#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

That's your opinion, not reality. Go back through holiday releases & look at the Sunday drops for a bunch of different films recently from I Am Legend, to the Hobbit to Tron Legacy in comparison to theSaturday holds too. The only thing to hold well on that Sunday pre holiday last decade was Avatar & there was a huge snowstorm that Friday & Saturday which clearly affected the OW holds.

Nobodys saying the Sunday hold will be better than the Saturday one.  But you're the only one thinking Sunday will be abysmal compared to Saturday and Sunday.

If it holds like CF it's going to push 270m OW, and that dealt with NFL.  I'm just saying, nobody is going to not see Star Wars because of football.  There's plenty of time on Sunday to watch your game and Star Wars.

You also aren't taking spillover into account.  There's never been an opening over 100m (let alone 200m) in December until now.  Saturday shows will sellout, and like with any other big opener demand will spillover onto Sunday.

Just now, stuart360 said:

Saturday may not even increase as today is a huge shopping day. The record is far from certain but i couldn't care less, anything over $200mil is ridiculous for this time of the year.

I just put a breakdown where it pulls a ultron on saturday and falls 30% on Sunday and still beats Dino by 10 million

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Saturday may not even increase as today is a huge shopping day. The record is far from certain but i couldn't care less, anything over $200mil is ridiculous for this time of the year.

It'd have to have an internal multiplier far worse than DH2 (or TFIOS for that matter) to miss the record.  It'd be an all time worst internal multiplier to miss the record.  Shopping or no shopping, it's getting the Ow record with ease.

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:

Nobodys saying the Sunday hold will be better than the Saturday one.  But you're the only one thinking Sunday will be abysmal compared to Saturday and Sunday.

If it holds like CF it's going to push 270m OW, and that dealt with NFL.  I'm just saying, nobody is going to not see Star Wars because of football.  There's plenty of time on Sunday to watch your game and Star Wars.

You also aren't taking spillover into account.  There's never been an opening over 100m (let alone 200m) in December until now.  Saturday shows will sellout, and like with any other big opener demand will spillover onto Sunday.

The spillover can be any day next week that's what you seem to not be getting. Monday's hold/gross will prove I was right. 

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

The spillover can be any day next week that's what you seem to not be getting. Monday's hold/gross will prove I was right. 

I'll be you on it.  Under 35% Sunday drop and you change your avatar to a panda for the rest of the month.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

I do have proof, I just gave it to you. For those questioning the impact of sports on BO I refer you to AOU OW.

That weekend was obvious as that fight was an EVENT, the games tomorrow are not. Didnt you say "football and shopping" earlier?Well there you go, shopping could be a big reason, or church, or travel, or weather, or even basketball.

Not everyones a football fan, and not everyone loves it religiously where they have to sit at home all day watching every game and checking their fantasy.

I have plenty of friends that play fantasy and they dont sit and analyze the games. Someone can set their fantasy set then go outside and do non-NFL things. You dont have to actually watch to get your points.

There will be an impact, as always, but it will not be as harsh as you make it sound, and it will not only be because of football. People having to sit in a traffic jam at the mall parking lot will probably be more damaging then Sundays pathetic slate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jandrew said:

"You dont know what youre talking about"

Now THATS how you debate!!!

Sorry but it's the truth, just like the same people who thought all the sporting events on AOU Saturday wouldn't have an noticeable effect/crossover. We will find out soon enough.

Edited by GiantCALBears

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Sorry but it's the truth, just like the same people who thought all the sporting events on AOU Saturday wouldn't have an noticeable effect/crossover. We will find out soon enough.

Such a bad comparison.  EVERYONE watched the fight on AoU's Saturday.  None of the games are Sunday are events where they'd have a noticeable impact beyond what you'd expect.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

That weekend was obvious as that fight was an EVENT, the games tomorrow are not. Didnt you say "football and shopping" earlier?Well there you go, shopping could be a big reason, or church, or travel, or weather, or even basketball.

Not everyones a football fan, and not everyone loves it religiously where they have to sit at home all day watching every game and checking their fantasy.

I have plenty of friends that play fantasy and they dont sit and analyze the games. Someone can set their fantasy set then go outside and do non-NFL things. You dont have to actually watch to get your points.

There will be an impact, as always, but it will not be as harsh as you make it sound, and it will not only be because of football. People having to sit in a traffic jam at the mall parking lot will probably be more damaging then Sundays pathetic slate.

Again that's your opinion & anecdotal examples don't prove your point either. Clearly we disagree & will find out the truth shortly.

11 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

It'd have to have an internal multiplier far worse than DH2 (or TFIOS for that matter) to miss the record.  It'd be an all time worst internal multiplier to miss the record.  Shopping or no shopping, it's getting the Ow record with ease.

Don't forget there will be a ton of people who have decided to see the film Christmas weekend.

Today will also be the final free Christmas shopping day for a lot of people.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

So what are we looking at for worldwide numbers this first weekend

500-550m?

I am wondering about the countries where the movie opened on wednesday, do they count Wednesday/Thursday numbers as weekend numbers?

• Like 1