Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The budgets would be cut to WDAS levels if that was the case which is still high but not $200-250m high. 

I imagine the backgrounds of most Pixar films would probably suffer the most, if that was the case. 

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Someone help me edit this post, I'm having issues. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

The arguement is simple.

A small vocal minority complain about more original films but end up going with the concensus and watch common folk fare anyways. 

People want films like fast 7 jurassic world and the Avengers and Sw7.

According to this argument, the best burger ever made is McDonald's quarter-pounder.

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

According to this argument, the best burger ever made is McDonald's quarter-pounder.

I think it's also quite to overwhelming majority that the Oscars choices are not a  reflection of what the best film is either.

Especially as best pics go unnoticed at the box office these days.

Edited by Lordmandeep

23 minutes ago, Goffe said:

it's doesn't mean good either. 

but at least they would have tried?

I admire BvS a lot for thinking out of the box, despite me not liking the film very much. Well, except for that third act.

Safe is good when audience and critics are happy and satisfied and you can green light sequels.

It sucks to be a Fantastic Four fan. It sucks to be a DC fan.

I think they would prefer so-called safe movies that were getting favorable reviews, huge profits, wide appeal from the masses, and promising sequels and spin offs lined up beyond this decade.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think it's also quite to overwhelming majority that the Oscars choices are not a  reflection of what the best film is either.

as it should be*

*since apparently your definition  of best film is purely based on financial success. 

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I certainly can't speak for them, but just in general: if they loved the movie in question, why should they care about anything else?

Because they have limited people to share the love with compared to the star wars fans

• Community Manager
Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Because they have limited people to share the love with compared to the star wars fans

Same with Marvel and every other franchise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The best is very subjective because everyone has individual tastes. But, if you're trying to make a blockbuster, then you want to appeal to the most people. So you want to have the McDonalds burger (or more accurately the Five Guys burger b/c you want the prestige along with mass appeal). If you're in the business of blockbusters that is.

There are 6 major movie studios today and all 6 are playing the blockbuster game. Therefore, they need to make movies where the most people will say that they're the best movies. Especially today where movie attendance is down, but people show up in mass for event movies. You're obviously entitled to dismiss them as not your cup tea too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I certainly can't speak for them, but just in general: if they loved the movie in question, why should they care about anything else?

It's a bit messier than that. I really liked both MoS and BvS despite their flaws(which are wildly exaggerated but I'm digressing here) and the only reason I care about its  reception is because I want more of the same take on them. I want to see Snyder's full vision fully realized in JL but that's far from assured now that BvS dissapointed (but didn't flop)financially and critically.

I guess what I'm saying is that I just want it to do well so I can get more it without the studio messing with it too much,  simple.

Edited by Arlborn

3 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

The best is very subjective because everyone has individual tastes. But, if you're trying to make a blockbuster, then you want to appeal to the most people. So you want to have the McDonalds burger (or more accurately the Five Guys burger b/c you want the prestige along with mass appeal). If you're in the business of blockbusters that is.

There are 6 major movie studios today and all 6 are playing the blockbuster game. Therefore, they need to make movies where the most people will say that they're the best movies. Especially today where movie attendance is down, but people show up in mass for event movies. You're obviously entitled to dismiss them as not your cup tea too.

Marvel's sausage-making factory is second to none. Now that they have tremendous clout, I'd love it if they occasionally tried to make a premium steak. (Mixing metaphors badly).

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It sucks to be a DC fan.

why would it suck? they got the TDK, arguably the best superhero film of all time in the (by far) best superhero trilogy of all time. It's a free pass for a lifetime.

Edited by Goffe

35 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

But why should I -- as an audience member -- care whether they're hard to produce or not, or what expectations the company holds?

I'm not expecting them to hit some crazy level of difficult production... but when top-flight television has more style and visual coherence than your average Marvel movie (or, admittedly, most tentpoles these days), that says a lot. Again, IMO.

What works on TV wouldn't necessarily sustain a multi billion dollar franchise.

I'm sure if Netfix Daredevil's storytelling could make 500 m WW, Marvel would exploit that fact.

They don't avoid doing so because they're lazy. It's that the business strategy isn't as effective as their current, highly successful one.

You should care about what's pragmatic for the studio because then you wouldn't feel cheated by mass entertainment.

Just now, Goffe said:

why would it suck? they got the TDK, arguably the best superhero film of all time in the (by far) best superhero trilogy of all time. It's a free pass for a lifetime.

It goes without saying that a TDK (or BB and TDKR) would have never happened in the MCU.

I think they're talking strictly from a DCCU positioning standpoint. Do we need to be reminded that Green Lantern was supposed to be their Iron Man and it's flopping made them start over from scratch?

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Your immediate future is looking grim.

You can only watch Talia Al Ghul die or the Joker sporting a nurse dress so many times.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think they're talking strictly from a DCCU positioning standpoint. Do we need to be reminded that Green Lantern was supposed to be their Iron Man and it's flopping made them start over from scratch?

me and grey ghost were talking about playing safe vs risking more

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

What works on TV wouldn't necessarily sustain a multi billion dollar franchise.

I'm only bringing up TV to make a point about visual style; specifically, that even with the constraint of working with 7-8 day windows to get things done, a very clear, conscious style with specific intent in each shot is possible. The fact that most tentpoles don't have much -- if any -- of this is disheartening.

I wasn't intending to make a direct comparison between TV/movie franchises at all.

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Marvel's sausage-making factory is second to none. Now that they have tremendous clout, I'd love it if they occasionally tried to make a premium steak. (Mixing metaphors badly).

What does a premium steak Ant-Man movie look like?

How about a premium steak Iron Man origin story or premium steak Winter Soldier story arc?