AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Just now, Dr 3va2an said:

In the movie they do say that they lost the Republic fleet. Probably a combination of much of it being stationed in the Hosnian system and with the leadership gone, the remnants are too scattered and confused to come to the Resistance's aid in time.

Since the Republic is covertly supporting the Resistance, I doubt there is an open line between Leia and any Republic ship. With Hosnian Prime down there's no direct way of communicating with whoever is left.

I'm sure they can figure a way to communicate the rest of the remnants of the fleet.  Just cause they lost the heart of the New Republic doesn't mean its the end of the Resistance or those that supported it.  Its not like the New Republic was one planetary system.

Just now, Dr 3va2an said:

I did find it interesting that the capital of the Republic in the movie is not Coruscant. Someone in the film says the Starkiller blew up the "Hosnian" system, and Hosnian Prime on the new canon galactic map is quite separate from where Coruscant is.

Kinda odd that the Republic wouldn't reestablish its center on Coruscant.

That is a good point that Coruscant should have been New Republic's capitol.

Just read this while typing.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coruscant

After the war, the New Republic opted to move the capital from Coruscant and instead member worlds would rotate hosting the Senate.

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

A few points after my 3rd viewing.

-Definitely very rewatchable. 

-the hand that holds young Rey in flashback is definitely the junkyard boss. It's also his voice.  It's not a human hand. 

-an aspect to the Force awakening in Rey also has to be her awareness of it being triggered by Ren using it on her. He isn't fully trained and doesn't have total control.  His lack of control allowed Rey's natural strength with the Force to see his fears about Vader.  This also allowed her to see what was possible with Force. It was a jumpstart which lead to her manipulating the guard. 

-the final fight.  Ren is pretty badly wounded. He punches the wound several times to use the pain to keep himself alert for the fight.  Fin is pretty clumsy against Ren and probably only got one blow in due to Ren's overconfidence in his own abilities.  Throughout the Rey/Ren fight she's backtracking and fending off Ren's attacks almost the entire fight until the moment they pause. It's very clear he pauses the fight because he wants to turn her.  Snoke has already instructed Ren to take Rey to him.  It's then that Rey lets the Force flow through her. 

-The Balance of Power in the Galaxy. How much exposition do people want? The opening scroll and a few of the lines of dialogue set up the current situation pretty clearly.  The Emperor died in ROTJ and subsequently the Empire collapsed. Elements of the Empire coalesced around Snoke as the First Order. Many other systems in the galaxy attempted to re-establish the Republic of old with the New Republic.  The remaining military elements of the Empire must have been split between these two forces. Neither was powerful enough to defeat the other. However, the First Order was guided by the dark side of the Force.  The Resistance arose, covertly supported by the New Republic, to fight the First Order.  That's the situation at the start of the movie. 

I too picked up on that on my third viewing.  So he took care of her as a child and he must have chained allegiance over the years and became a first order supporter.  As for the awakening stuff, excellent analysis, that is kind of how I see it as well.  Her awakening definitely goes into second gear when she is with Ren.  But she does use some of the force while piloting the Falcon.  Her reflexes are like anakin's in the pod race. 

• Like 3

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mon_Mothma

Following the death of Palpatine and the destruction of the second Death Star, Mon Mothma became the elected leader of the New Republic, this being administered from her homeworld of Chandrila, the new galactic capitol. She was determined to de-militarize and restore a strong democracy to the galaxy, despite the militaristic objections of some of her advisors.[6]

I have this book Aftermath.

On page 85 it mentions that Mon Mothma needs to get back to Chandrila for the Senates first official day back as Galactic's new Senate.  This was also around 30 years before TFA since she is the first Chancellor since the New Republic was established.

Edited by Klingo

I read a theory (KoTOR fans obviously) that Ren might have had her memory wiped by the force and that her memory of being abandoned on the planet as a child was actually made up. It would certainly explain a lot of her skills and how she can use the force so well so quickly. 

Now, I don't think it's particular good, but it would certainly make for an outstanding plot twist. 

• Like 1

Just now, SofNascimento said:

I read a theory (KoTOR fans obviously) that Ren might have had her memory wiped by the force and that her memory of being abandoned on the planet as a child was actually made up. It would certainly explain a lot of her skills and how she can use the force so well so quickly. 

Now, I don't think it's particular good, but it would certainly make for an outstanding plot twist. 

Nah!  Bad theory. 

2 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

Not Ren, but Luke himself....he would have her memory wiped.  Here's my theory, and sorry if this has been posted before, I haven't read all 100 pages:

Luke has a daughter.  Leia and Han have Ben.

Both are sent to Luke's Jedi training academy.

Ben becomes Kylo Ren and does unspeakable things.  Luke feels responsible and seeks exile.

Somehow Max Von Sydow played a part in Rey's upbringing on Jakku as well.  He knows Ben/Kylo and he is an old friend of Leia

Luke drops Rey off on Jakku with the junkdealer....in her flashback when she first touches the sabre, she is crying and watching the ship leave...that's probably Luke, her father, leaving.

He has her memory wiped and leaves her on that planet with Von Sydow to keep an eye on her as well as the junk dealer.

He has seen that the dark side seduced his nephew so he fears his own daughter also being seduced by the dark side.  But before she is dropped off at Jakku, she had plenty of training in the Jedi ways and her being the first blood line with Luke, she is obviously very naturally gifted with the force.  Her awakening took place with Ren.  They definitely were part of the same training class and she would be much more naturally in tune with the force than he is...hence the battle in the forest takes place and the results ensue.

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer Fett said:

I too picked up on that on my third viewing.  So he took care of her as a child and he must have chained allegiance over the years and became a first order supporter.  As for the awakening stuff, excellent analysis, that is kind of how I see it as well.  Her awakening definitely goes into second gear when she is with Ren.  But she does use some of the force while piloting the Falcon.  Her reflexes are like anakin's in the pod race. 

People point out how Luke can learn to pilot a fighter X wing.  In the comics they show him as a kid racing in a small ship with other friends.  We don't know all of Rey's life on Jakku.  We do know she can fight shown in the movie.  We know she was confident being a pilot considering that Finn asked her that they need a pilot while under fired running to a ship.     

9 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

They are not. They are called Legacy now I reckon. The only cannon stuff is the Clone Wars series, Rebels, the new stuff and the films obiviously. 

Thanks. I started on the Clone Wars but never anything else. 

1 hour ago, Klingo said:

People point out how Luke can learn to pilot a fighter X wing.  In the comics they show him as a kid racing in a small ship with other friends.  We don't know all of Rey's life on Jakku.  We do know she can fight shown in the movie.  We know she was confident being a pilot considering that Finn asked her that they need a pilot while under fired running to a ship.     

She did say she had piloted different craft but had never left the atmosphere. 

Not to beat the dead horse here, but I couldn't stop noticing on my second viewing that Finn asks Rey if she has a "cute" boyfriend, corroborating to my suspicion that Finn is gay. Is there any plausible situation where a straight male would ask a female such question wording it the way he did?