grim22

Weekend Estimates: Bond 35.4M, Peanuts 24.2M, Coopers 8.4M, Martian 6.7M, 33 5.8M

3 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

Thing is, Peanuts wasn't designed to be a 'sleeper' hit. It was clearly developed and promoted by FOX to be a big, mainstream holiday smash-hit movie. This was a holiday tent-pole for them, and something they hope will start a franchise.

As I said before, it struck me as disjointed. Kind of like that 2003 WB movie "Looney Tunes Back in Action" that was meant to boot up a Looney Tunes franchise. They needed to hire someone from Pixar to write a story  for the film. 

I don't how many viewers that Holiday Special draw annually but modern day audience who are used to seeing Dreamworks & Pixar & now Marvel stuff are not just as well acquainted to Snoopy & the Gang. Hence, sleeper hit status. The movie is just too gentle for a whole generation of audience who used to the comedic aggressiveness of modern day animation. 

A lot of the older animated characters like Charlie Brown and the Looney Tunes aren't really designed for movie style scripts as they don't really evolve as characters, they barely managed with the Looney Tunes with Space Jam. Something like Scooby Doo for example can work because the formula can be expanded for longer than 22 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Is the billion still dead. At 543m now. Hopefully we'll have another 160m from China/USA. That would put it at 700. 300m from the rest of the OS-markets? Too optimistic?

I dunno....if Spectre gets to $200M DOM....it could maybe raise it's chances. But we may never know exactly. Let's just see.

6 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Is the billion still dead. At 543m now. Hopefully we'll have another 160m from China/USA. That would put it at 700. 300m from the rest of the OS-markets? Too optimistic?

Its not getting another 160M from China/USA, around 120M at best from both combined. Will probably flirt with 900M.

Surprisingly good hold for Spectre. Even though the Sunday number is unlikely to be that strong when actuals are released, it's still going to hold better than Skyfall, and much better than Quantum of Solace. It's still disappointing relative to pre-release expectations, but crossing the $200 million milestone domestically remains a possibility.

The Peanuts Movie's hold is baffling. Given the history of excellent holds for family films in the first two weekends of November and the warm reception that the film is enjoying, I wasn't expecting a drop higher than 35%, let alone 45%. Things won't get any easier with The Good Dinosaur set to launch over Thanksgiving weekend, but it should still be able to close near $130 million.

Love the Coopers did okay, all things considered. With the horrendously low depths to which unappealing adult-aimed films have sunk in the last several months, it could have bowed much, much worse.

The Martian is still holding quite admirably. 

The 33 opened rather quietly, as expected. I suppose that there may have been potential for a feel-good dramatization of this subject, but this particular film never seemed close to realizing it in its ad campaign. It just looked like a small film that was all too easy to forget.

Spotlight had a great weekend. It should do very well when it goes significantly wider next weekend.

Looks like Universal made the right call with sweeping By the Sea under the rug. Even with the film's largely invisible advertising, it's disastrous to see a film with this much star wattage pull in under $100,000 in ten locations.

17 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Looks like Universal made the right call with sweeping By the Sea under the rug. Even with the film's largely invisible advertising, it's disastrous to see a film with this much star wattage pull in under $100,000 in ten locations.

The trailers didn't help, made it seem like a complete vanity project that wasn't remotely mainstream, months ago. I guess they knew there was no point in trying to bait and switch audiences by selling it as a typical romantic drama/thriller.

30 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah a billion is dead. Mainly due to domestic drop. Kind of similar to what happened with Hobbit 2 where domestic drop killed its billon chance 

If for any reason, the billion does ends up being dead, its not just down to the US numbers: I'd mostly put that on the strong dollar. In recent times, the US was never really the centre of the universe, as far as Bond was concerned. Overseas was more than 800 Mill for Skyfall and with the dollar index being up a good 25% from 2012, that translates to a roughly 200 Mill 'shortfall'. 

China can maybe give a bit of a boost, but with a possible 80 mill less from the US coupled with the -ve impact of a strong dollar, it may 'just about' hit the Billion mark.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I dunno....people still love Vin Diesel as Dominic Toretto. They still like his character. That could be a huge draw to an extent.

Granted FF7 had things going for that to hit $352M DOM, (Paul Walker's final film) which the next one won't have. But the 8th film could still be huge with $265-290M DOM. The FF-series are still popular.

If FF8 does Fast 6 numbers again domestically thats 10000000% normal and expected, nothing to be shocked about or warrant a WWW thread. 

• Like 1