kayumanggi

Weekend estimates: 15.90 M THE MARTIAN | 15.50 M GOOSEBUMPS | 11.37 M BOS | 10.83 M TLWH | 9.00 M HT II | 8.20 M PA: TGD | 7.27 M STEVE JOBS

Scout Zombies will do 2.3-3.5M at most since it will open in around the same amount of theaters as Paranormal Activity. Burnt is gonna tank hard since it has no marketing. I think Our Brand is Crisis might do a decent 10-13M and win the weekend.

Horror comedy is always a tough sell unless you're part of the Ghostbusters or Scary Movie franchises. Add non-existent marketing and Scout could totally make less than Jem. The last time I saw marketing for Burnt it wasn't even called that. Our Brand is Crisis looks about as appealing as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close or All About Steve. If the movie does anymore than 10m than Bullock's draw power is the one and only reason. But I doubt she can draw in that big of a stinker. She couldn't in the other two I mentioned. 500k-1.5m for Scout, 2-3m for Burnt, and 7-10m for Crisis. 

Horror comedy is always a tough sell unless you're part of the Ghostbusters or Scary Movie franchises. Add non-existent marketing and Scout could totally make less than Jem. The last time I saw marketing for Burnt it wasn't even called that. Our Brand is Crisis looks about as appealing as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close or All About Steve. If the movie does anymore than 10m than Bullock's draw power is the one and only reason. But I doubt she can draw in that big of a stinker. She couldn't in the other two I mentioned. 500k-1.5m for Scout, 2-3m for Burnt, and 7-10m for Crisis. 

Yikes those would be depressing numbers. Another #1 for The martian then? 

Say what you will about this weekend's movies, but I feel like at least Steve Jobs, Paranormal, Witch Hunter, and even Jem had some visibility and awareness. People obviously just didn't care about them. With next weekend though, I feel like those movies have next to no awareness and on top of that I doubt people care about them. So I would brace for full blown disaster. 

Our Brand is Crisis is a failed Oscar bait though and with the "Oscar" movies like Steve Jobs and to an extent Bridge of Spies not performing that well, then what more that movie, I expect 5-7M OW

Anyway, The Martian at least is doing well and Goosebumps is solid

• Like 1

Surprise Open Road hasn't well closed it's doors yet!

And you know...Orion, Overture, Open Road...don't ever make a studio starting with the letter O is the moral of the story here!

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Studio exec #1: "Let's make Jem movie that barely resembles Jem!"

Studio exec #2: "Then why call it Jem?"

Studio exec #1: "........You're fired"

Sadly not true. I'm sure if the studio was the one actually behind Jem, not the one just distributing it, it would have been better.

The Martian and Goosebumps should be in a dead-heat for the #1 spot this weekend. Behind the strength of Saturday and Sunday matinees, I'll give the edge to Goosebumps.

The Last Witch Hunter did as well as could be expected behind lame advertising and awful reviews. Once again, Vin Diesel has precious little drawing power beyond the Fast & Furious franchise.

Paranormal Activity is off to a weak start, even after factoring in the relatively limited scope of its release. It's hard to believe that it has been just three years since the $15 million opening day of the fourth film was considered to be a disappointment.

I'm happy to see that Bridge of Spies held as well as it did.

Steve Jobs appears to have been lost in the adult-target shuffle, which is too bad. The movie is great, so a wide opening in the vicinity of $7 million is quite disappointing.

Hotel Transylvania 2 has held up quite well, especially in the face of very direct competition from in-house production Goosebumps.

Jem and the Holograms and Rock the Kasbah both had epically bad openings, but both are to be expected against awful ad campaigns.

So can we blame Hasbro? Surely they had to sign off on the concept.

As Deadline points out, Universal had a similar flop 14 years ago with Josie and the Pussycats.  At this point, comparing the box office numbers for Josie vs. Jem is like comparing the box offices for Age of Ultron vs. 2015 Fantastic Four.  So, how did this get theatrically released, when Universal's own movie history suggested it was "probably not a good idea," to use another of their movie quotes?  I would say Hasbro shares some of the blame here.

• Like 1

So, is it time to to start a BoS over 100m Dom club? What would be the chances for that? 

Too early to tell and we're not sure if it can continue to have good holds but with awards season coming, and this one expected to be a player then maybe it would get some bounce but 100M is very tough to do

Edited by forg

Not an awful night at my theatre. Paranormal and Witch hunter stayed flat, yet Crimson made around half of what it did yesterday. Martian is starting to slow down, but it still made the equivalent of $6M and Goosebumps made twice that. Wasn't crazy busy but it wasn't super dead either.

• Like 3