Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Affleck should give WB an ultimatum: Either dump Zack Snyder and let him make the JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie, along with the Solo BATMAN movie or basically, take your franchise and shove it up your ass and walk away..

totes, I'm sure he's going to go to WB, a month into shooting, and demand a new director, of whom the cast loves.

34 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Look, you can mock this all you want wit the sarcasm, but I find it a little hard to believe that WB would be stupid enough to continue on with this guy while their fucking Star clearly has issues with him, along with the fanbase and that's no secret.. Why make the same mistakes AGAIN that they did here with BvsS??? See?? If Nolan had made this and Bale was smart enough to take the RDJ type of deal as BATMAN, we wouldn't even be having this conversation now would we???

The way to get a good superhero movie out of Snyder, is have someone write a fantastic comic novella then have Snyder shoot exactly that. His original ideas suck, but he does a decent job of putting someone else's original idea on screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

Literally nowhere in there does it say he has an issue with Snyder.

So if you worked in a film and felt humiliated  by its reviews and reception, it would have no effect with your relationship with the person who made the film? 

:sadben:

• Like 1

A certain movie has a RT score three times higher than another. 90 vs 27. That movie will also out gross the other by 500 million or more WW. This mystery movie seems like the better one to me.

Edited by lancelot123
  • Like 3

I don't think Affleck has an issue with Snyder on a personal level but probably on a competency level which he most likely won't tell Snyder out of respect for him having praised his work throughout the years for MoS and the process of making BvS as evidenced a quite a number of interviews from Affleck. That being said not telling someone that they need to improve on something in order to not hurt their feelings is the absolute worst thing you can do for that person and I hope Affleck being producer can actually help Snyder in some ways and he is willing to actually take advice. To me Snyder comes across as very arrogant and egotistical in some of his interviews so I very highly doubt he'll take advice from another director as these types of people don't believe what they are doing is wrong. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Biph Shmata said:

The way to get a good superhero movie out of Snyder, is have someone write a fantastic comic novella then have Snyder shoot exactly that. His original ideas suck, but he does a decent job of putting someone else's original idea on screen.

I agree with this.  His take on Watchmen was spot on. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Biph Shmata said:

I hate to admit it since I'm a huge Watchmen fanboy...but you may be right.

33 minutes ago, langer said:

I agree with this.  His take on Watchmen was spot on. 

I don't agree. Comics and film are different mediums and require different approaches, both in storytelling and direction. And I think Snyder's Watchmen is a good example of that. His take on Watchmen was very faithful to the letter of the story, but it largely misses the spirit (although the C&P job allows it to pretend to). The increased fetishisation of the action/sex scenes are good examples as to why, but the biggest example is his unwillingness to really change anything to help translate the story into a different medium. Like I said above, comics and film are different mediums and require different approaches. Snyder C&P's not only the writing from Watchmen but also a lot of the panelling, ignoring that those were designed for a comic book, not a film. Film requires different touches and techniques to work. By copying and pasting the comic, sure you might catch some glimmers of what made said comic so great, but you also lose quite a lot, whether you notice or not. 

Not to mention, the only major change they really did make, only showed even more how Snyder didn't really understand the original comic. Sure, the change to making Dr Manhattan the scapegoat in the finale, compared to the squid alien in the original, works on paper to simplify the storytelling and I've heard a lot of people claim they prefer it because of that. But those people miss exactly why the squid alien works in Watchmen, the comic, because they ignore the context and spirit of the work. Specifically, it's a commentary on Superhero comics, or at least, Superhero comics when Alan Moore was writing it. Characters like Dr Manhattan and Rorschach are twisted reflections of other superheroes at the time. And, in that context, one of the most common foes in those old superhero comics were strange-looking and bizarre aliens. Just as the heroes in Watchmen are twisted reflections of other superheroes, so too is the squid alien a twisted reflection of those sorts of alien storylines. It has meaning in the overall structure and themes of the story. Now, not to say that a Watchmen movie needed to include the squid alien. But replacing it with just 'Ozy framing Dr Manhattan' sucks out a lot of the spirit and replaces it with an idea that doesn't really have much deeper meaning, instead just being something sounds better + simpler on paper. 

To be perfectly honest, if there's one thing I have to say about Zack Snyder's approach to comic books is that I genuinely do think he loves them. But I really don't think he understands them. He doesn't understand what makes a good comic book tick or any of the deeper meanings or story structure or characterisation at work. He just reads them, enjoys them, thinks 'that would make a good movie' and that scratches his head at why shoving these things blindly into a film narrative doesn't seem to work as well. If he wants to make a good comic book movie, he really needs to team up with somebody who genuinely gets these stories and can help him construct a satisfying narrative around them.

(On a tangental note, I'm kinda annoyed Watchmen (the film) got made. Or, specifically, that it got made in 2009. How much better would it have been if we got an adaptation of Watchmen in, say, 5-10 years that was a direct commentary on the CBM as a genre? With all the Cinematic Universe stuff and grim and grittyness/light-hearted jokiness and everything else that makes these movies? Wouldn't that have been interesting to see? As it is, I think Watchmen got made far too early in the lifespan of the CBM as a genre. There's a reason Deadpool got so much acclaim and that's because it came out when it was most relevant. Given more time, a dark deconstruction of superhero movies would only become more interesting. But, then again, Snyder ruining potentially interesting stories in his CBM's is nothing really new.)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Solo batman movie intro new characters was much better option then batman vs superman 

Honestly, I'd much prefer if they had more solo movies, and tried their hands at other heroes first, but I have a feeling they made Batman Vs. Superman, just to reinforce the fact that Batman is the only character they seem to understand, and even then they failed at that. 

• Like 2