Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Thousands of people will lose jobs and diversity in the film industry will be limited even further but it's all fine because we get to see an even more ambitious crossover event

And what will decrying it again and again on a BO forum achieve? Fox decided to sell and Disney decided to buy. There was nothing you or I could have done then and nothing we could do now. 

Ofcourse you could start boycotting Fox/Disney movies, stop giving them your money, start a petition, file a lawsuit. But we know how effective these things really are. So what are we to do other than discuss its effect on things we like or dislike?

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

THe Emperor of France

They voted on the general framework  for a merger, a lot of the details need to be worked out.

Finalizizin a deal this big is really expensive in and of itself;the legal costs alone will be huge. So big that both companies don't want to spend money  on it until they know the deal is going to happen.

A

I know that, which is why I said the deal will close sometime in 2019. But this is the final piece to fall in place. Generally it would be the regulatory approval to be the last impediment but in this case we already know that its not gonna be an issue

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

And what will decrying it again and again on a BO forum achieve? Fox decided to sell and Disney decided to buy. There was nothing you or I could have done then and nothing we could do now. 

The same could be said in response to people celebrating.  What will celebrating it do?  Celebrating the loss of thousands of jobs?  I just find it ridiculous how often people seem to overlook the larger implications of the merger like this, but I suppose in this era of fanboy culture it's to be expected.

I'm not gonna boycott them for the record because I'm a Hollywood shill and I see like everything anyway.  I just find it disheartening.

• Like 4

worst part of the merger isn't the loss of jobs and ruined lives but that people will credit Jim's talent and genius to Disney when they're literally just signing a check

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

I predict more mergers like this will happen in the near future, companies whose goals strategically align with other companies will eventually merge together as they probably won't survive by themselves in this industry with heavy competition from the much bigger companies and brands. The giant tech companies are going to be next, FB, Twitter, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Samsung etc...

1 hour ago, LaughingEvans said:

yeah, but imagine if there is a fallout between them and they end up giving the project to Ron Howard, or , may god forgive me for saying that name, Brett Ratner?

Disney probably can't do that ;pretty sure whatever deal Cameron signed with Fox gives him control of the Avatar Franchise with Fox only finiacing and releasing. And whatever contracts Cameron has with Fox automatically transfer over to Disney. That is business law 1A:when you acquire a company you also take on whatever legal obligations that company has.

And Disney,though they make mistakes, is not stupid;as long as the Avatar films make huge jack they will leave Cameron alone. And, frankly, in terms o f style Cameron is very much Disney's kind of director.

I am no Cameron fanboy, and thought that Avatar was one of Cameron's weakest films,but Disney will probably leave him alone.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Disney probably can't do that ;pretty sure whatever deal Cameron signed with Fox gives him control of the Avatar Franchise with Fox only finiacing and releasing. And whatever contracts Cameron has with Fox automatically transfer over to Disney. That is business law 1A:when you acquire a company you also take on whatever legal obligations that company has.

And Disney,though they make mistakes, is not stupid;as long as the Avatar films make huge jack they will leave Cameron alone. And, frankly, in terms o f style Cameron is very much Disney's kind of director.

I am no Cameron fanboy, and thought that Avatar was one of Cameron's weakest films,but Disney will probably leave him alone.

dudalb! well said

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The same could be said in response to people celebrating.  What will celebrating it do?  Celebrating the loss of thousands of jobs?  I just find it ridiculous how often people seem to overlook the larger implications of the merger like this, but I suppose in this era of fanboy culture it's to be expected.

I'm not gonna boycott them for the record because I'm a Hollywood shill and I see like everything anyway.  I just find it disheartening.

The jobs would have been lost if the deal had been made with Comcast or any other company. I don't like to see anybody lose their job but that is the way that world works.

Unless you want to go on a Anti Capitalist rant. Good luck with that. The alternative ...government managing the economy...has been tried and has always turned out to be a disaster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Thats being plain disingenuous. One can both be sad about the loss of job and yet be happy about another aspect of the deal. They are not mutually exclusive. 

As I said, this was inevitable. If not Disney, then Comcast would have overtaken. There was nothing that any of us could have done or do to stop it. So in such a scenario I fail to see why some are indignant if someone else finds one part of the merger appealing to them while keeping the bad part of the merger in mind?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Thousands of people will lose jobs and diversity in the film industry will be limited even further but it's all fine because we get to see an even more ambitious crossover event

Hundreds of millions of people will get high quality movies they greatly enjoy that would not otherwise be possible. I get that there are some negative impacts as well, but please don’t try to pretend that is some small thing just because it’s not your personal cup of tea.

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Hundreds of millions of people will get high quality movies they greatly enjoy that would not otherwise be possible.

What in the ever-loving fuck?  Entertainment is not a necessity.  You know what is a necessity?  Making a living for yourself and earning money so you can have a roof over your head.  Holy false equivalency.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Hundreds of millions of people will get high quality movies they greatly enjoy that would not otherwise be possible. I get that there are some negative impacts as well, but please don’t try to pretend that is some small thing just because it’s not your personal cup of tea.

Jobs are kinda more important and more impactful than a children's movie bro.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

What in the ever-loving fuck?  Entertainment is not a necessity.  You know what is a necessity?  Making a living for yourself and earning money so you can have a roof over your head.  Holy false equivalency.

And How exactly would you guarantee full employment and total job security?

Escapism is more important than ever in this mundane modern lifestyle we live, soul crushing office jobs making money for what end?

That said I think that movies will still be there with or without the merger.

It’s manifestly obvious that there is some fungability between jobs and enjoyable movies as far as net impact on the world. Trading 1 job for a movie that billions enjoy is an absolutely spectacular deal for instance, obviously worth it overall. Trading millions of jobs for a movie that millions enjoy is obviously a bad deal, since jobs are indeed much more valuable than watching  a fun movie on a 1:1 basis. How does 5,000 jobs:5,000,000,000 movie enjoyment experiences measure up? Well, I don’t know for sure, but it’s certainly not as obvious as you two seem to be making it out.            

What is clear is that a merger which loses X jobs and gives a bunch more characters to the MCU>>>>> a merger that loses about as many jobs without that benefit. Now maybe you’d rather live in a utopia where nobody ever lost jobs to mergers, but that isn’t really on the table.

Edited by Thanos Legion

And ,Goddamit, the mods did it again. Someone tried to start thread about the deal and they deleted it. What the hell is up with the mods?

This is a very big deal and people on a movie box office forum will want to talk about it. Get real,guys.

Just now, dudalb said:

And ,Goddamit, the mods did it again. Someone tried to start thread about the deal and they deleted it. What the hell is up with the mods?

This is a very big deal and people on a movie box office forum will want to talk about it. Get real,guys.

Because there's a topic for it already

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And How exactly would you guarantee full employment and total job security?

I'm not saying I'm gonna fix this, because I can't.  I just don't like that people are celebrating it because they see their favorite superhero characters in a film while ignoring multiple other aspects of the deal.  It feels wrong to me to celebrate this deal when thousands of jobs are gonna be lost.  Get your head out of your ass and actually read what I'm saying.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Haha 1