Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I know but what's funny is the only superhero movie to win a best feature Oscar was The Incredibles and Big Hero 6, and those were under the animated category.

I know.

Believe me, I dream of the day that superhero films are not seen as "lesser" in terms of their potential to be Oscar contenders.

If Nolan cannot get TDK to an Oscar nod, I don't know who can.

Maybe if Spielberg, Cameron, Scorcese...or...LOL Woody Allen ever decide to do a superhero film. 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I know.

Believe me, I dream of the day that superhero films are not seen as "lesser" in terms of their potential to be Oscar contenders.

If Nolan cannot get TDK to an Oscar nod, I don't know who can.

Maybe if Spielberg, Cameron, Scorcese...or...LOL Woody Allen ever decide to do a superhero film. 

To be honest here, the only times I felt a superhero movie could get a Best Picture nod or worthy were with Logan, TDK, Winter Solider, Avengers and Wonder Woman.

Just now, YourMother said:

To be honest here, the only times I felt a superhero movie could get a Best Picture nod or worthy were with Logan, TDK, Winter Solider, Avengers and Wonder Woman.

Just wait until Woody Allen makes the first film about a neurotic middle-aged Jewish New Yorker (Allen) who moonlights as a superhero vigilante and falls in love with his half-his-age gentile superheroine sidekick (Jennifer Lawrence). The villain will be Jeff Goldblum and Goldblum's evil henchwoman will be Lisa Kudrow.

Oscar sweep anyone?

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Now back to the sarcasm: add the amazingly nuanced, sharply humanistic, deeply intelligent comedy in the MCU films, and you have to wonder why no MCU film has been nominated for a Best Picture Oscar yet.

Isn't that a compliment?

In keeping with the thread, I remember when the Capt America film came out and a lot of people were claiming that he would fail OS because only people in the US would care about him.

Just saw something interesting:

Capt America TFA:  52.3% OS/47.7% Dom

CA TWS:  63.6% OS/36.4% Dom

CA CW:   64.6% OS/35.4% Dom

Always over 50% of the gross came from OS and it just got better as it went along.   So much for that idea.

Now compare that to WW:

49.7% OS/50.3% Dom

Looks like WW is the one that is more popular in the US than OS.

Although...she does better than Batman did most of the time:

BB:  44.7% OS/55.3% Dom

TDK:  46.8% OS/53.2% Dom

TDKR: 58.7%/41.3% Dom

Superman on the other hand:

MoS:  56.4% OS/43.6% Dom

Interesting.   The two "boy scouts" are more popular OS than Dom.

29 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

WW and batman are earning twice as much as cap domestic. I don't see how in that case having larger dom percentage is a bad thing.

I never claimed they didn't.   I said Cap is obviously not heavily skewed toward Dom as was claimed before his first movie was released.   Everything has its own level of popularity.   It's just interesting that WW and Batman are usually more popular in the US than OS.   Superman did more business OS too...another character that has an "American" image.

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

I never claimed they didn't.   I said Cap is obviously not heavily skewed toward Dom as was claimed before his first movie was released.   Everything has its own level of popularity.   It's just interesting that WW and Batman are usually more popular in the US than OS.   Superman did more business OS too...another character that has an "American" image.

Bit dangerous to freely compare dbo/os ratio over year's like that, it changed quite a bit in the last 10 year's.

Captain America First avengers was domestic heavy:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2011&p=.htm

Is 47.7% was the most domestic heavy title of 2011 in the top 20 worldwide, Thor was 40/60 that year.

In the post avengers sequels he is not a Americans soldier anymore nor the movie set in the US military doing something and is now known to be in the MCU, not as much of an issue.

Edited by Barnack

43 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Bit dangerous to freely compare dbo/os ratio over year's like that, it changed quite a bit in the last 10 year's.

Is 47.7% was the most domestic heavy title of 2011 in the top 20 worldwide, Thor was 40/60 that year.

In the post avengers sequels he is not a Americans soldier anymore.

One can partially thank Paramount and their skittish and sometimes barely existent marketing O/S for CA: TFA  to the point where they gave countries the option not to call it Captain America

On 9/9/2017 at 0:05 PM, Barnack said:

In the post avengers sequels he is not a Americans soldier anymore nor the movie set in the US military doing something and is now known to be in the MCU, not as much of an issue.

