Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s manifestly obvious that there is some fungability between jobs and enjoyable movies as far as net impact on the world. Trading 1 job for a movie that billions enjoy is an absolutely spectacular deal for instance, obviously worth it overall. Trading millions of jobs for a movie that millions enjoy is obviously a bad deal, since jobs are indeed much more valuable than watching  a fun movie on a 1:1 basis. How does 5,000 jobs:5,000,000,000 movie enjoyment experiences measure up? Well, I don’t know for sure, but it’s certainly not as obvious as you two seem to be making it out.            

What is clear is that a merger which loses X jobs and gives a bunch more characters to the MCU>>>>> a merger that loses about as many jobs without that benefit. Now maybe you’d rather live in a utopia where nobody ever lost jobs to mergers, but that isn’t really on the table.

I agree with Thanos Legion that happiness is more important than jobs! These are skilled workers aswell so it's not as if they will fucked, it's easy for smart people to get a jobs even if it's min wage.

That said I'm going to throw the Jimbo special curveball.

More capefilms is an unhappy scenario for everyone including capefans (they just don't realise it)

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm not saying I'm gonna fix this, because I can't.  I just don't like that people are celebrating it because they see their favorite superhero characters in a film while ignoring multiple other aspects of the deal.  It feels wrong to me to celebrate this deal when thousands of jobs are gonna be lost.  Get your head out of your ass and actually read what I'm saying.

Transalation : DISNEY SUCKS!

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I agree with Thanos Legion that happiness is more important than jobs! These are skilled workers aswell so it's not as if they will fucked, it's easy for smart people to get jobs.

That said I'm going through the Jimbo special curveball.

More Capefilms is an unhappy scenario for everyone including capefans (they just don't realise it)

Ahh, but you see Jimbo, there aren’t *more* capefilms now. There might even be *less* — Marvel Studios probably can’t release as many movies a year as Marvel+Fox Marvel has been. It’s just that there are fewer universes now and a more consistent quality.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Ahh, but you see Jimbo, there aren’t *more* capefilms now. There might even be *less* — Marvel Studios probably can’t release as many movies a year as Marvel+Fox Marvel has been. It’s just that there are fewer universes now and a more consistent quality.

I've changed my mind I'm a huge fan of this merger, a few sacrifices for the just cause. They will be remembered.

• Haha 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

I would be complaining about this deal too if Comcast bought it.  Once again: head, remove from ass.

So you would make Newhouse Corporation (the mother company for Fox) hold on to Fox Studios even if they felt it was in their best interests to sell it?

You really don't have any idea of economics, do you?

I smell a LOT of posturing in this thread:saying crap just because you think it makes you look cool to do so. It's bad enough with the usual fan stuff but with more serious issues it becomes intolerable.

And god, in defending Newhouse's right to sell off Fox Studios if they think that is in their long term best interest (which,btw,would save jobs in the long run) you are making me in a way defend Rupert Murdoch, a man I truly hate and despise...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

So you would make Newhouse Corporation (the mother company for Fox) hold on to Fox Studios even if they felt it was in their best interests to sell it?

I smell a LOT of posturing in this thread:saying crap just because you think it makes you look cool to do so. It's bad enough with the usual fan stuff but with more serious issues it becomes intolerable.

And god, in defending Newhouse's right to sell off Fox Studios if they think that is in their long term best interest (which,btw,would save jobs in the long run) you are making me in a way defend Rupert Murdoch, a man I truly hate and despise...

These kids will .learn the hard way when the get out of college and face the real world. They would quickly realize that things aren't so black and white regarding this issue of job losses. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

And he forgets at one time James Cameron was heavily involved in a Cape film...he really, really wanted to do a Spider Man movie.

You know, Jimbo the problem a lot of people have for you is not so much your over the top worship of Cameron..as silly as that gets at time...but that you run down just about everything you think poses a threat to Cameron.

For the record, I think Cameron and Disney will get along just fine,Cameron is Disney's kind of filmmaker.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DMan7 said:

These kids will .learn the hard way when the get out of college and face the real world. They would quickly realize that things aren't so black and white regarding this issue of job losses. 

I also suspect a lot of them probsably flunked or got a D in their Exonomics 1A class in college...

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

How fucking daft are you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

It’s pathetic to see people celebrating the merger because they get to see their favorite funny book character in their preferred funny back universe, yet not even taking a second glance or considering the larger implications of it.  Have fun with getting to see Magneto in Avengers or whatever.

It's a tragedy. Imagine a paralel world without 20th Century Fox. We might have never gotten movies like Alien or Predator, or even Star Wars...

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I would be complaining about this deal too if Comcast bought it.  Once again: head, remove from ass.

Fox was selling - someone was going to buy and jobs were unfortunately going to be lost.  If you want to blame a corporation then blame Fox.  This wasn't a hostile takeover.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I also suspect a lot of them probsably flunked or got a D in their Exonomics 1A class in college...

I don't think it has anything to do with them not knowing Economics but letting their emotions lead their talking points on this matter. At the end of the day these job losses are going to happen one way another regardless of how we feel about it, it's the reality of big business and the natural evolution of our economy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Fox was selling - someone was going to buy and jobs were unfortunately going to be loss.  If you want to blame a corporation then blame Fox.  This wasn't a hostile takeover.

This!!!

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One can be angry or sad about a thing even if they cannot change the thing or its outcome. 

Death is inevitable and everyone knows that but still it cannot stop a person feeling sad at a close someones death. 

Similarly a person can know about economics, know that there is nothing that can be done about it, knows that it is unavoidable and still be sad about certain implications of it. 

5 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with them not knowing Economics but letting their emotions lead their talking points on this matter. At the end of the day these job losses are going to happen one way another regardless of how we feel about it, it's the reality of big business and the natural evolution of our economy.

And, as Tele could tell you, the film business has always been very unstable, more so then most businesses. It has always had a huge job  turnover rate,goinb back to the silent days. If Job Security is your main concern, choose another area of work.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Fox was selling - someone was going to buy and jobs were unfortunately going to be lost.  If you want to blame a corporation then blame Fox.  This wasn't a hostile takeover.

I'm still upset about the loss of one of the original studios.  I'm against this from the start, but there are studios that I think would be worse if they were acquired than other studios.  Disney and Comcast are definitely towards the top of the list in terms of least favorable companies to buy Fox.  They're already huge megacorps, which is why them being bought by a powerful studio like Disney stings so much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And, as Tele could tell you, the film business has always been very unstable, more so then most businesses. It high always had a hugejob  turnover rate,goinb back to the silent days. If Job Security is your main concern, choose another area of work.

As Tele has told me in the Telegram chat, he thinks the deal is horrible and says people supporting it is one of the main reasons he left.

• Sad 1