#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, B J said:

You've got some good memory, X deleted over 65% of my posts at BOM that October day, he posts on the regular at KJ, all is forgiven.

Well that is good, If I remember right, he deleted Archangel's Lord of the rings mega thread.  That torqued me up,

4 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

I've said this before and it's been posted already today, HP still had about 40 showings at AMC Empire at midnight and after. Last night, TFA had about 40 showings between 7-5am.

Just because it starts at 7, doesn't mean all theaters go full TFA. Movies that came out at midnight usually did go Full new release.

No shit they don't go full TFA, I understand that movies are contracted for specific 7-10pm slots. Still doesn't change my mind it was way easier to go see it & get a good nights sleep compared to HP8. There would've been less $ on the preview # had it been released at 12:01am. Can't convince me otherwise.

Edited by GiantCALBears

I feel like even if both had the same amount of show times, wouldn't it be easier for people to go to a 7 or10:40 showing than midnight? Definitely seems likes slight edge to me but given that (like someone beat me too) SW made 50+ vs say 45 or so, it just shows that it would of won probably either way.

• Like 1

I watched it wednesday in France the morning, not a lot of people in France in theater the morning in the middle of the week. it was PACKED and the reactions were awesome : clapping and cheering during the opening.

the movie will be HUGE here and considering the christmas vacations begin this evening...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

I've said this before and it's been posted already today, HP still had about 40 showings at AMC Empire at midnight and after. Last night, TFA had about 40 showings between 7-5am.

Just because it starts at 7, doesn't mean all theaters go full TFA. Movies that came out at midnight usually did go Full new release.

Actually 54 shows.  Sold out 31.

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

If it follows Twilight: New Moon it will make 311m OW  :ph34r:

My brother has spent that last two months trying to explain to me why it would make over 300m opening wknd, I still refuse to believe such can happen, though it is possible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I'll bet $ neither of these movies breaks the record, ESP Infinity Wars. Has zero chance based on what we saw from AOU.

What about what we saw from Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier and even, to a slightly lesser degree, Ant Man? Audience is loving the new characters. They only need to keep bringing in fresh characters and storylines and maintain quality close GotG or Winter Soldier and they will have a truly phenomenal hit in their hands.

4 minutes ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

If TFA did $50 million, you may have an argument based on earlier showtimes, 3D %, and a little bit of inflation.  But when the 57 number came in, there is no doubt.

For the record, I am not hating on Potter's amazing midnight performance in 2011 either.  Just wowed by that 57 million number.

It beat HP8 in admissions I don't deny that, I'm saying it was easier to get tickets & to see SW7 at a reasonable hour. That's all, it's worth noting.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

I feel like even if both had the same amount of show times, wouldn't it be easier for people to go to a 7 or10:40 showing than midnight? Definitely seems likes slight edge to me but given that (like someone beat me too) SW made 50+ vs say 45 or so, it just shows that it would of won probably either way.

Thank you K1 for stating it how I intended.

• Like 2