Not really accurate to just count the top 20 or to not count anything after Avengers as if he isn't Capt America any more.

The original claim was that the character would not play OS....not the story.  (We still have some pundits whining about the name of the character)   And the claim certainly was not that he would be middle of the pack.    ....Most certainly not on the side where he grossed more OS than Dom.    That's not "domestic heavy".   Cap should have at least been where Green Lantern was that year with 53% Dom according to the claims.   It wasn't supposed to work at all OS.

18 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Not really accurate to just count the top 20 or to not count anything after Avengers as if he isn't Capt America any more.

The original claim was that the character would not play OS....not the story.  (We still have some pundits whining about the name of the character)   And the claim certainly was not that he would be middle of the pack.    ....Most certainly not on the side where he grossed more OS than Dom.    That's not "domestic heavy".   Cap should have at least been where Green Lantern was that year with 53% Dom according to the claims.   It wasn't supposed to work at all OS.

Those were strange claim (I have in mind reasonable claim from knowledgeable people and will fully acknowledged that those ridiculous claim were ridiculous it was still an superheroes giant action movie set in part in Europe in a global event, a genre that is use to a very americana aesthetic from Superman/Batman/Raimi SpiderMan ).

The story matter usually, look at American Sniper vs American Hustle different ratio, it is not purely the name but all the aesthetic of the movie marketing, and some distributor didn't use the name American in their title of that movie like in Russia ("The first Avenger") for a reason.

That's not "domestic heavy".

It is for an action blockbuster imo, compare those with the Will Smith/Tom Cruise big action movie, those marvel movie before the avenger were Anglo-saxon/traditional comic-book market heavy (that is not a bad thing at same WW box office you want as domestic heavy as possible). Just not necessarily heavy for a Marvel movie of that time, Iron Man 2 was 50/50 after all just the year before, but usually over 45% dbo is certainly domestic heavy.

Edited by Barnack

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Those were strange claim (I have in mind reasonable claim from knowledgeable people and will fully acknowledged that those ridiculous claim were ridiculous it was still an superheroes giant action movie set in part in Europe in a global event, a genre that is use to a very americana aesthetic from Superman/Batman/Raimi SpiderMan ).

The story matter usually, look at American Sniper vs American Hustle different ratio, it is not purely the name but all the aesthetic of the movie marketing, and some distributor didn't use the name American in their title of that movie like in Russia ("The first Avenger") for a reason.

It is for an action blockbuster imo, compare those with the Will Smith/Tom Cruise big action movie, those marvel movie before the avenger were Anglo-saxon/traditional comic-book market heavy (that is not a bad thing at same WW box office you want as domestic heavy as possible). Just not necessarily heavy for a Marvel movie of that time, Iron Man 2 was 50/50 after all just the year before, but usually over 45% dbo is certainly domestic heavy.

"Domestic heavy" would need to be at least over 50% domestic like Green Lantern that same year or like WW this year.

The "story" thing is not what the claim was.   It was about the character of Capt America.   Supposedly he would fail OS as a character...not due to a particular story.   The skeptics certainly didn't think Cap would fare better OS than GL did.

29 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

"Domestic heavy" would need to be at least over 50% domestic like Green Lantern that same year or like WW this year.

The "story" thing is not what the claim was.   It was about the character of Capt America.   Supposedly he would fail OS as a character...not due to a particular story.   The skeptics certainly didn't think Cap would fare better OS than GL did.

From the numbers, what can be ascertained is that WW was more well known in the US than OS and CA wasn't very well know anywhere.

So Disney released their schedule for next 4 years.

I don't have a concise list sorry.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a824808/disney-movie-schedule-2017-2018-2019-star-wars-marvel-live-action-remake/

Wonder why they haven't announced anything for 2020 December.. hmmm

I found this video very interesting.

Given that DC, especially Synder moviess get a lot of flak for their color pallette, I had always assumed that Marvel movies oversaturated the color to make the picture zing more.

It seems the opposite is the case,

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

I found this video very interesting.

Given that DC, especially Synder moviess get a lot of flak for their color pallette, I had always assumed that Marvel movies oversaturated the color to make the picture zing more.

It seems the opposite is the case,

Maybe they shouldn't hire tv directors and if they don't want it to look like something from a tv.