Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Personally, I think the most interesting and complex things in the entire comic book universe is X-Men. They have the best characters (Magneto is, by far, the best comic book character ever), the best arcs (Apocalypse, The Dark Phoenix), the best combo between action and philosophy. Disney Marvel atm is too lite, DC focuses too much on Batman which, honestly, is a boring ass character and Spidey is fine in small dosage only. 

Edited by James
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

As much as Feige and fans might want X-Men in the MCU, I personally think they work fine on their own universe. The Fantastic Four which I think Fox would be more willing to give up the rights would be a better fit in the MCU

With any luck in another 4+years the FF film rights will revert back to Marvel and Feige can think of how best to fold them into the MCU for Phase 5.

I think Phase 4 is a bit too soon. Still plenty they can mine.

Dr.Strange 2

GotG 3

Ant-Man 3

Black Panther 2

Captain Marvel 2

Inhumans

Avengers 5

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I never said it was easy, just that Marvel's chosen to go a very bland route, IMO. Nothing wrong with that, of course, and I understand some may feel differently than me.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Marvel Studio's formula.

Critics like it, fanboys like it, general movie goers like it.

All the people you want these characters to appeal to.

Edgier, riskier, darker, more niche doesn't equal better storytelling.

Look at FF (2015), TASM, and BvS.

If Marvel took those type of "artistic" chances, there would be no phase 3.

Safe doesn't mean bad. Marvel fans and supporters are very happy with the MCU library. And really that's the difference between a successful cinematic universe and all the wannabes.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I too enjoyed: Superman 3, Superman 4, Supergirl, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Steel, Catwoman, Constantine, Superman Returns, Jonah Hex, and Green Lantern.

Hey, don't dump Constantine in the middle of all that rubbish, I love that ridiculously cool(and silly) movie to death; It's just so much stupid fun!

Plus that Lucifer is awesome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Eh, no highs, no lows. It's the movie equivalent of TV in the background.

I would honestly like to know what your ideal Ant-Man, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor movie would look like.

And if they would have enough mass appeal to earn sequels.

Maybe these characters aren't really intended for you and no popular take on them would satisfy you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I am pretty sure Marvel took the Pixar approach. where it is a whole team making a movie. Not just a director/writer. 

Some Pixar movies are the vision of one person, The Incredibles for example, and people could argue that most of the Pixar directors themselves are "auteurs" in a way, so no, I wouldn't say it's the exact same thing. 

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Some Pixar movies are the vision of one person, The Incredibles for example, and people could argue that most of the Pixar directors themselves are "auteurs" in a way, so no, I wouldn't say it's the exact same thing. 

Inside Out was Pete Docter's idea and his films are the most consistent, it's the one with troubled development like Brave and TGD that tend to have issues. Cars I think since John Lasseter's baby, there is no one who doesn't say no. I suspect it's the reason why their budgets have ballooned. Marvel Studios aside from Avengers have kept budgets below $200m.

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I would honestly like to know what your ideal Ant-Man, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor movie would look like.

And if they would have enough mass appeal to earn sequels.

Maybe these characters aren't really intended for you and no popular take on them would satisfy you.

Tele really isn't a CBM person.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Safe doesn't mean bad.

it's doesn't mean good either. 

If Marvel took those type of "artistic" chances, there would be no phase 3.

but at least they would have tried?

I admire BvS a lot for thinking out of the box, despite me not liking the film very much. Well, except for that third act.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Hey now.. Howard the Duck RULED.. As a matter of fact, WB/DC wish they had their own Howard the Duck to Capitalize on, unless you count BvsS, which is there version of Howard the Duck I suppose???

officehappygasp.gif

It also has better music then most recent superhero films. 

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Maybe Marvel can learn to tell a compelling story and hire a good cinematography.

Here is a pro for both DC and Marvel Elfman's batman and Spider-Man score. The two best superhero scores.  

I love Williams work on Superman, but honestly I think after listening to more superhero scores from the 80's and 90's, I'm starting to find Elfman's work on Batman to be a bit overrated in a way. It's great, but there's just as much as any good / great superhero scores out there from more obscure properties, that I think are just as good, that anytime someone says that Elfman's Batman theme is the last memorable superhero theme ever, I just wanna collectively shrug my head.  

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There's nothing to find fault in Marvel's business strategy, certainly. It's worked very well for them.

And it's certainly possible that "no popular take on them" would make me happy... but I doubt it. I (just) want movies that really make me feel, that are stylish, well-directed, tautly made, with real danger and consequences for its characters. Some of Marvel's movies have done some of those things, but they've never really come together into a single package in a single movie (for me, anyway). None of them I've felt compelled to re-watch (let alone excited to do so). IRON MAN gets awfully saggy and flat in its third act. CA1 turns into a giant montage. GOTG is a fun romp with a bunch of space opera tropes, but it also falls apart by the last act. AVENGERS is lots of fun when it's bringing the characters together, and awfully creaky when it's trying to massage everything together in between the action scenes.

The one area where I'm pretty sure I stand apart from the popular take, admittedly, is that a little cinematic universe goes a long way for me. Half of these movies feel like easter eggs for future movies, and I understand that excites fans a lot, but it has the opposite effect on me.

On the flip side, DC swings wildly between highs and lows. If it's Burton and Nolan, those are the highs for me. The Donner Supermans are nice, everything else is a mess (some of them entertaining, some not).

• Like 4