WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

10 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Has there ever been a movie with a bad screening that did very well at the box office?

Honest question.

Se7en. The test-audience reaction was so bad the studio tried to force a different ending. The movie stayed the same and became a huge hit anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Shit numbers, shit weekend. Save us JJ.

More like Pixar and Rocky :P 

Both of those should do well over $100 million combined for the 5 day... plus MJ2 doing $50 million+ for the 5 day, Spectre and Peanuts holding over, Spotlight expanding even more. Thanksgiving won't be bad and Krampus could potentially do $20-25 million on A usually dead weekend. 

I am ready for a $230-270 million OW though... 

7 hours ago, Filmovie said:

This year is just bad.

Few big hits and many many flop/disappointments

Few big hits?  There have been a LOT. of big hits.  Just not many medium sized hits.

Edited by The Panda

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Really disappointing. And 3D is apparently turning off A LOT of viewers for this franchise.

3D is OS only, tho. The Hunger Games isn't the type of franchise for 3D. I remember reading the 3D shows of Maze Runner 2 were doing very poorly as well in the European markets that got it in the format. 

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Disappointing. However, this franchise has always played strongly over thanksgiving. After CF was released, I'm pretty sure the assumption was that, even with a huge opening, it wouldn't top THG because that had unusually good legs for a 150m opener and CF would be more frontloaded. But it did. And many thought MJ1 would struggle for 300m, but it made almost 340m. 

Anyway, I expect MJ2 to play well over the next few weeks just like the last two and pass 300m. Meh compared to the rest, but still, that's four consecutive films above 300m. No other franchise has achieved that. 

I rushed out to see CF and MJ1. I haven't for MJ2, I don't feel the need to (probably because of a weak marketing campaign). But I will see it next week. 

Technically,

LOTR achieved it if you count the first Hobbit.

Star Wars achieved it (ROTJ, Menace, Clones, and Sith)

And if you count Avengers, Iron Man achieved it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I recently watched the Gods of Egypt trailer.

Lionsgate is fucked now that THG is finished.

I remember the talk of them becoming a major studio around Catching Fire.  That isn't too likely now.

• Like 1