CaptainJackSparrow

The Jungle Book | 543.1m Overseas | 885.6m Worldwide

THE JUNGLE BOOK
There were no new openings for The Jungle Book this weekend. The international swing in the frame was $15.2M for an offshore cume of $516.3M and a global Kaa-ching of $828.06M. In its 6th romp, the Jon Favreau-helmed pic was in 50 markets as Mowgli awaits his debut in Korea and Japan. The drop-off was 39%. China remains the top spot with $151M, followed by the UK at $56.5M, India’s $37.4M, Mexico’s $23.5M and France’s $23.4M. TJB has concluded its run in the Middle Kingdom, but not before becoming Disney’s No. 4 release there ever.

Source: Deadline.com 

35M+ from holdovers

45M+ from Domestic (if Alice doesn't hurt it)

55M+ Japan, SK and HK

Not sold on 1B+ yet..hopefully it's get there

Deadline

In its 7th frame, The Jungle Book held strong with a $7.4M weekend which swings the international cume to $530.2M and the global total to $857.7M. Currently playing in 47 material markets, it still has Korea and Japan to come. China, where the run is over, leads markets with $150.1M, followed by the UK which had only a 12% drop this frame and now has a total $59.6M in the pouch. India ($38.4M), France ($24.7M) and Mexico ($24.2M) make up the rest of the Top 5. Hong Kong opens next weekend followed by Korea on June 2 and Japan on August 11. Even before Mowgli and Baloo bear down in those markets, they are closing in on the No. 3 spot on the 2016 global box office chart. Batman V Superman currently occupies the space at $870.2M. When TJB swings ahead, Disney will have the Top 3 movies of the year worldwide along with Civil War and Zootopia.

Still hoping for $1B WW although it seems like Japan and South Korea will have to score big numbers to get there.

Same hope here. I noticed that Life of Pi (movie I think relates closest to TJB) did not do very well in Japan & SK [emoji53]

7 hours ago, ttr said:

Same hope here. I noticed that Life of Pi (movie I think relates closest to TJB) did not do very well in Japan & SK emoji53.png

actually I think LoP did relatively great in SK for what it is, almost 5 to 10 times better than expected, but yeah, it didn't break out the way it was in China or in the US/UK.

I'm hoping/expecting TJB to have a Jurassic World kinda run in Korea. (5M+ adm./$40M+) competition is a little tough but still doable, I think!

but right now, 3M~4M/$20M~$30M total seems more likely. Korea is a HUGE video game nation and TJB opening with Warcraft might hurt it more than it should. The Conjuring 2 also opens in the same week and Park Chan Wook's the Handmaiden from the week before has a potential to steal all the adult moviegoers if it's controversial and steamy enough to earn the "must-see" status. Then the market's left empty for 2 weekends with no relevant releases then come ID:R, Tarzan and Dory back-to-back, which means TJB won't be able to enjoy what Zootopia did, an empty market for a full month or two after the good WOM spread out. Although I assume TJB would start bigger, but it won't develop good legs like Zoo. 

the best scenario would be: TJB hits $900M before it opens in Korea and Japan, then $40M in Korea and $60M in Japan.

12 hours ago, Quigley said:

Still hoping for $1B WW although it seems like Japan and South Korea will have to score big numbers to get there.

I think it will get there. Every place this film plays, it has good legs. It's still got what, $20m more in the USA tank? It will be a big hit in J and K. I expect $1B. 

3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I think it will get there. Every place this film plays, it has good legs. It's still got what, $20m more in the USA tank? It will be a big hit in J and K. I expect $1B. 

It had an 11m 3-day wih a MD 4-day to cushion the blow despite the competition. It will add way more than 20m in USA.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It had an 11m 3-day wih a MD 4-day to cushion the blow despite the competition. It will add way more than 20m in USA.

TJB over Deadpool DOM? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

True, but it's not a brand new franchise like Zootopia is. Also, its last few weekends are smaller compared to Zootopia's.

Eh, IMO a remake of a 1967 movie is basically a new movie. And it has outperformed Z every comparable "week", which IMO is a better indicator than "weekend".

Give TJB its props: It is out-zootopiang Zootopia, fair and square. And it is doing it in the face of thicker summer competition. As a huge fan of both, at this point I am just hoping that each makes it to $1B. :)

Edited by SteveJaros

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Eh, IMO a remake of a 1967 movie is basically a new movie.

Give TJB its props: It is out-zootopiang Zootopia, fair and square. And it is doing it in the face of thicker summer competition. :)

Its source material is over 120 years old. Come on, man.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Its source material is over 120 years old. Come on, man.

LOL, you come on. The "source material" is by Rudyard Kipling. How many kids grow up exposed to that these days? From the perspective of a kid, it is a "new" story. 

And the proper hold metric here is "weekly", not "weekend", eh? JB has beaten Z every comparable week. 

Edited by SteveJaros

6 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

JB has beaten Z every comparable week. 

Erm, no it hasn't! Zootopia's 3rd, 4th and 5th weeks were bigger than TJB's 3rd, 4th and 5th weeks.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=disney2016.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=junglebook2015.htm

Edited by m3racer123
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

Erm, no it hasn't! Zootopia's 3rd, 4th and 5th weeks were bigger than TJB's 3rd, 4th and 5th weeks.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=disney2016.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=junglebook2015.htm

I stand corrected. I actually did look at those numbers before I posted that statement, but somehow screwed it up anyway, LOL. Think i compared Z's "weekend" figures to JB's "weekly" figures. That will do it. :)

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I stand corrected. I actually did look at those numbers before I posted that statement, but somehow screwed it up anyway, LOL. :)

Maybe you were looking at Zootopia's weekend figures compared to TJB's weekly figures!

Zootopia has still been much leggier than TJB, and will end up with a 4.5x OW multiplier compared to around 3.6x for TJB. Although to be fair to TJB, a larger opening will always lead to a lower multiplier (unless you're Star Wars of course).

Edited by m3racer123