Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

I wonder if A2 does under $2B, how’d IronJimbo would react?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I got Avatar 2 at $2.4B-$3B tbh, China will be yuge

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Haha 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Im pretty sure Tumblr is bigger. But back in my day DeviantArt, Live journal, or FanFiction.net were the big fan fiction/art sites. 

Tumblr and AO3 basically work as complementary platforms.  After we lost LJ (RIP), the fan fiction went to AO3 and the meta discussion and fanart went to tumblr.

My point is that I agree that Avatar has no lasting fandom -- especially compared to the other franchises discussed in this thread.

It might sound silly, but the truth is: a healthy fan fiction community helps maintain a fandom during its dormant periods (aka, the periods without new content release).  The BBC's Sherlock is a prime example of this (just trust me.  Don't go into that fandom, that terrible, terrible fandom).

• Like 3

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Tumblr and AO3 basically work as complementary platforms.  After we lost LJ (RIP), the fan fiction went to AO3 and the meta discussion and fanart went to tumblr.

My point is that I agree that Avatar has no lasting fandom -- especially compared to the other franchises discussed in this thread.

It might sound silly, but the truth is: a healthy fan fiction community helps maintain a fandom during its dormant periods (aka, the periods without new content release).  The BBC's Sherlock is a prime example of this (just trust me.  Don't go into that fandom, that terrible, terrible fandom).

Online fandom doesn't really translate well to ratings or box office success. Plenty of properties are huge online that don't find mainstream success or even turn a profit. Meanwhile properties without a big online fandom can be very successful. There's no real correlation.

• Like 1

It's funny how a stand alone film with no existing fandom can go onto become the highest grossing film of all time. Kind of funny how everything needs to be a sequel of a sequel to even get close to Jim.

• Haha 1

Lol, poor Jimbo always getting ganged up on with Avatar hate. But you're such an easy target since you never shut up about it! To be fair, I think the forum is greatly underestimating Avatar 2 on the whole. It will probably decrease in every market outside of China, but I don't think it's going to fall off a cliff in most markets. 2.5b+ WW could happen if China is 500-600 huge. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's funny how a stand alone film with no existing fandom can go onto become the highest grossing film of all time. Kind of funny how everything needs to be a sequel of a sequel to even get close to Jim.

It was the 3D gimmick. Look what it did with Alice in Wonderland. The sequel will drop like the Alice sequel did.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

It was the 3D gimmick. Look what it did with Alice in Wonderland. The sequel will drop like the Alice sequel did.

Lol, it's a James Cameron film that he's spending over a decade making. It's not going to crash 70%+ worldwide like Alice 2, let's be real. It would be shocking if it didn't become the highest grossing Hollywood release ever in China, so that gives it a solid 450m+ right there. I give it a $1.8b floor WW. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, it's a James Cameron film that he's spending over a decade making. It's not going to crash 70%+ worldwide like Alice 2, let's be real. It would be shocking if it didn't become the highest grossing Hollywood release ever in China, so that gives it a solid 450m+ right there. I give it a $1.8b floor WW. 

what's your ceiling?

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

what's your ceiling?

Don’t have one. It is Cameron after all, so all bets are off for a ceiling. Don’t interpret that as me predicting it to outrgross A1 though, because for the moment I’m not. Maybe marketing will change my mind though.

• Like 1

Just for shits and giggles if you take the all time DOM champ, the all time China champ, and the all time OS-China champ you get a gross of $3.616b. And that’s unadjusted of course. So what I’m saying is come early next decade maybe a $4b we grosser could be possible. Now don’t go getting any ideas @IronJimbo:Venom:

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I think we'll find out what new build up is after TA4. I have faith that they know where the story is going beyond Thanos.

I'm not worried at all.

I don't even think there needs to be another overarching arc- at least not immediately.  People didn't go to all the phase 3 movies because they were hyped for Infinity War, the Infinity Stones, or Thanos, they went to those movies for a lot of reasons- the characters, the action, the humor, etc.  People are going to go to Black Panther's sequel, Spider-man's sequel, The Guardian's sequel.  And if Marvel can make their new franchises look fresh and interesting, they'll go to those as well.

I'd be happy if there wasn't another MCU wide teamup for say, 5 years.  Have more minor teamups like what we saw in Ragnarok, Homecoming, and The Winter Soldier. That way when the Avengers do come back- its an event again.

Didn't remember it was that bad :

Film Rotten Tomatoes Metacritic CinemaScore
Man of Steel 55% (309 reviews)[252] 55 (47 critics)[253] A−[254]
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 27% (379 reviews)[255] 44 (51 critics)[256] B[254]
Suicide Squad 27% (329 reviews)[257] 40 (53 critics)[258] B+[254]
Wonder Woman 92% (373 reviews)[259] 76 (50 critics)[260] A[254]
Justice League 40% (313 reviews)[261] 45 (52 critics)[262] B+[254]

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Didn't remember it was that bad :

Film Rotten Tomatoes Metacritic CinemaScore
Man of Steel 55% (309 reviews)[252] 55 (47 critics)[253] A−[254]
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 27% (379 reviews)[255] 44 (51 critics)[256] B[254]
Suicide Squad 27% (329 reviews)[257] 40 (53 critics)[258] B+[254]
Wonder Woman 92% (373 reviews)[259] 76 (50 critics)[260] A[254]
Justice League 40% (313 reviews)[261] 45 (52 critics)[262] B+[254]

It’s perverse to think BVS and JL came about as responses to MOS’ reception and “course correct” but instead the opposite happened.

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

It’s perverse to think BVS and JL came about as responses to MOS’ reception and “course correct” but instead the opposite happened.

There is really something about Snyder that seems to rub the critics the wrong way.

Also, critics turned a blind eye to all the snyderisms in Wonder Woman because of course.

Edited by The Futurist

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just for shits and giggles if you take the all time DOM champ, the all time China champ, and the all time OS-China champ you get a gross of $3.616b. And that’s unadjusted of course. So what I’m saying is come early next decade maybe a $4b we grosser could be possible. Now don’t go getting any ideas @IronJimbo:Venom:

Just who the hell do you think I am MovieMan? I've been entertaining $4b for a while now.

It's as simple as this, if it becomes the highest grossing Domestic film, it makes $4b.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1