Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

I hope we have a real battle between The Master and DU leading up to the Oscars. I'm thinking Django wins the Globes, and (hopefully) The Master wins the Oscar. I'm just hoping The Master lives up to expectations (which is highly likely), so people can't bitch that it's just a "due" Oscar. Same goes for Django I guess.

No clue where my last post for my predicts are...so here as fo today:The Hobbit Part 1Flight (Just a hunch here)Les MiserbelesLife of PiLincolnThe MasterMoonrise Kingdom (at least one pre Fall release, picking this film for now)Trouble with the CurveThat is 8...possibly Django. No TDKR and Avengers wont make it. (Wish they could, but whatever)

Terrence Malick strikes again with his insane editing habits completely eliminating major actors/actresses' filmed parts from his movies. His latest victims for To the Wonder:Rachel WeiszMichael SheenAmanda PeetJessica Chastainhttp://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/rachel-weisz-reveals-she-cut-terrence-malick-next-190402775.htmlThis is one of Malick's infamous traits, most famously associated with what happened to The Thin Red Line.

Malick's To The Wonder sounds as divisive as ever.

Applause was hearty in my section of the Sala Darsena, but people I ran into outside were struggling with the almost all-voice-over competition entry that is “the least narrative” of Malick’s movies.

Malick’s last picture, Tree Of Life, certainly had its fans and detractors, but people I spoke to today felt that film had “more of a story” and “real characters.”

Olga Kurylenko is Wonder‘s central character who sets the scene talking about love in voice over as she and Affleck wander through Paris and on to Mont St. Michel – the “Wonder” of the title. But the voice over isn’t used solely to set the scene, it’s almost the only dialogue device Malick uses throughout. Javier Bardem plays a disillusioned priest in the Midwest town where Kurylenko and Affleck’s characters set up house. A house that never has a lot of furniture, but a fair bit of frolicking and fighting. McAdams is a woman struggling after the loss of a child with whom Affleck takes up briefly. The storylines of the four characters are only vaguely intertwined. The film often employs circles and moving objects spinning in rounds – including ferris wheels and a rollercoaster – for symbolism. But, after the screening, people were talking about the constant twirling that Kurylenko’s character engages in. She almost never stops moving – leading folks to wonder if she wasn’t dizzy for half the shoot.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/venice-ben-affleck-has-almost-no-lines-in-terrence-malicks-divisive-to-the-wonder/

Malick doesn't tell stories Dex, he tells "philosophies and visual arts." His most recent films have almost nothing in the way of story, they're all frames for the philosophical meandering he wants to express.As for entertainment...yeah, you don't watch Malick films to be entertained, because the actual entertainment value of his films approaches zero. A person watches those films for their technological ability and aesthetic quality.