kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

The only Aronofsky movies to get polled by CS are The Fountain (C-) and Noah (C, and was evident from the movie's lack of staying power following a big opening). So yeah, I'm gonna wait and see the kind of reviews it gets and how audiences respond to this before predicting any kind of run.

Take that $100M number folks are throwing around divide it by 2. That's probably where this ends up at least if I had to make a guess right now that's where I see it 

which wouldnt be a bad thing. I just don't know how the GA is going to react it. I think having Jlaw in it will definitely help its BO prospects though 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Take that $100M number folks are throwing around divide it by 2. That's probably where this ends up at least if I had to make a guess right now that's where I see it 

Horror movies made good money this year. plus arofonky and JL are draws.

36 minutes ago, Nova said:

Well they moved it from its October release date to this new one because of festival season. But they could have still allowed to keep its original date and premiere it during festival season. 

Granted the weekend it comes out, has nothing. Americans assasin will flop and that Blake Lively movie is getting pushed back. 

But its more of them releasing it the weekend after IT and marketing it as horror type film that has me wondering why. Of course both films can co-exist....but I'm still questioning the decision lol 

That's why I'm thinking that they expect super buzz cause positioning it so close to IT that's taregting the same audience is pretty damn risky. Especially since they are aware of tremendous public interest in IT and tracking.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's why I'm thinking that they expect super buzz cause positioning it so close to IT that's taregting the same audience is pretty damn risky. Especially since they are aware of tremendous public interest in IT and tracking.

Well that's how I know that the movie is probably really damn good :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Well that's how I know that the movie is probably really damn good :lol: 

or really damn good bluff. ;) I mean, I'm sure the studio is convinced that they have a hit on their hands, but I'm also sure that Annapurna thought they had Compton 2.0 on their hands with Detroit, hence the same release time, no festivals (even though that type of a movie usually starts building buzz via that circuit). It wouldn't be the first time for a studio to make an enormous miscalculation. Hopefully that's not the case with Mother!

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

The September 15 date works much better than October 13. mother! and Happy Death Day would have been at each others' throats if they both released on the same day. It is going to be frontloaded anyways; mother! can just slash It's legs further. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Isn't september usually for failed oscar bait?

Not anymore. At least not for festival movies, which Mother! is. Any time between Sep and Dec is awards release time, though Dec is increasingly tricky now that all the buzz is built between Sep and Nov. 

Moreover, Mother is hardly an Oscar bait. for that, look in the direction of Detroit, Call Me By Your Name, Papers.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

I don't think moving it from October to September is the issue. I think it's probably gonna be a very good film (even though the trailer did nothing for me) because they moved it to the weekend directly after IT. 

I dont think they would do that if they thought the movie was bad. 

But as ive said in previous threads, having a great movie helps the BO, but just because your movie is great doesn't mean it'll do well at the BO. 

But my doubts arent in the films quality. Like I said I think the movie will be very good. My doubts lie in how the GA will react to this film and whether the marketing strategy for the film is going to work. 

Why is there Oscar talk for this?  LOL.  Because of JLaw?  Come on guys.  There was oscar talk for Live by Night at one time.  Lets see how the reception is first.

• Like 1

I know it's premiering at TIFF and Venice, I wonder honestly if they're moving it up right after the festival circuit to sustain immediate hype from the festival and limit spread of spoilers.

Risky operation, but we'll see how it goes.

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Why is there Oscar talk for this?  LOL.  Because of JLaw?  Come on guys.  There was oscar talk for Live by Night at one time.  Lets see how the reception is first.

It's because of Darren Aronofsky more than JLaw.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's because of Darren Aronofsky more than JLaw.

This. Oscar predictors are all about analogy. So if Aronofsky got major noms for horror-ish Black Swan, than horror(ish) Mother! is a contender. If GdT got major nom for fantasy Pan's Labyrith, than fantasy Shape of the Water is a contender. Etc.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not anymore. At least not for festival movies, which Mother! is. Any time between Sep and Dec is awards release time, though Dec is increasingly tricky now that all the buzz is built between Sep and Nov. 

Moreover, Mother is hardly an Oscar bait. for that, look in the direction of Detroit, Call Me By Your Name, Papers.

Lmao, Detroit isn't Oscar bait, and I'm willing to bet CMBYN isn't either

21 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Am I one of the few who was left unimpressed by the trailer?  

I knew you'd say this :lol: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Lmao, Detroit isn't Oscar bait, and I'm willing to bet CMBYN isn't either

yes they are. The nature of Oscar bait has changed because themes that bait have changed. Once it was Holocaust, now it's race relations and gay relations. Those are now sure-fire nominees and winners. AMPAS moved with time and will keep moving as slow as ever but it will.

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

yes they are. The nature of Oscar bait has changed because themes that bait have changed. Once it was Holocaust, now it's race relations and gay relations. Those are now sure-fire nominees and winners. AMPAS moved with time and will keep moving as slow as ever but it will.

Have you even seen Detroit? Don't call it bait unless you've seen it, and you'd still be wrong. It might not even get nominated.

Edited by WrathOfHan