#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If it was a summer release, your statement would be 100% right. But we don't know how things will go with all of the Christmas stuff happening this weekend. It will be a factor. Question is how big of a factor it might be. The proof will be in the pudding.

Yeah, a lot of people are actually going to be busy doing other stuff this weekend. The previews-to-OW ratio for this movie might make it look pretty frontloaded.

Plus, count me as one of the people who'd argue that the enormous hype scared at least some people off. And will continue to do so throughout the weekend.

When I was at the concession stand last night, standing in line with about 40-50 people, I turned around, and there were a grand total of 2 people at the ticket kiosk. And they were probably just printing up tickets they had pre-ordered. There were 0 people at the actual ticket counter. Probably not a big day for walk-up sales.

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I would argue the second week end will be more interesting for Force Awakens, BO wise.

That s when we will have most of the answers.

Yeah. Next weekend, after Christmas, when everyone is on vacation, is going to really put up a stunning number. That's simply when people go to movies this time of year. The 2nd weekend and 2nd week numbers should be epic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kitik said:

When I was at the concession stand last night, standing in line with about 40-50 people, I turned around, and there were a grand total of 2 people at the ticket kiosk. And they were probably just printing up tickets they had pre-ordered. There were 0 people at the actual ticket counter. Probably not a big day for walk-up sales.

Excel is gonna come on here and claim victory (even in MASSIVE defeat) if you keep writing stuff like that. :lol:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I may not see it again tonight. I've had trouble sleeping all week. I need to catch up on that this weekend and going to 1:30AM movie will throw a wrench in those plans.

I'm in the theater right now waiting to see it a second time in about 13 hour span :P

• Like 5

Remember to break the opening record on a weekend that is not the most apt to break the record and where a lot of business's will be back loaded due to future holidays....

Perspective people

Like  myself none of my close friends or family are watching this film this weekend. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I don't understand the people who will see the film several times the same day, or even the day after. I'm a gigantic fan too, and I just don't get it. How can you enjoy it fully if you don't let it stew a bit, sit on it, think about it, reflect on it. I saw it two days ago, and am waiting for next thursday to see it in 2D (only 3D showings so far), and then in laser projection on sunday. 

That way, it's not completely fresh in my mind, I've had time to think about it, forget some stuff and that will make the second and subsequent viewings that much better. I mean, to each his own, but that seems like such a waste.

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Lol some of you seeing it twice (or more) in the same day, pretty hilarious.

Nice job taking down HP8, very interested to see how front loaded this is going to be.

Before serving crow please wait till the weekday numbers...

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Lol some of you seeing it twice (or more) in the same day, pretty hilarious.

Nice job taking down HP8, very interested to see how front loaded this is going to be.

Why is it hilarious? A lot of people want to see it again and don't mind going the same day. Even if it's not your personal preference, who are you to judge?

• Like 2

Am I reading some of this incorrectly?

Are there people here who are:

A) Doubting the OD record

B] Doubting ow record

C) implying this will have less than a three multiplier?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Why is it hilarious? A lot of people want to see it again and don't mind going the same day. Even if it's not your personal preference, who are you to judge?

It's called having my own brain & opinion. I'm allowed to judge it however I want, thanks though. Movie will be out until summer next year so other than beating spoilers, paying to see it more than once (or more) in 12-24 hours is really funny to me. Goes for any of these fanatical releases.

Edited by GiantCALBears

5 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Am I reading some of this incorrectly?

Are there people here who are:

A) Doubting the OD record

B] Doubting ow record

C) implying this will have less than a three multiplier?

Here in canada all three are done deal imo.

I know a lot of people are saying Potter was only midnight. But I distinctly remember the theater showing it at 8pm. I do live in Boston, so maybe Boston operates differently. It's sad to see the potter record go though. I was hoping Potter could keep the preview record and Star Wars getting all the rest. 

Oh, I remember the lines and times of just sitting in any theater since all was playing it. That's slowly fading out. Even for this, there was no lines for me -- I enjoyed you guys posts of lines. I went to a reserved seating theater and people just casually arrived. 

The disney marketing and hype train is so crazy! Like no other! With them owning ABC, ESPN, the way America vacations, it's like they control every angle. And can fine-tune the marketing like no other. 

(Cough Spielberg >>> Lucas)

• Like 3