Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Avatar came in 2nd with no screenplay nomination, or no actors nominated? The only big award it won was a Golden Globe. Avatar was not in 2nd.

*cough*It's Cameron*cough* And I'm not sure if Avatar was second or not. There's an argument for both sides that are quite strong.

Anyone who followed the Oscars 2009-10 would know that Avatar was second.As for ZDT, it would appear that it's cold and cerebral qualities are perfectly suited to the critics but not so much the Academy. So while I think it is a top 5 contender, I don't think it will win.

Edited by pieman
  • Like 1

Avatar was pretty obviously second. If they redid the race today, IB would probably be second and Avatar might not even be nominated, but the state of the race as it happened was such that I really, really cannot see any movie other than Avatar having placed second.

Avatar was pretty obviously second. If they redid the race today, IB would probably be second and Avatar might not even be nominated, but the state of the race as it happened was such that I really, really cannot see any movie other than Avatar having placed second.

Avatar would definitely be nominated, with a field of 10 nominees. The BO allure is too big for a 10 field to ignore.

WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP WITH TSN AND ZDT COMPARISSONS???????????? Nobody among AMPAS cares for Facebook. Nobody. OK? get that into your heads. They had the obligation to nominate TSN because of reviews but nobody trully cares for the subject matter to be fully engaged in business of those obnoxious hipsters. OTOH, they care for politcs and terrorism and that kind of shit so ZDT rings much closer to home than hipster shit. They awarded THL because Iraq means something to them. Facebook doesn`t. It isn`t just oh, they love emotional movies. If they love them so much and always why did THL win? Cold movie if there was ever one. But it`s thematically interesting to them at least enough to consider it important. Facebook ain`t that. Bin laden, especially in the year where President who took him down won again, is the shit. ZDT can happen and can happen big. There.

TSN losing was about more than Academy members not "getting" Facebook. It was also about facing a Weinstein-backed crowd-pleaser. Remember 1998? Or 2002? I'd say the best thing Sony has going for it this year is that Harvey isn't behind Les Mis.The Hurt Locker wasn't up against a King's Speech. (No, Avatar doesn't count.) You're saying Hurt Locker wasn't a film that elicited emotions, and that's completely wrong. Can ZDT win? Absolutely. I'm not suggesting it can't or won't. What I was trying to point out is Sony was in a very similar position two years ago. Of course, that doesn't mean the end result will be the same, but its success right now with critics doesn't guarantee anything in February. It's still the first week of December. Long way to go. Edited by RichWS

I'd agree, I was just emphasizing the fact that Avatar's acclaim then was much larger than what it is now.

Yes it was. The same people on the Internet who praised it to high heaven on December 18 have now turned on it because of what it became. There has been a huge backlash due to it's success.I also don't believe that The King's Speech winning was the work of Weinstein spin. The Academy were not manipulated into liking The King's Speech more than The Social Network; they simply enjoyed it more and they could relate to it more. Edited by pieman

I also don't believe that The King's Speech winning was the work of Weinstein spin. The Academy were not manipulated into liking The King's Speech more than The Social Network; they simply enjoyed it more and they could relate to it more.

It won because of both. You don't think campaigning plays a role in winning?

Zero Dark Thirty has great chances, but I'm pretty sure that no director has won twice within five years, let alone three. Can Bigelow set yet another record here?

Lewis Milestone- 1928 (There was Drama Direction and Comedy Direction this year), 1930

Frank Borzage- 1928 (There was Drama Direction and Comedy Direction this year), 1932

Frank Lloyd- 1929, 1933

Frank Capra- 1934, 1936, 1938 (3 awards in 5 years!)

John Ford- 1940, 1941

William Wyler- 1942, 1946

Joseph L. Mankiewicz- 1949, 1950

Robert Wise- 1961, 1965

David Lean was the last director to win BP and BD two times in a row, for Bridge on the River Kwai in 1957 and Lawrence of Arabia in 1962.But, Joseph L. Mankiewicz managed to win BD in both 1949 and 1950, with the latter of the films (All About Eve) also taking BP.

TKS won because its the typical Oscar bait movies the Academy loved to jizz all over. They failed to notice that TSN was a smarter and much more relevant movie. Im from England so I should be happy of TKS's win, but I wasn't. It was good, but TSN was a near masterpiece.

Avatar vs. THL was what the media tried to make it look like the race was because we all love David/Goliath stories. I'd bet money that Avatar didn't actually come second.

It doesn't matter, it's impossible to know where it actually came. It could have came last for all we knew but to be honest, I hardly care about what a bunch of old pretentious douche bags think about a movie anyways. More often than not they get it wrong, so I tend to ignore the Oscars. Shakespeare in love over Saving private Ryan? lol okay then