movie that appeals to Academy voters and gives good directors and actors a chance to tell compelling and important stories is somehow a bad thing.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Hot take: Oscar bait is a really stupid name people use to denounce otherwise decent-to-great dramas or biopics in an attempt to sound above films made for "snooty elites," and I hate how it's used as a pejorative term, as if making a good movie that appeals to Academy voters and gives good directors and actors a chance to tell compelling and important stories is somehow a bad thing.

Image result for clap gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

It's hilariously misguided to call a movie Oscar bait especially without even seeing the goddamn movie you're referencing.

Specially for an August release, should have the benefit of the doubt.

Hot take: Oscar bait is a really stupid name people use to denounce otherwise decent-to-great dramas or biopics in an attempt to sound above films made for "snooty elites," and I hate how it's used as a pejorative term

It is also an hard term to define, is any movie that has an award season campaign budget before being made (say like an American Hustle/captain Philips) Oscar baits ? Or they reserve it more for movies that are more slowpaced/serious/theme like Shoah/race relation/etc... even thought they didn't had the award season more in mind when doing the movie.

Also when filmmaker get around the same age has the group of voters full of filmmaker (say a Spielberg) it is just natural for their taste to often simply align.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, That Floating Guy said:

It's hilariously misguided to call a movie Oscar bait especially without even seeing the goddamn movie you're referencing.

It's not hilarious at all. we have sites which predict the oscar nominated movies without seeing them. there's definitely an "oscar bait" movie category. the movies shares some common denominators.

Edited by Alli

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

It's not hilarious at all. we have sites which predict the oscar nominated movies without seeing them. there's definitely an "oscar bait" movie category. the movies shares some common denominators.

Never did I say Oscar bait doesn't exist (cough cough The Reader), but you shouldn't judge a film as being "Oscar bait" unless you've actually seen the movie and are able to determine if they really put genuine thought into it or if it was just a cheap ploy for awards

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

It's not hilarious at all. we have sites who predict the oscar nominated movies without seeing them. there's definitely an "oscar bait" movie category. the movies shares some common denominators.

If Oscar potential became synonymous of Oscar bait the term Oscar bait lose is meaning, 100% of non sequel Pixar release get predicted for the Oscar for example,same for all the planets of the apes movies, that does not make them Oscar bait.

Oscar bait is a term used in the film community for movies that appear to have been produced for the sole purpose of earning nominations for Academy Awards 

Everyone was predicting Dunkirk the moment it got announced, few feel that it is a movie to have been produced for the sole purpose of earning nominations, same for Coco or Inside Out.

18 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Never did I say Oscar bait doesn't exist (cough cough The Reader), but you shouldn't judge a film as being "Oscar bait" unless you've actually seen the movie and are able to determine if they really put genuine thought into it or if it was just a cheap ploy for awards

The Reader is the first movie that comes to mind when I think of Oscar Bait, although that may be salt from TDK being snubbed

FWIW the trailer views on YT are ahead of Get Out and pacing close to Split (neither had huge views either). Don't interpret the low view count as a bad thing; horror is a lot more reliant on WOM and reviews. The biggest thing mother! has going for it is the festival release will be 2 weeks before it comes out as opposed to a month prior for Get Out and 2-4 months for Split. That'll really allow Paramount to capitalize on buzz.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1