#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

No, the assumption is that Disney is being very conservative and it's almost certain to go up.

We sure about this? Any Sunday drop below 30% at this time of year is really good. I feel like this forum is being awfully optimistic.

Would love to see $240M+ though. Now the question is, what kind of Monday number will we have? Anything above $20M is good. $26M+ (higher than JW) would be legendary. Not sure why everyone is expecting $30M+ tomorrow. That's a recipe for more disappointment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Posting for first time all day. Are we assuming the Sunday estimate is spot on?

Nah a lot of us assumed they were lowballing.  DHD had it pegged at 120.7/69.1/54.5, and said rivals expecting 241-246M.  

Rth came on a few hours ago and said he expected it to go up from 48.8M projection.

Samantha Usrey@sammyypaigeee 2 minutes ago

Going to see Star Wars... And the line to get in the movie is outside... I'm not standing outside to see this stupid movie

:lol:

Steve Hemmelgarn@FishOwtOfH2O 4 minutes ago

I just saw the biggest nerd. Harry Potter fan in full garb casting a spell on a Star Wars fan standing in line at the movies takes the cake.

• Like 2

Theory 

people knew knew the the movie will be big and lines will be very long and sold out. People didn't go on first 3 days. There was a tweet by gitesh pandya which indicated this where he said Disney are trying to convince people tickets are still available  for Friday and Saturday. This might indicate that Sunday will match Saturday as people thinking lines will be ending 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

It's a good sign Australia and the UK were both amazing Sunday holds. Those are the markets most similar to USA/Canada. Maybe we can get $61m Sunday for a $250m weekend. That would be epic. 

Is this sarcasm?

A $12M increase from estimates is unheard of. Avatar, Avengers and Passion of the Christ were considered way underestimated and they were off by about $8M maximum.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I think you have that backwards. SW is more influential to Marvel than vice versa, at least with the quick wit. That's almost certainly what Rich was saying.

OBVIOUSLY Star Wars is more influential to Marvel than vice versa. You are completely generalizing and misinterpreting my statement. I am saying that in one small aspect of the comedic dialogue, I see similarities. And of course Star Wars has its signature quick wit. I just think a bit of it in Episode 7 took on a similar tone to some of the Marvel films. To extrapolate that into me saying Marvel is more influential than Star Wars (which would be a ridiculous concept) completely misses my point. Star Wars is one of the most influential films in the history of cinema. 

And this is just an opinion and not even a criticism. Seeing the film again Wednesday, will see how I feel after a 2nd viewing with regards to this.

Edited by Moviedweeb

Just now, superduperm said:

Is this sarcasm?

A $12M increase from estimates is unheard of. Avatar, Avengers and Passion of the Christ were considered way underestimated and they were off by about $8M maximum.

Disney lowballed big time. 29% drop for a mega opener with strong WOM is unheard of, plus there are students and workers on vacation tomorrow who should be able to see it more easily tonight than a normal weekend. 

• Like 2